City of Austin Texas

www.austintexas.gov

City of Austin Texas Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Lee Leffingwell

City workers are too laid back, cause inefficiency

ProsMost office jobs have easy day hours. Best for workers with families. There is job security and plenty of vacation, holiday time. You can wear comfortable work attire. Employees have pride in the city's success.

ConsToo many people get lazy in government work. Employees lack Innovation initiatives and drive. People get comfy and show up for the paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure mid level management strives to improve processes and seek career growth for their teams. Make management more accountable.

Would not work there again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAustin! The best city ever!

ConsHigh employee turnover -- may be due to burnout. Planning for community meetings eventually takes a toll - heavy boards to load and unload of municipal cars, ungrateful or even antagonistic citizens (understandable to some degree), long meetings.

There were some "problem" employees but management chose to look away. Management team was not the best back then, could've changed by now.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a hard department to manage, given the nature of the work and high employee turnout. Advice to management: recommend more Power Point Presentations and less cardboard maps, they are huge, expensive to print and horrible to carry.

Great place to work

Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits were very generous and pay was not significantly less than private sector. Management was responsive to my needs. Recommend this company to anyone.

ConsSome rules seemed arbitrary, but this is often the case with large public entities. This by no means hindered me greatly from completing my work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive and room to move laterally

Administrative Senior (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOnce you get a permanent position, it is easy to move around departments until you find one you enjoy. The benefits are incredible.

ConsIt is a lot of managing red tape, for yourself and to help citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of employee's skills more. A lot of people were in positions that were not necessarily the best fit.

Each department is different, make sure you do your research first

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe couple of friends I made while in this position helped me get through all of the cons of this position. I am lucky I had nice co-workers and I don't know what I would have done without them.

Cons-Work environment- white noise, depressing cubes, no artwork or color on the walls in the building
    -Culture- laziness, things rarely get completed
    -Location- each department has a different location so don't be fooled when your interview is at City Hall and then you are put in an old building in a bad part of town.
    -Poor management, rarely saw or spoke to my manager or any supervisors
    -Low pay, if you start as a temp they will wait as long as possible before giving you a full time position or benefits.
    -Expect the hiring process to take anywhere from 4 to 6 months.
    -HR will not return your emails or phone calls
    -Almost no team bonding
    -Everyone is unhappy and most people just stay for the long term benefits
    -Not open to new ideas or change
    -No raises, slow career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide beneficial training opportunities to your employees, know what projects your employees are working on, know when your employees are at work and listen to your employees.

It was a decent summer job

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDecent pay for lifeguarding, training was good, flexible hours

ConsI have nothing bad to say

Great benefits, difficult people

Public Information Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe City has great pay and benefits for the type of job I had while working there. The ability to retire after 20-ish years working for them is really awesome.

ConsThe people can be very difficult to work with, and projects take an eternity to finish. Red tape is a very real thing and makes it tough to do things quickly. If you prefer to have a consistent amount of work (rather than nothing and then a ton that's due out of nowhere), I wouldn't recommend working for the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe nature of the city means that your employees either have no work or have so much that they have to stay late. I think this makes employees seem lazy, but really they're nervous to take on new projects. Then they're stressballs when they get a crazy project that has to be done right away. To prevent this, you need to have good time management skills with achievable timelines. Be organized!

Very pleasant low stress

Program Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPlenty of training, and plenty of time to implement.

ConsSlow to make things happen, and a stoic culture.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

It was a very enjoyable, yet hectic place to work.

Internet Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people you meet are all overworked yet show up each to do the business of the citizens of Austin.

ConsSalaries are a little low compared to similar titles in the region.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Good Place

Sanitarian (Current Employee)

ProsStrong Leadership, good work life balance

Conspay and advancement takes forever

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Worked for City of Austin Texas? Contribute to the Community!