City of Austin Texas

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.3

Lee Leffingwell

An enjoyable place of employment.

Current Employee - Assistant City Attorney in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant City Attorney in Austin, TX

I have been working at City of Austin Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, Hours, Benefits, and Experience

Cons

The salary is not good and there's no room for upward mobility.

Lack of challenge and questionable leadership

Former Employee - Utility Account Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Utility Account Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas

Pros

Benefits and time off to volunteer and exercise

Cons

Management team consists of long time employees who over time are promoted to positions for which they are not qualified. It matters to know the right people if you want to get ahead. Knowledge, skills and experience are minor factors.

If an employee is not performimg to the highest level, find out and give them training, tools, etc to better better employees. If they are underperforming after that, then fire them or demote them.

Fastest Growing City, Worst Senior Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas full-time

Pros

Pension Plan (if you can stay that long) and Benefits

Cons

Its all about politics and not about what you know but who you know. The Director of Public Works has put his faith in individuals who are incompetent and collect a paycheck. There are two Assistant Directors that actually work hard but their preferred way of communication is yelling at their managers and employees who report to them. There are two Public Works Executives that never come to work but that has never been looked into due to Political Reasons. I would stay clear away from this place.. Other Departments in the City might be a little better but not Public Works.

Stop yelling at employees and give individual promotions based on performance instead of who they know.

Misrable

Former Employee - Line Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Line Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and training that's it.

Cons

Pay sucks, the administration is all two faced and are all about covering their Butts and leaving everyone else hanging out. They preach safety out one side of their face yet work you ungodly hours in a row and then threaten you when you bulk at a job because of safety issues. They promote the dumbest and most ignorant individuals. I have 2 College degrees and numerous certifications in plumbing and building trade yet I made less money than the 4 guys on my crew that didn't even have GED's.
    I got a DUI because I worked 36 hours and was up so long that the Police officer decided I was drinking. I was let go because I failed to protect my CDL? I was found not guilty in a TX Court of law but was still let go and denied Unemployment. Talk about standing behind your people and supporting them. I didn't see any support.

Management was a joke and the HR Department was nothing but a bunch miserable evil people that seemed to find any opportunity they could to screw you and always hold over your head. They spent Millions on a couple to change the work ethic of the city and management was the ones that sabotaged the whole thing.

Questionable ethics

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission, lots of potential, good training opportunities

Cons

Stagnant office culture - very fear-based; turnover is high because management is terrible and actively ignores issues or confronts in questionably ethical ways; creativity and progressive thought is stamped out if conflicts with a manager's ego.

Get a consultant and clean that place out. Office culture reinforces laziness and mediocrity. Quit moving problem people around to different unit because managers are too scared to fire them bc they'll air dirty laundry.

Good experience

I worked at City of Austin Texas as an intern

Pros

It was a interesting experience

Cons

Work could have been more challenging

City of Austin Golf Division

Current Employee - Shop Clerk in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Shop Clerk in Austin, TX

I have been working at City of Austin Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers
    Great Clients
    Great Management
    Free Golf

Cons

You may have to work more hours than expected because they only have a limited amount of employees at each course.

City workers are too laid back, cause inefficiency

I have been working at City of Austin Texas as a contractor

Pros

Most office jobs have easy day hours. Best for workers with families. There is job security and plenty of vacation, holiday time. You can wear comfortable work attire. Employees have pride in the city's success.

Cons

Too many people get lazy in government work. Employees lack Innovation initiatives and drive. People get comfy and show up for the paycheck.

Ensure mid level management strives to improve processes and seek career growth for their teams. Make management more accountable.

Would not work there again.

I worked at City of Austin Texas

Pros

Austin! The best city ever!

Cons

High employee turnover -- may be due to burnout. Planning for community meetings eventually takes a toll - heavy boards to load and unload of municipal cars, ungrateful or even antagonistic citizens (understandable to some degree), long meetings.

There were some "problem" employees but management chose to look away. Management team was not the best back then, could've changed by now.

It is a hard department to manage, given the nature of the work and high employee turnout. Advice to management: recommend more Power Point Presentations and less cardboard maps, they are huge, expensive to print and horrible to carry.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at City of Austin Texas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were very generous and pay was not significantly less than private sector. Management was responsive to my needs. Recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

Some rules seemed arbitrary, but this is often the case with large public entities. This by no means hindered me greatly from completing my work.

City of Austin Texas Photos