City of Beaumont Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

CEO

Good job, decent pay, great benefits.

I have been working at City of Beaumont full-time

Pros

As a government employee the market and economy rarely effect your job. Its the slow and steady investment with an expected outcome. You won't get rich, but you rarely have to worry about losing your job, or getting fired.

Cons

As with all government jobs and employees you are on a very unwieldy ship. Progress is slow, better options or choices typically aren't obtainable due to red tape and politics. Also, you occasionally have to work with incompetent coworkers who affect your daily work load. Did I mention it's hard to lose your job? No one ever gets fired except on super rare occasions.

Team building never hurt anyone; fire, demote, or at least move around the incompetence otherwise it spoils the good fruit. All in all a good job and a good place to work.

Great Government Employment

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at City of Beaumont full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Insurance options are fantastic for individuals and families alike. Many great perks such as holidays off, vacation, etc.

Cons

Pay if low compared to the private sector. Subject to open records and politics.

Frustrating, but typical government environment, not able to change or make quick decisions.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at City of Beaumont

Pros

Stable environment with retirement and benefits; no pressure or stress.

Cons

Job can be done poorly or very well, it doesn't matter - everyone treated the same.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay, don't stay.

Current Employee - Lab Tech  in  Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at City of Beaumont

Pros

Gaining experience and meeting people that might advance your career. Some people that I worked with are very nice and easy to get along. the job itself is very easy and I caught on very fast.

Cons

Supervisor is stupid and unorganized, disrespectful and just doesn't have it together. EVERYONE knows this but no one has ever tried to fix it. Scheduling was a complete nightmare and always talked about way too much. The senior employees acted reluctant to give out information concerning equiptment/ materials because it was like they were afraid if you knew more than them. and there was lots of back talk. one person would tell you one thing, another would tell something else, and then in the end the person who told you wrong would lie to my face and say that they said something different, this happened all the time.

Quit now for the good of the company.

Good job, worst management

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst

I have been working at City of Beaumont full-time

Pros

You get to meet employees, policemen, firefighters, ems of the city and become part of a family. Technology is about 5 years behind but enterprise level so your experience here is still usable in a resume. Pay is average for the area and retirement is easy to achieve if you like being mediocre.

Cons

Middle management is the worst I have ever experienced. There is no direction or vision for the department, the director is very uninvolved and there really isn't room for growth. Ideas and intelligence are slapped down and its "the way we've done it for 15 years" or your yelled at for questioning their "wisdom". You either fall in line as a robot or your targeted by the insecure middle management. They are insecure because one is a math teacher and the.other is a trained monkey.

Middle management needs to go away and get replaced by actual technical expertise. Director needs to be much more involved.

Worked for City of Beaumont? Contribute to the Community!