City of Burlington

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great location, great community

Strategic Planning (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

Prosclose knit staff; benefits, educational opportunities

Consmost staff have been here a long time so limited advancement

Inspiring

ProsThe city (location) is comfortable. The employer takes care of its people.The package of benefits is very good. Positive work environment

ConsNot many career opportunities of

Enjoyable but unorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- staff very laid back and open to suggestions and critiques
    - thorough and informative training program

Cons- programs are often disorganized
    - camp programs are understaffed - especially diversity program

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to select more professional employees appropriate for each position.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Start Out

Cashier (Former Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsHours weren't too demanding, especially for full-time students.
    Environment was comfortable, didn't feel out of place- felt included.
    Working with the public was definitely a positive aspect.

ConsThere was a lack of communication through my supervisor at times. The other staff I would work with were mostly laid-back and at times careless. One staff was late just about every shift and I would have to take over not only my job but his also.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall it was a positive experience. For my first job I felt prepared for my work. However it's important to re-evaluate who is a team player and who isn't.

Great people, decent job but no real new technical skills to be acquired.

Application Analyst (Current Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

Pros- Great pension plan (If you stay)
    - People are great
    - Good work/life balance
    - Free gym (small but at least there is something)

Cons- Low pay band for what we do. We are in the same pay range as a help desk technician.
    - If you are a technical person, there is not much to learn since most software purchased is out of box. Usually the software purchased was chosen for its price, not quality.
    - No real initiative to use more relevant means of communication with customers, online services are at best primitive
    - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to most things technical. No real drive to be more up-to-date in terms of technology or even in terms of reviewing current processes to see if there are better more efficient ways. People who have been there for 20 years have been doing things the same for the last 20 years and do not want to change.
    - Too many committees
    - Employee reviews are usually late, about 4-6 months out

Advice to Senior ManagementMany departmental changes are communicated via email. I think this is poor communication on behalf of management. Why can they not give us some face time? Even 30 minutes to announce a change in the way we do business would be appreciated.

Great place, but as with everything it has its down sides

Applications Analyst (Current Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat pay, excellent people, good work enviroment. Benefits are excellent and the vacation is par with other employers at the same level.

ConsAs with all government, things run at a snails pace. The glaciers melt faster than decisions are made. Software is usually decided on as what is the cheapest thing that can be thrown in place. Very little internal development, almost everything to the bare essentials are bought, and supported externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately there is no advice I can give at this time, the path of management is decided by council, and until council realizes theres an aging technology infrastructure, nothing will happen.

Worked for City of Burlington? Contribute to the Community!