City of Calgary

Be The First To
Add Photos

City of Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi

Naheed Nenshi

Pros
  • Perhaps the best part about working at CoC was the work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• In most areas, the flextime and flexible work options are available and encouraged(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The business units operate as their own areas with no regard to the CIty as a whole(in 3 reviews)

• There is absolutely no technical career track(in 2 reviews)

Great employer

Environmental Department (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Proslife work balance, interesting and challenging work, opportunities for growth, great co-workers, innovative, forward-thinking, accepting culture

Consbureaucracy, large organisation, some unmotivated employees (can't speak for entire organisation, as it's 15,000 employees)

Fantastic Experience - Wish to Work For Again

Summer Student (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros-Very work-life balance oriented
    -Supportive in both learning and work place moral
    -Good wage
    -Union support
    -Many work-life balance programs
    -Services and amenities like lunch-eatery access
    -Strong focus on erganomics and overall health of employee

Cons-Managers can be quite busy and hard to get ahold of sometimes
    -IT can be a bit slow to respond sometimes
    -Can be hard to stay in the City because of Union red tape

Best job for someone going to secondary education

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood experience, Great pay, Awesome Bosses, Lots of Responsibility,

ConsSometimes the work is less than savoury but that comes with any labour job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

tons of career opportunities

Infrastructure Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsInteresting, rewarding work for the common good

Consworking in a union environment can be a challenge

Good workplace bu short sighted

Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe CoC has very good flexible work options. You can stagger start & stop time, and work within various extended hours over base 35 hrs to earn a day off every 2 or 3 weeks.

ConsI worked in a variety of "limited term" roles, ie positions funded by capital budget rather than operating budget. Even though the need for the role would always be there, the position is temporary and you're always looking for the next job. Downfall is that they train someone for two years only to let them go when they are making their greatest contributions.
    Also administration had a knack for defining policies for which there was no way to implement, sustain, or enforce.

Poor place to get ahead for smart people. Management show favoritism in Supply Management. Lower pay

Buyer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood work-life balance, every second Friday off.

ConsVery political. Limited way to develop your career due to internal politics. It would seem that managers like to give preference to their friends and other people they like. It is apparent if they do not like you as they will pass you for promotion.

The interview process is a joke. Most of the people can tell you who is going to get the job before the process is complete. Sr.Management will "highly suggest" that certain people apply for the promotions.. and no surprise, these people get the job.

It should be a fair and transparent process but to everybody in Supply Management who has been working here, we all see how these people manipulate the process and award it to their close friends. Very disheartening and shows little integrity.

It is also good to note that it is a unionized environment. This means that there are those who will rat on you if you leave 10 minutes early. Even though you came in half an hour early, they have to accost you due to the "perception" that you are leaving earlier. My goodness, in all my years I have never seen adults being treated like children. They give you a "warning" that somebody is watching you..... really? What sort of environment is this?

However, if you are a permanent employee or a favorite, you can go on 15 min smoke breaks 4 times a day. But a temporary worker would be scrutinized. Sorry state of affairs in Supply Management. Who has time to be "watching" when people come and go? Laughable.

I really feel sorry for temporary people. Just get your experience and leave. That is the best course of action. They will not promote you , they will not develop you, they do not care.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop placing your friends who are unqualified into higher positions. You are draining the work force, especially in Supply Management. Most of the superstars or qualified young employees leave because of this type of favoritism. Don't be old dinosaurs who are scared of change and try to protect your pensioned jobs. You are destroying the City of Calgary's reputation.

Employed through a agency the City of Calgary

ProsThe City of Calgary is a nice environment.

ConsNoisy, due to the cubicles. Limited chance of direct employment since they use agencies to fill positions. This is due to budget structures.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving so much knowledge in a long-term agency employee is not good for the City.

Average place to work. If you want stability this is the place. No an exciting place to work for.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsStability. Pay is not bad and comparable to private sectors. Great life/work balance. Most of the people are nice to work with.

ConsBureaucracy and redundant processes. Management have no idea on how to make the organization becoming more efficient. Lack of training opportunities. Very political driven.

Pleasant experience

Prosgreat work/life balance, job security, health programs

Consno bonus, poor career development programs, no feedback or annual reviews

Easy going learning experience

Assessment Assistant (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFriday's off, well paid, great managers.

ConsSometimes slower, more tedious work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management, easy going, friendly

Worked for City of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!