City of Chicago, Department of Law

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

CEO
1 Rating

Great place to work, unless you need to pay your bills.

Former Employee - Attorney Law Clerk  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Attorney Law Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at City of Chicago, Department of Law full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. I almost always left work on time, and was able to spend every weekend with my family.

Cons

It is difficult to work for the City, pay down the student loans, and plan for the future. The training and leadership were wonderful, however, the compensation was woefully inadequate.

There needs to be an increased emphasis on paying a competitive salary.

Extern

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Law part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. Great people to work with. Great developmental experiences. I enjoyed my time working there. I appreciated the opportunity.

Cons

I really do not have bad things to say. It was a great opportunity and was everything that I agreed to. Perhaps more experiences in other parts of the department.

Keep up the good work.

Good opportunity to explore city government and different aspects of government law practice.

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Law full-time for less than a year

Pros

Because of the high volume of cases, this is a good place to learn on the job.

Cons

Low pay and lack of general supervision and feedback. Do not expect to learn from supervisors or senior attorneys.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Law full-time

Pros

The people I work with are absolutely great. They produce great work and want to excel in their fields. In general, we do excel in our fields.

The hours in many departments are completely reasonable. Sure, there are a few weekends here and there and late nights, but that's not the norm.

Cons

The lack of a raise for most attorneys for the last eight years or so is a real downer. And even little things like having to pay for our own law licenses, is a downer. That, as with most things, costs more today than it did 8 years ago. At least we're done with the furloughs. And of course the pension issue hangs over us.

Make movement easier between departments!

It's not the ideal circumstance for work but, it's a paycheck and a good work atmosphere.

Current Employee - Attorney Law Clerk (COAL)  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Attorney Law Clerk (COAL) in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people you work with are great. They are hard working. I enjoyed the knowledge and professionalism of my colleagues.

Cons

Little upward potential. It is the city after all, they have people working there from centuries ago. Things move slowly. Work is not interesting.

Try to forward the careers of your star performers.

Dysfunctional, cheap, un-supportive

Current Employee - Law Clerk  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Law Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Law full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people in my department. Very friendly, helpful, and hard working. Great resources if you are good at networking.

Cons

The politics of this place is you will get ahead if you kiss enough butts along the way. Most people in city departments are lazy, do enough work to get by, could care less about their work product. ( the law department is excluded from this, most other departments included). Government work is the antithesis of hard work or gratifying work. A lot of the socially awkward come here to find careers.

How about some employee development, mentoring, coaching. A little performance feed back once in a while would be great. And don't pretend to care about me and my career goals if you really couldn't care less!

Overworked/underpaid

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Law part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to learn from your mistakes. Good benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Not enough employees to do the required work. Not enough supervision. Little chance for advancement. No feedback

Worked for City of Chicago, Department of Law? Contribute to the Community!