City of Chicago, Department of Law

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Extern

ProsGreat work/life balance. Great people to work with. Great developmental experiences. I enjoyed my time working there. I appreciated the opportunity.

ConsI really do not have bad things to say. It was a great opportunity and was everything that I agreed to. Perhaps more experiences in other parts of the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good opportunity to explore city government and different aspects of government law practice.

ProsBecause of the high volume of cases, this is a good place to learn on the job.

ConsLow pay and lack of general supervision and feedback. Do not expect to learn from supervisors or senior attorneys.

Great colleagues

Chicago, IL

ProsThe people I work with are absolutely great. They produce great work and want to excel in their fields. In general, we do excel in our fields.

The hours in many departments are completely reasonable. Sure, there are a few weekends here and there and late nights, but that's not the norm.

ConsThe lack of a raise for most attorneys for the last eight years or so is a real downer. And even little things like having to pay for our own law licenses, is a downer. That, as with most things, costs more today than it did 8 years ago. At least we're done with the furloughs. And of course the pension issue hangs over us.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake movement easier between departments!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not the ideal circumstance for work but, it's a paycheck and a good work atmosphere.

Attorney Law Clerk (COAL) (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people you work with are great. They are hard working. I enjoyed the knowledge and professionalism of my colleagues.

ConsLittle upward potential. It is the city after all, they have people working there from centuries ago. Things move slowly. Work is not interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to forward the careers of your star performers.

Dysfunctional, cheap, un-supportive

Law Clerk (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThere are some great people in my department. Very friendly, helpful, and hard working. Great resources if you are good at networking.

ConsThe politics of this place is you will get ahead if you kiss enough butts along the way. Most people in city departments are lazy, do enough work to get by, could care less about their work product. ( the law department is excluded from this, most other departments included). Government work is the antithesis of hard work or gratifying work. A lot of the socially awkward come here to find careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about some employee development, mentoring, coaching. A little performance feed back once in a while would be great. And don't pretend to care about me and my career goals if you really couldn't care less!

Overworked/underpaid

ProsGood place to learn from your mistakes. Good benefits and vacation time.

ConsNot enough employees to do the required work. Not enough supervision. Little chance for advancement. No feedback

Worked for City of Chicago, Department of Law? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Chicago, Department of Law reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by City of Chicago, Department of Law employees.