City of Durham, North Carolina

Add Photos

William V. "Bill" Bell

Ok

Park Ranger (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe best part of working is know that you have a job and can expect a paycheck

Conswork you to death pay is terrible the area isnt that great

Not a great place to work

Civil Engineer (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsTypical 8 to 5 job

ConsNo proper training, everything is delayed bit too much, supervisor is impossible to please

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease address the above cons.

Politically motivated leadership

Facilities Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsHigh murder rate and crime is climbing

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting job, but requires someone who can deal with the extremes hardships in life

Communications Officer (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsJob Security for the most part. Benefits are great if you are single (heath benes are free or very low monthly cost) Variety of different scheduling options as long as you don't minds working regular weekends and holidays. 401k vested from Day 1

ConsRequesting time off (dept specific to 911), health benefits (if you have a family) Lack of employee recognition for good work, quick to be critical of anything negative. lack of reasonable understanding of special circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegular raises are needed for the employees. Better health benefits for families (i.e. lower deductibles without raising monthly premiums) Cover more procedures than 80% + deductible.

Incompetent and/or Dishonest managers in too many departments

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsMany good co-workers, but employees could accomplish more if incompetent managers did not stifle them or took appropriate timely action. There are some departments and divisions with good managers, which are good places to work. For people who thrive on helping others, there are many opportunities in many jobs to do this.

ConsIt takes much too long to replace key positions, sometimes 2-3 years. Too many managers are vindictive, unfair and show favoritism. The turnover rate for Department Directors has generally been high for too long. A common comment about too many employees: “He or she is dumb as dirt”. Employees often question why incompetent people are promoted. They suggest sycophancy, usually, but in some cases, wonder if the promoted persons are blackmailing their managers. It is not efficient to train your manager, but this appears to be sometimes expected by Senior Management. Racial issues are a troubling undercurrent (52% of the City employees are black) with both white and black persons complaining about unfairness in hiring, promotions, and treatment of employees based on race.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to high employee turnover. This is usually a red flag of a problem with the departmental managers and supervisors. When many employees complain in the anonymous bi-annual survey or in their annual 360 review about the same manager or director, pay attention and take appropriate action. Do like Donald Trump and “fire” the “project manager” instead of staff. Many of these managers are toxic and will do anything, however, dishonest to keep their jobs, usually first by blaming and firing their staff. Get rid of them, hire honest and competent managers, and expect employee higher productivity and satisfaction. Spend more time effectively training Directors about fairness and ethics, and other “City” values. Realize that many problems were created by former Directors and Managers instead of blaming current employees

Intern

Transportation Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsSo far, none !
    I am glad that I have a job, but, I hate going to work everyday.

ConsBad management, mean boss.
    Too much expectation and too little help from boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat people like people and not like machines

Talk the talk, but don't walk the walk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGood benefits
    Good coworkers
    Easy commute if you live in Durham
    Strong vision communicated by city manager office

ConsLousy pay, reclassification of positions is arbitrary.
    Understaffed.
    Weak leadership at director level in some departments
    High stress environment
    Fairness and ethics issues
    Overly political

Advice to Senior ManagementIf lower executives and middle management would follow through senior executive vision, things will turn around, CMO vision is not trickling down to the front lines. Need to clean house at executive level in several departments.

Pros and Cons of City of Durham Engineering Employment

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsVery understanding of time off requirements and flexible scheduling. Good benefits packages and people, culture, and environment is superior to any other place I have worked.

ConsNearly everything that was a quick decision in the private sector takes a panel and/or chain of command decision making here due to government policies and procedures. A promotion for which you qualify might take up to a year to process.

Advice to Senior ManagementRed tape makes it difficult for employees to receive promotions for which they meet the requirements. Little chance for career growth.

hey

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Proswell the thing about this and let me use a cliche, you get what you put in, and im doing okay with this. you just have to have patience

Conswell im not to sure if any benefits are given out so i'm lost in this area. would be nice though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think if you dont have benefits you should start giving some please, also be a little more generous

Water treatment plant

Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsClose to my home
    Never expected to take job home
    Multiple shifts available with decent work hours
    Middle management is very helpful

Consnon competitive wages and lack luster management
    unsafe working conditions
    facilities run down and rarely repaired
    preferential treatment determined your success

Advice to Senior ManagementAs important as a water utility is to a city, you would expect there to be an incentive to maintain a quality facility in order to safely administer a safe drinking water supply to the citizens.

Worked for City of Durham, North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!