City of Durham, North Carolina

Ok

Former Employee - Park Ranger  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Park Ranger in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of working is know that you have a job and can expect a paycheck

Cons

work you to death pay is terrible the area isnt that great

Office of Economic and Workforce Development

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good mission serving the people. .Management encourages independence. a few good co-workers.

Cons

Slow movement,disgruntled and undermining staff.. Disorganized management. No HR support in department or from HR department.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for less than a year

Pros

Typical 8 to 5 job

Cons

No proper training, everything is delayed bit too much, supervisor is impossible to please

Please address the above cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Politically motivated leadership

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Supervisor  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Supervisor in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

High murder rate and crime is climbing

Lead by example

Exciting job, but requires someone who can deal with the extremes hardships in life

Former Employee - Communications Officer  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Communications Officer in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job Security for the most part. Benefits are great if you are single (heath benes are free or very low monthly cost) Variety of different scheduling options as long as you don't minds working regular weekends and holidays. 401k vested from Day 1

Cons

Requesting time off (dept specific to 911), health benefits (if you have a family) Lack of employee recognition for good work, quick to be critical of anything negative. lack of reasonable understanding of special circumstances.

Regular raises are needed for the employees. Better health benefits for families (i.e. lower deductibles without raising monthly premiums) Cover more procedures than 80% + deductible.

Incompetent and/or Dishonest managers in too many departments

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many good co-workers, but employees could accomplish more if incompetent managers did not stifle them or took appropriate timely action. There are some departments and divisions with good managers, which are good places to work. For people who thrive on helping others, there are many opportunities in many jobs to do this.

Cons

It takes much too long to replace key positions, sometimes 2-3 years. Too many managers are vindictive, unfair and show favoritism. The turnover rate for Department Directors has generally been high for too long. A common comment about too many employees: “He or she is dumb as dirt”. Employees often question why incompetent people are promoted. They suggest sycophancy, usually, but in some cases, wonder if the promoted persons are blackmailing their managers. It is not efficient to train your manager, but this appears to be sometimes expected by Senior Management. Racial issues are a troubling undercurrent (52% of the City employees are black) with both white and black persons complaining about unfairness in hiring, promotions, and treatment of employees based on race.

Pay attention to high employee turnover. This is usually a red flag of a problem with the departmental managers and supervisors. When many employees complain in the anonymous bi-annual survey or in their annual 360 review about the same manager or director, pay attention and take appropriate action. Do like Donald Trump and “fire” the “project manager” instead of staff. Many of these managers are toxic and will do anything, however, dishonest to keep their jobs, usually first by blaming and firing their staff. Get rid of them, hire honest and competent managers, and expect employee higher productivity and satisfaction. Spend more time effectively training Directors about fairness and ethics, and other “City” values. Realize that many problems were created by former Directors and Managers instead of blaming current employees

Intern

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer Intern  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer Intern in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina as an intern for more than a year

Pros

So far, none !
    I am glad that I have a job, but, I hate going to work everyday.

Cons

Bad management, mean boss.
    Too much expectation and too little help from boss.

Please treat people like people and not like machines

Talk the talk, but don't walk the walk

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits
    Good coworkers
    Easy commute if you live in Durham
    Strong vision communicated by city manager office

Cons

Lousy pay, reclassification of positions is arbitrary.
    Understaffed.
    Weak leadership at director level in some departments
    High stress environment
    Fairness and ethics issues
    Overly political

If lower executives and middle management would follow through senior executive vision, things will turn around, CMO vision is not trickling down to the front lines. Need to clean house at executive level in several departments.

Pros and Cons of City of Durham Engineering Employment

Current Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

Very understanding of time off requirements and flexible scheduling. Good benefits packages and people, culture, and environment is superior to any other place I have worked.

Cons

Nearly everything that was a quick decision in the private sector takes a panel and/or chain of command decision making here due to government policies and procedures. A promotion for which you qualify might take up to a year to process.

Red tape makes it difficult for employees to receive promotions for which they meet the requirements. Little chance for career growth.

hey

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

well the thing about this and let me use a cliche, you get what you put in, and im doing okay with this. you just have to have patience

Cons

well im not to sure if any benefits are given out so i'm lost in this area. would be nice though.

I think if you dont have benefits you should start giving some please, also be a little more generous

Worked for City of Durham, North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!