City of Durham, North Carolina Reviews

William V. "Bill" Bell

1. Facilitie Manager

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good work ethic and environment. Very good support and tools provided in order to achieve and complete your work.

Cons

Long process learning curve (6 months) to understand process, who is who? who does what? where to find the information's.

2. Politically motivated ... Be careful

Former Employee - Project Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, liberal community, and multiple opportunities for advancement a small southern town in North Carolina. The city is a good place to learn about public administration.

Cons

Because Durham is a small town everything is political. Pay raises are limited to only police and prepare to be micro managed.

Advice to Management

Create a sense of continuity and fairness. Encourage creativity and innovation. Provide raises to all staff not just those in the newspaper.

3. Facility/Asset Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Very good place to work

Cons

Slow paper work process and define who does what

5. Claims Administrator

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time

Pros

People are very friendly and easy to work with. Benefits are good

Cons

Little respect from upper management

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees and respect their knowledge and talents

6. City of Durm

Current Employee - Grant Writer/Coordinator
    Current Employee - Grant Writer/Coordinator

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

Great Benefits. Opportunities for advancement. Very cool city

Cons

Government is risk adverse. Change is often painfully slow

7. Great benefits, responsive supervisor, development opportunities

Pros

As an entry level employee, the benefits are great, I have had a very responsive supervisor who makes sure I am prepared and the city is constantly looking at ways to improve the way it interacts with employees. I have also had multiple training and development opportunities already.

Cons

While the city is improving, some of the technology is dated and hard to access, especially when you are away from the office.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all the information gets down to your employees so that they have all their benefits information, training information, etc to take advantage of what the city offers to employees.

8. Public politics are for the birds

Current Employee - Engineering - Public Works in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering - Public Works in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

In general the people are good to work with and there are some outstanding mid level managers. Steady work.

Cons

Upper management(Assistant Dir and up), the politics of the department and city. The length of time it takes to make a decision and most often has explaination or reason. Other than to benifit the small group of friends....

Advice to Management

Pay attention to high employee turnover. This is usually a red flag of a problem with the departmental managers and supervisors. When many employees complain in the anonymous bi-annual survey or in their annual 360 review about the same manager or director, pay attention and take appropriate action. Do like Donald Trump and “fire” the “project manager” instead of staff. Many of these managers are toxic and will do anything, however, dishonest to keep their jobs, usually first by blaming and firing their staff. Get rid of them, hire honest and competent managers, and expect employee higher productivity and satisfaction. Spend more time effectively training Directors about fairness and ethics, and other “City” values. Realize that many problems were created by former Directors and Managers instead of blaming current employees

9. Working for the COD

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time

Pros

The benefits are great. The ability to move around and learn more and to expand your skills is also a great pro. The cultural of service is an awesome initiative.

Cons

Technology isn't the best-see the City's website for clarity. It's too political. It takes management forever to make a decision. You are valued more than what they pay. Management has no respect for their administration team.

Awful experience. Poor leadership. Unfriendly co-workers. ALL decisions are viewed through the prism of race. Certain

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you a black woman, particularly in OEWD, you have a job for life. Certain City Council members will take you under their wings and clear a career path for you. The bar is set low, so you don't have to produce much. If you nod your head and agree with everything the directors says and thinks you are golden. Stick your head in the sand and play like you work at a job curing cancer and you will join "the fraternity/sorority." The higher you go in management, your manta has to become "I am so busy, I don't have time to do XYZ."

Cons

New employees are treated like crap. No training. No orientation. Unless you are black. Then you come in as "one of the family." Everything is purposefully done at the last minute. It is a control thing. If you don't write, add numbers, think like the Director, you waste a lot of your valuable time. Independent thinkers are not needed in OEWD.

Advice to Management

Why would it matter. No one is going to fire them. No matter how lousy they are in their jobs. The system is all about "protection." Directors: I got to look good to my CSM. CSM: Gotta make my stuff palatable to Tom Bonfield. Tom Bonfield ain't gonna let anyome make him look bad.

11. Unequaled

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

The Hours worked The Indirect supervision Freedom to work at personal pace without being micro managed

Cons

Lack of management attention to non degree associated employees

Advice to Management

Learn to value and implement ideas from your employees outside of the "programming" / " recreation" fields we sometimes have really great ideas yet no one will listen and or try our ideas

RSS Feed </> Embed