City of Durham, North Carolina

2.3

William V. "Bill" Bell

Working for the COD

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time

Pros

The benefits are great. The ability to move around and learn more and to expand your skills is also a great pro. The cultural of service is an awesome initiative.

Cons

Technology isn't the best-see the City's website for clarity. It's too political. It takes management forever to make a decision. You are valued more than what they pay. Management has no respect for their administration team.

Unequaled

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina

Pros

The Hours worked
    The Indirect supervision
    Freedom to work at personal pace without being micro managed

Cons

Lack of management attention to non degree associated employees

Learn to value and implement ideas from your employees outside of the "programming" / " recreation" fields we sometimes have really great ideas yet no one will listen and or try our ideas

Awful experience. Poor leadership. Unfriendly co-workers. ALL decisions are viewed through the prism of race. Certain

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you a black woman, particularly in OEWD, you have a job for life. Certain City Council members will take you under their wings and clear a career path for you. The bar is set low, so you don't have to produce much. If you nod your head and agree with everything the directors says and thinks you are golden. Stick your head in the sand and play like you work at a job curing cancer and you will join "the fraternity/sorority." The higher you go in management, your manta has to become "I am so busy, I don't have time to do XYZ."

Cons

New employees are treated like crap. No training. No orientation. Unless you are black. Then you come in as "one of the family." Everything is purposefully done at the last minute. It is a control thing. If you don't write, add numbers, think like the Director, you waste a lot of your valuable time. Independent thinkers are not needed in OEWD.

Why would it matter. No one is going to fire them. No matter how lousy they are in their jobs. The system is all about "protection." Directors: I got to look good to my CSM. CSM: Gotta make my stuff palatable to Tom Bonfield. Tom Bonfield ain't gonna let anyome make him look bad.

Office of Economic and Workforce Development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good mission serving the people. .Management encourages independence. a few good co-workers.

Cons

Slow movement,disgruntled and undermining staff.. Disorganized management. No HR support in department or from HR department.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Typical 8 to 5 job

Cons

No proper training, everything is delayed bit too much, supervisor is impossible to please

Please address the above cons.

Politically motivated leadership

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Supervisor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance Supervisor in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

High murder rate and crime is climbing

Lead by example

Ok

Former Employee - Park Ranger in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Park Ranger in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part of working is know that you have a job and can expect a paycheck

Cons

work you to death pay is terrible the area isnt that great

Exciting job, but requires someone who can deal with the extremes hardships in life

Former Employee - Communications Officer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Communications Officer in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security for the most part. Benefits are great if you are single (heath benes are free or very low monthly cost) Variety of different scheduling options as long as you don't minds working regular weekends and holidays. 401k vested from Day 1

Cons

Requesting time off (dept specific to 911), health benefits (if you have a family) Lack of employee recognition for good work, quick to be critical of anything negative. lack of reasonable understanding of special circumstances.

Regular raises are needed for the employees. Better health benefits for families (i.e. lower deductibles without raising monthly premiums) Cover more procedures than 80% + deductible.

Incompetent and/or Dishonest managers in too many departments

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at City of Durham, North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many good co-workers, but employees could accomplish more if incompetent managers did not stifle them or took appropriate timely action. There are some departments and divisions with good managers, which are good places to work. For people who thrive on helping others, there are many opportunities in many jobs to do this.

Cons

It takes much too long to replace key positions, sometimes 2-3 years. Too many managers are vindictive, unfair and show favoritism. The turnover rate for Department Directors has generally been high for too long. A common comment about too many employees: “He or she is dumb as dirt”. Employees often question why incompetent people are promoted. They suggest sycophancy, usually, but in some cases, wonder if the promoted persons are blackmailing their managers. It is not efficient to train your manager, but this appears to be sometimes expected by Senior Management. Racial issues are a troubling undercurrent (52% of the City employees are black) with both white and black persons complaining about unfairness in hiring, promotions, and treatment of employees based on race.

Pay attention to high employee turnover. This is usually a red flag of a problem with the departmental managers and supervisors. When many employees complain in the anonymous bi-annual survey or in their annual 360 review about the same manager or director, pay attention and take appropriate action. Do like Donald Trump and “fire” the “project manager” instead of staff. Many of these managers are toxic and will do anything, however, dishonest to keep their jobs, usually first by blaming and firing their staff. Get rid of them, hire honest and competent managers, and expect employee higher productivity and satisfaction. Spend more time effectively training Directors about fairness and ethics, and other “City” values. Realize that many problems were created by former Directors and Managers instead of blaming current employees

Intern

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer Intern in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer Intern in Durham, NC

I have been working at City of Durham, North Carolina as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

So far, none !
    I am glad that I have a job, but, I hate going to work everyday.

Cons

Bad management, mean boss.
    Too much expectation and too little help from boss.

Please treat people like people and not like machines