City of Fort Collins Reviews

CEO

1. Low stress summer job

Former Employee - Parks Worker in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Parks Worker in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at City of Fort Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very relaxed, mostly because of the people who I worked with. I was outside for the majority of the day doing a number of different park upkeep tasks; I had an excellent farmer's tan. Overall it was an okay summer job.

Cons

The ultra-chill mentality is pretty contagious and it was sometimes frustrating for a "let's go work" kind of worker like me to get used to the idea that I'm going to do more work than other people.

Advice to Management

Parks look great, can't complain.

Long term employee left beaten down and discouraged

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at City of Fort Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers were awesome. Dedicated staff working to make life better for citizens. Benefits are good. Pay varies dramatically, with some very well-paid employees and others who fall far below the median income for their grade.

Cons

Upper management (above Directors) are disengaged from lower level staff who are pulling the load; indifference to abusive work situations; City Manager is clueless as to what being a World Class Organization really means. What mainly keeps this organization from being World Class is the way they treat lower level employees and ignore complaints brought to HR.

Advice to Management

Learn the other side of the skill called communication...LISTEN and then take action. Quit fogging the issues.

They claim to be World Class but have no clue.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at City of Fort Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, dedicated to doing the best for the community,

Cons

work life balance, little chance of moving up, some managers looking out for themselves don't care about there people.

Bittersweet - Loved my co-workers, couldnt stay because pay was too low.

Former Employee - Salaried Employee
    Former Employee - Salaried Employee

I worked at City of Fort Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benifits. Nice offices and work place atmosphere, great co-workers - feels like family. There is a team mentality and everyone is willing to help out if needed. High-performing organization. I grew a lot professionally here.

Cons

Fort Collins pays at "market" rate which is 6% below midrange, and typically hires in lower. You only get a 2% raise a year and if you are promoted, you are promoted to the bottom of that pay scale. 9.9% is the max salary increase, even for a promotion. Management can sometimes play favorites and then pay them accordingly. Additionally, you're worked increadibly hard. The exempt salary employees all work 48 hours a week. The stress, long hours, and the fact that the pay was not commensurate with the high expectations and long hours made it hard for me to stay. Our hourlies work overtime and get paid for it but many times don't have a choice.

Advice to Management

Make it hard for someone to find a higher paying job at another City. I had to leave because the pay was not competitive for the value I brought to the organization and how hard I worked. I would recommend lowering expectations and paying more.

Avoid this organization at all cost!!!

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at City of Fort Collins full-time

Pros

Good rank/file co-workers; Paycheck is always deposited

Cons

In my opinion: Very poor management from the City Manager down. City Manager has poor reputation amongst employees. Department Heads are a joke and might be the weakest collection of people to ever make up a management team. This is the least innovative organization I have ever witnessed. Technology department is badly behind the times and poorly managed. People with their own thoughts and opinions need not apply.

Advice to Management

My advice: Quit hiring "below" you. For once, keep someone on staff who will tell you the truth. Quit being so afraid that those under you might challenge you. Quit lying to us, we're on to you. It appears that the City Manager is so insecure that he cannot tolerate a dissenting opinion. This "World Class" crap is a joke.

More Third World Class than World Class

Current Employee - Clerical in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Clerical in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at City of Fort Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy a certain amount flexibility and can enjoy my life outside of work.

Cons

The demands of Council and upper-level management are unreasonable, with little respect for staff as human beings. We are berated openly and rarely receive words of praise. Salaries have been frozen for years, also freezing retirement contributions while living expenses and our required contribution toward health insurance continues to rise.

Advice to Management

We need LEADERS, not managers.

Self-promoted as a "world class" employer. Clearly, no one understands what that means.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at City of Fort Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Robust benefits. Great downtown environment.

Cons

Being truthful and above-board is not a valued attribute with the City management. This is a "don't rock the boat" environment where "it's my way or the highway". The City Manager is a particularly odious, values-deficient individual.

Advice to Management

City Council: You need to solicit the anonymous feedback of your employees to find out what's really going on in our local government. All is not as it seems.

9. Overall it was a great job for summer and during college.

I worked at City of Fort Collins

Pros

Flexbility Fun Team work life balance Summer job ability to grow ability to lead ability to manage Ability to get a raise

Cons

Micro managed Promotions are hard to come by long hours early mornings must work on holidays must work in every weather condition

RSS Feed </> Embed