City of Glendale

www.ci.glendale.ca.us

City of Glendale Reviews

3.7

John Drayman

Have worked for the City of Glendale part time for 7+ years as I went through school. Been promoted twice.

Current Employee - Facility Attandant  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Facility Attandant in Glendale, CA

I have been working at City of Glendale part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Relaxed atmosphere. Free city structure parking for city employees. Good pay for part time work and great coworkers!

Cons

No benefits for part time employees. About 1200 hours/year limit on working part time.

Managers flex the rules too much in order to keep other departments and "customers" happy. This can be seen as unfair.

A real community in Glendale

I worked at City of Glendale

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, schedule flexibility. In my department a real community or even a family atmosphere was promoted and created.

Cons

Commuting, was horrendous for me. I loved my work and my colleagues. The stress of community 1.5 hours each way to work 5+ days a week took its toll. This had no bearing on the city, it was my choice to accept the position knowing my commute challenge.

City of Glendale...the Jewel City.

Current Employee - Hourly Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at City of Glendale

Pros

The City of Glendale offers a wide variety of positions available from hourly to full benefit salary positions. It is located between the San Gabriel Valley and the San Fernando Valley, thus minimal traffic if traveling from one of these locations. It is located in a downtown area, presenting many food and entertainment options when off.

Cons

Issues work through the public government, thus slowing down a projects pace. Good ideas are sometimes stifled due to administrative license or council bias. Working through rules and regulations not present in private companies lead to frustration with active projects. Leadership in the upper management seems to have some detachments from their workforce, but attempt to assimilate and protect their direct employees.

Continue to assist your employees with the development and execution of ideas to help open the door for the changes in society.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Relaxed place to work though the politics can be incredibly frustrating

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist

I worked at City of Glendale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work and life balance. When 5:00pm hits, I'm gone! Relaxed hours and breaks. It can be a very relaxed job or incredibly frustrating and stressful. This is the job you want when you're about to retire.

Cons

Peers have no idea what they're doing. You sometimes wonder how they got the job in the first place. The qualified people that I've met can be counted on one hand. Seems like the clueless people are the ones that are well paid, hence the "lifers". IT infrastructure is by far the worst I've ever seen in any organization. Internet connection goes down daily for the last several years.

Management needs to go! Seems like management and senior staff likes to dig in and adopt old technology that doesn't work. Management doesn't seem to like investing in infrastructure but rather in "shiny things". Management needs to hire more qualified people and/or train them better.

Worked for City of Glendale? Contribute to the Community!