City of Greensboro

City of Greensboro City Manager & CEO Denise Turner Roth

Denise Turner Roth

I like the place.

Engineer (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThis is close to where I live.

ConsI think a lot of people might want positions and it might be only one vacancy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer free food and raffle prizes.

Stable place of employement

Senior Firefighter (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe department is growing which offers alot of room for growth. This is becoming a young department. Great stability.

ConsNo cons. The department is growing which offers alot of room for growth. This is becoming a young department. Great stability.

Disappointing!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsIt looks good on a resume.

ConsCliche atmosphere, team spirit doesn't exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to encourage the advancement and growth of all team members, not just ones with degrees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The pay was awful but my boss was great.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsI enjoyed the work and it was a great experience being involved in what was going on in the city around me.

ConsThe pay was awful and it was hard to move up with in the organization. Also it's hard to fire people so I was stuck working with a moron.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into productivity. Not what people say that they do but what they really do.

Don't get stuck in this job

Library Assistant (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe employees are the best to work with.

ConsThe pay sucks. Having received an raise in 3 years.

Was a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe people and the work are great. The organization will promote those who really put forth the effort and produce. You are making a difference in the quaility of life of the community and that starts to mean alot over the years. Lots of different oppurtunities if you are willing to take risks.

ConsWhile over all the management is good and well intentioned. The City Council has really damaged the organization through thier lack of leadership and attacks on staff especially the former City Manager. Fear is widespread and unless these folks are removed in the next election things will get worse. It was once a great place to work but not any more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs hard as it might be stand up to Council and defend the employee's at every turn. Go out to the community and spead good news about what the employee's are doing and support pay and benefit improvement. Also, start paying more attention to the issues of white employee's feeling that management and leadership only cares about black employees, this issue is becomming very big with the people I talk to.

Disappointing

Greensboro Coliseum Part-time Employee (Current Employee)

ProsGreat experience, great benefits! They are very flexible with schedules. Good co-workers

ConsThere is a motto throughout the city where they say that they promote only the stupid. Unfortunately this is true. My supervisor at the city, a HIGH LEVEL MANAGER, does not have a college degree, and is supervising numerous people. Its crazy.

On top of that, pay is very low compared to other places with comparable positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers actually qualified to be managers. Align salaries with that of other places. Keep the great benefits!

Long term

ProsMeaningful work; comraderie, great colleagues, decent benefits

Conslimited salary potential; some redundancy; subject to political influence indirectly

Worked for City of Greensboro? Contribute to the Community!