City of Houston

City of Houston Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

City of Houston Mayor Annise D. Parker

Annise D. Parker

Pros
  • Typically good work life balance depending on the particular manager or group that you work for(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, very close to the tunnels(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay, very political, no unity across the city(in 6 reviews)

• Office politics drive most decision making regarding personnel(in 5 reviews)

Health Department (WIC)

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNone to speak of really.

ConsPoor leadership
    micro management
    No actionable plan to increase client participation
    No marketing/advertising so they allow for walk-ins everyday therefore just targeting low hanging fruit.
    Very poor communication
    Low morale
    NO room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a plan and communicate it to employees so everyone can be on the same page and push for more technology to streamline process.

entering parcel data from metes and bounds from our survey crews

GIS Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people below management emediate supervisors

Consthe benifits are getting worse

Community Liasion for Departmental Cooperation and Invervention

Adninisrtative Assistant V (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou serve in a problem solving mode and make things happen as they should

ConsLong Hours beyond 40 hours a week.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place to work

Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAt one time, great benefits as a tradeoff for poor salary. In bad financial times, the city did not WANT to afford to give raises, so they provided better benefits (vacation days, pension, etc).

ConsWhen times are tough, the city attacks benefits and forgets why we received them. The city is quick to forget deals they make for political reasons. You work for over 20+ years with the understanding of what's at the end-of-the road.. then, they change the deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop electing the people you do for Mayor and City Council.

good place to work

Prosit was a cool place to work

Consfavoritism among the people in management

Advice to Senior Managementdo better

City of Houston Dating Website

N/A (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible Schedule's, yep thats just about it..

ConsLazy Employee's, too many procedures, salary, gossip, drama, work load, thristy old men, and bitter old women....yep

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to get to know your employee's.

The City is an "ok" place

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsYou have a work/life balance

ConsIt is hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into consideration what your employees have to say because they actually do the work.

Good and Bad...Challenging, yet exhausting

Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork with different departments, good exposure to different work areas, hepls you develop professionally, build partnerships with external agencies

ConsLower salary is part of city job, high stress environment, slow at adapting to new projects or demands, overworked employees, low morale. Very political work environment and people who "kiss ass" to get promoted (even if they don't deserve such promotion). Shady and untrustworthy employees. Not good for overall career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees' concerns, show your appreciation for employees, be open to new ideas and changes that can help your department be more successful. Open communication is necessary in working in a successful office, be more open with your employees. Be considerate of ALL your employees, whether or not you have a favorite. Employee morale is important to the overall productivity of the office.

An enjoyable experience

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGet to know other lifeguards, almost full time for a seasonal job, good starting pay

Consupper senior management do not care about lifeguards at all, they see lifeguards as expendable even though almost all pools were understaffed

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your workers with respect, encourage them to do a good/better job, DO NOT threaten them

Okay to retire, but not for the young who want growth

Technical Hardware Analyst I (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits, a lot of free time, you get 3 personal days if you dont use sick days, pay is okay.

Conspay is way below compared to the corporate world, not enough room for advancement/growth, insurance sucks now that they turned to Cigna, a lot of kiss asses here, go under the heads desk for more money or promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI liked upper management when i first hired on, but now its just relatives helping each other out, in their own little world. I plan on leaving ASAP.

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!