City of Indianapolis

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gregory A. Ballard

Excellent Beginning Experience

Media and Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI enjoyed the amount of responsibility, care, and experience I gained through my internship with the Mayor's Office.

ConsThe lack of training made it hard at moments to accommodate my supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would require a better system for training all interns to maximize the experience and productivity.

So so....

ProsAlways work to be done. Nice to see the results of your work and actually make a difference. Very messed-up IT shop.

ConsNo regular reviews, lack of consistent plan. Virtually no appreciation from the CIO of individual accomplishments.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up!

A great learning environment

Internship (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI learned a lot about attention to detail and procurement documentation procedures that I could not have learned in a classroom.

ConsLeaving I enjoyed my time working with the Purchasing Division. I was only there a short amount of time and eager to learn more about Purchasing Division.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a career oriented organization

Finance (Current Employee)

ProsDynamic environment; there is a lot going on. Interesting work that is often in the news.

ConsThere is no career path, no attention to development or retention of good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndy should develop a City Manager form of government with a more professional ongoing staff of upper management leaders.

It was a bitter sweat time. Everyone seems out to get eachother, especialy with the IndyParks Divison.

Lifeguard(07) (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFlexible hours, and possibility to move up.

ConsSnobby people, low initial pay, not many benefits at first. I got holiday pay after working for a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaperwork needs to move faster, I quit 2 months ago and I'm still waiting for my benefit hours... It should never take that long.

Relaxed work environment geared to working hard, and completing the task at hand

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood middle management, and knowledge transfer. The overall experience as a first step into my professional career is good, would recommend to others if you could stand to not make a ton of money but would like to do good.

ConsSome negatives are that communications take forever between employees. If they aren't focused on answering your questions it would take them days to respond.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on creating better feedback, and work on tuning in on response times between employees. Work on creating a synergy in your employees, and departments to create a better operating system

Close enough for government work

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsReally good benefits and lots of extra paid holidays compared to other jobs.

ConsLack of clear direction and goals, inefficient beyond belief. I had to work harder to get the information from fellow co-workers and management than to actually do the work once I got the info. The stereotypical government worker attitude abounds - people just don't care because they don't have to, there aren't repercussions for a bad or inefficient job. Those who care about their work are left shouldering a lot of work while others skate by doing the absolute minimum and when your review time comes around you end up getting nothing for all your extra work. Raises don't happen - some managers even give just barely passable reviews to avoid having to give raises since the budget is so tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementI applaud the recent utilization of six sigma and hope that will eventually help things work in a more efficient manner. Plans to upgrade from a mainframe to ERP system are a long OVERDUE change that the Ballard administration is implementing as well. Clearer standards for work performance and rewards for hard work need to be enacted across departments. They would also do well to review the ADA coordinator who I found hostile and unhelpful in the process of discussing accommodations. Management is more concerned with appearances than results.

Stop pretending to serve the community and actually do it.

Planner (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood benefits - especially time off. Salaries are generally low, but housing is cheap if you are okay with living in working class neighborhoods.

The people are generally nice.

ConsMany department heads and senior officials and long-term employees only do enough to preserve their positions. They do not challenge the political leadership enough. Even if they know what they have been told to do is stupid, they plod ahead anyway without one word of dissent. Ideas that require real change in the way the city conducts business are usually dismissed as being too difficult to implement - which usually only means that someone's comfort level would be impaired. These leads to a lot of big projects that distract some people from the real problems the city faces, resulting in little attention being focused on the nitty-gritty day-to-day tasks and services that make a city livable and functional for the average citizens.

Working with divisions and departments can be problematic, because of management goals that reward quantity of effort and not quality of effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow city workers to perform their duties and stop hiring consultants and pretending that we are getting cheaper and better services from them. It is not happening.

Listen to the lower level employees! They have a lot of good ideas.

Stop sending taxpayer money to outside organizations and consultants that spend the bulk of the money on higher salaries while not providing much or anything in the way of services. Most consultant work can be done internally with existing personnel, with creative management of existing resources.

If you love what you do for a living, and you can do it while working for the City of Indianapolis, then take the job.

Manager of Training & Development (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe challenges are many, so the growth opportunities are plentiful. The independence and freedom to work on the projects I feel are most important are outstanding.

ConsThe budgets are always tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

IMPD is a good solid job, but nothing amazing.

Police Officer (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsJob security. Small town feel with some big city options. The pay is adequate. Other cities of comparable size are either at our salary, or above it. We do get a substantial amount of time off each year. In my 10th year, I get 120 hours of vacation, plus an additional 11 days off every year. When I get to my 15th year, I will get 160 hours of vacation. 20th year, 200 hours of vacation.

ConsPay could be higher. Insurance can be lacking at times. They do not offer tuition reimbursement. They are not very supportive of their employees pursuing higher educations.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage. Make sure the employees are kept in the loop on pertinent topics.

Worked for City of Indianapolis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Indianapolis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City of Indianapolis CEO Gregory A. Ballard. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by City of Indianapolis employees.