City of Jacksonville Reviews

CEO

1. Maintenance Worker II

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City of Jacksonville full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working schedule was excellent and there were some good people I worked with. The ability of having a life outside the job was great too. I really like working with the crew I was assigned with, but low pay and advancement ran me off.

Cons

The equipment wasn't all that good. The starting pay for new employees was really bad for the type of work in my Department of streets and drainage. The working conditions and pay didn't match up either. Much too long of a period to advance in the city structure.

Advice to Management

Better starting pay for people with the qualifications for which the position are posted for when advertised on coj.com. They should get to know whom is working for them and stop the ole buddy system in city government jobs.

2. civil service

I have been working at City of Jacksonville

Pros

The benifits, paid days off.

Cons

Low pay with no raises in sight. Mandatory optin pension that is 200 a month. If you add family to your insurance plan you be putting out another 2-300. Off of a 2000 monthly check you need a second job to survive. Unless you live at home with your mom. Well at least the appointed or buddy positions get paid 60-100k.

Advice to Management

From other peoples reviews as well as mine you have a picture of what you need to do.

3. It is chaotic during the transition.

I have been working at City of Jacksonville

Pros

Great people to work with at the worker bee level. Political appointed ones...not so much. The benefits are great, if you hang in there.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. You really have to want to help your fellow citizens if you come here. They are still bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Find ways to change the atmosphere from fear driven to results focused.

5. It's ok.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City of Jacksonville full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Free food at JSO. Not the best but it's free.

Cons

Management not professional. Lots of petty people. You will work short a lot.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be professional.

business intelligence developer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at City of Jacksonville full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good boss. Microsoft tools. Interesting projects

Cons

Appointed employees must resign when a new mayor is elected

Advice to Management

raises are urgently needed

7. Work here if you don't want a raise or job security.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at City of Jacksonville full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hours, interesting work.

Cons

No Raises in 8 years (I've only been here 4, but my colleagues haven't got one in 8): Not even cost of living raises. So basically, you take a pay cut every year regardless of your merit. Job Security: What used to be great, is now awful. Apparently with each new Mayor (every 4 years) all appointed employees must now turn in their resignations (against their will). This is not only unprecedented, it's unethical. Usually, appointed officials are the only ones who get replaced (and they know that going into the job - i.e. they get 4 years of notice). All appointed employees just found out last week that they have to give their resignations, even if they don't want to leave. I wouldn't have taken the job if this had been made known to me the day I applied, nor would ANY of my colleagues. Many are considering taking legal action. Benefits: Don't be deceived, the benefits aren't any better than anywhere else. The healthcare is still ridiculously expensive and the pension is shrinking because Jacksonville leadership can't budget properly.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people instead of equipment. We have families to feed and care for. We need a living wage. A paper award means nothing when you don't back it up with raises. It's a shame that the mutual relationship that used to exist with so many companies is lost. You take care of them and they take care of you. Now companies just want you to sacrifice your blood, sweat, and tears for them, but are unwilling to compensate you in return. Face it, companies can't cry "bad economy" any more. It has more than bounced back. They have been playing that card for way too long. Start paying your people. Otherwise, get used to turnover and lost profits.

CSR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at City of Jacksonville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The city has paid holidays and your working are Monday through Friday in this field

Cons

If your ok with making the same amount of monies for years with no advancement then this is the job for you. Some departments treat you like your still in school

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees fairly, not just select few.

9. A ten year adventure

Current Employee - Senior Elections Officer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Elections Officer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at City of Jacksonville

Pros

Good benefits, decent working conditions

Cons

No raise in 5 years.

10. Internship with city

Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City of Jacksonville

Pros

typically stable job positions in govt

Cons

city is very rigid, but thats most every govt' entity. My personality isnt a fit for working in gov't. For those who are its a decent city to work for

OK place to work IF you can handle the politics.

Former Employee - Fingerprint Tech in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Fingerprint Tech in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City of Jacksonville full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

~Vacation ~Free Uniforms ~Dress down Fridays ~LOW cost insurance ($35/month to cover myself) ~11 recognized holidays ~Paid Training ~Retire in 25-30 years, no matter what age ~Access to park downtown. Helps save money when going to downtown festivals/games ~Job security (HARD to fire, NO one really wants to do this position so that provides security) ~Shift differential pay ~Looks good on resume/insight into Law Enforcement process ~Half days EVERY wednesday ~Pension

Cons

~POLITICS ran ~Working 12hr night shifts 5:30pm-5:30am ~30min lunch and two 15min breaks for 12hr shift ~If you don't "fit" in with the "clique", working here can be difficult ~NO advancement opportunities unless you apply to a different area (dnt be fooled by what they say) ~The work is VERY boring and REPETITIVE ~The city employees haven't received a raise in YEARS ~Forced contribution percentage of your paycheck

Advice to Management

The office culture is CRAZY and there is really nothing you all can do about it. After about 20 years, after everyone retires, it will be a great place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed