City of Lakeland, FL

www.lakelandgov.net

City of Lakeland, FL Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

The city is a "good old boy" system, but I was able to work hard and get a full-time position.

Operations Support Tech II (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours for some positions allow for going in early and getting the afternoon off.

ConsIt can be difficult to move up if you do not know/are not related to the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive increases and promotions on merit, not based on family ties.

Needs new leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits, room for advancement most of the time

ConsPoor leadership; supervisors in positions where they do not belong

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget where you came from! Fix it before someone gets hurt.

A good place to work, particularly if you have a family.

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsThe time off, both in holidays and vacation and sick time is good. If you have a family, this is a definite plus. The pay has become much more equitable with the private sector, but only due to the economic downturn...salaries have fallen in other industries. The City has managed to navigate the recession with only five layoffs while other local governments have had hundreds. For those of us who have worked here over 9 years, there is a generous pension. For newer employees, there is a lesser pension, but it is better than Social Security and they have a 401k with a 5% employer match.

ConsThere have been no merit pay increases for non-union employees in three years...just raises for those who have managers/directors who fight for them with the City Manager. City management seems to cave to the unions more often than not...union employees have been paying less for the exact same pension and health benefits, though that has been brought even with non-union employees over the past year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favoring the union employees to the detriment of those who are not. Also, improve communication from the top down so we don't have to learn things going on with the City from the local newspaper.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding except in the paycheck.

Operation Support (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsYou are treated with respect and the management is very easy going. You do not feel a sense of pressure to do a good job, it is something that can be internally driven.

ConsMy pay at an entry level position is very low as well as the lack of benefits is very worrysome.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe a greater concentration on accountability to the people should be stressed. At times people seem to be too laxadazycal in their work

Antiquated leadership

ProsYou get a Pension check when you retire

ConsNot interested in the employees only a job, no advancement or growth opportunties

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no "I" in team, it's 2012 time to diversify

Worked for City of Lakeland, FL? Contribute to the Community!