City of Lakeland, FL Reviews

Reset
CEO

1. Must Be Patient

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL part-time

Pros

I really enjoy working with the folks in my department, we work together well and really enjoy our jobs, which shows in our work.

Cons

Everything is a long, drawn out process. From raises, to promotions, to hiring. It all takes far longer than it should.

Advice to Management

Those in decision making positions need to make decisions faster. Kind of like it was your job. You see a high turnover of valuable employees and retention of weaker ones when you drag your feet on compensating people who don't work at city hall, or for Lakeland Electric.

2. Police Dept

Former Employee - Police Officer in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Police Officer in Lakeland, FL

I worked at City of Lakeland, FL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training, good leadership, decent salary for the area. Most of the officers in the department care about the community and their jobs. There is a lot of comraderie and the troops stand together. Schedule is good. The 12 hour work day is great for family life.

Cons

Not the best environment for minorities. More movement among rank and file would encourage people and revitalize the work force. Some of the specialty units have officers that have been in that position for 20 years. Lateral movement is limited. Takes a long time to obtain day shift position

Advice to Management

Corporate culture allows a hostile work environment for females and other minority groups. This comes from the top down and is tolerated at every level. Training is great on tactical issues but with investigations and report writing it is limited.

3. The city is a "good old boy" system, but I was able to work hard and get a full-time position.

Former Employee - Operations Support Tech II
    Former Employee - Operations Support Tech II

I worked at City of Lakeland, FL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours for some positions allow for going in early and getting the afternoon off.

Cons

It can be difficult to move up if you do not know/are not related to the right people.

Advice to Management

Give increases and promotions on merit, not based on family ties.

5. Needs new leadership

I worked at City of Lakeland, FL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, room for advancement most of the time

Cons

Poor leadership; supervisors in positions where they do not belong

Advice to Management

Do not forget where you came from! Fix it before someone gets hurt.

A good place to work, particularly if you have a family.

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL

Pros

The time off, both in holidays and vacation and sick time is good. If you have a family, this is a definite plus. The pay has become much more equitable with the private sector, but only due to the economic downturn...salaries have fallen in other industries. The City has managed to navigate the recession with only five layoffs while other local governments have had hundreds. For those of us who have worked here over 9 years, there is a generous pension. For newer employees, there is a lesser pension, but it is better than Social Security and they have a 401k with a 5% employer match.

Cons

There have been no merit pay increases for non-union employees in three years...just raises for those who have managers/directors who fight for them with the City Manager. City management seems to cave to the unions more often than not...union employees have been paying less for the exact same pension and health benefits, though that has been brought even with non-union employees over the past year.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring the union employees to the detriment of those who are not. Also, improve communication from the top down so we don't have to learn things going on with the City from the local newspaper.

Very rewarding except in the paycheck.

Current Employee - Operation Support in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Operation Support in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL

Pros

You are treated with respect and the management is very easy going. You do not feel a sense of pressure to do a good job, it is something that can be internally driven.

Cons

My pay at an entry level position is very low as well as the lack of benefits is very worrysome.

Advice to Management

I believe a greater concentration on accountability to the people should be stressed. At times people seem to be too laxadazycal in their work

Antiquated leadership

I have been working at City of Lakeland, FL full-time

Pros

You get a Pension check when you retire

Cons

Not interested in the employees only a job, no advancement or growth opportunties

Advice to Management

There is no "I" in team, it's 2012 time to diversify

RSS Feed </> Embed