City of Laredo
www.cityoflaredo.com Laredo, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

City of Laredo Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

It is just a great stepping stone.

I have been working at City of Laredo

ProsStart of your career, you gain a great amount of experience.

ConsCommunication and teamwork needs some work between employees.

Educational and disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at City of Laredo

ProsEducational and great place to learn.

ConsPreferential treatment given to co-workers. Gossip is heard in every department.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect towards employees and constituents. Keep any negative comments or criticism to yourself. Praise employees. Be fair and equal.

Discrimination and harrassment within departments

Solid Waste Heavy Equipment Operator Mark III (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Laredo

ProsGood benefits and holidays. Continuing education programs.

ConsThere is a freeze on: job opening, wage increases for city employees, but in higher management they find a way to open higher positions and increase salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministration should take the time to talk to all their city employees and find out their point of view

Good wages and stability in the work environment

Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Laredo

ProsGreat benefits and holidays. A good amount of stability. There are some good programs for continuing education where the City reimbures employees for tuition. They also have a Certified Public Manager program that is highly regarded in other cities if one chooses to move and seek employement with another municipality. The City has a leadership program that provides people interested in leadership positions with educational growth.

ConsSometimes it can be very political and you only advance if you are connected to the right individuals. Not all departments are fair on evaluations. The raises are limited to no more than four pecent merit increases and evaluations are not consistent across departments. Cost of living increases are not a guarantee and vary dependent on the available funds in the budgeting process.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should try recruiting from outside the community for top level management positions. We need people with more education and experience in the area they work.

Look elsewhere

I have been working at City of Laredo

ProsBenefits are okay. good pay rate for some positions.

ConsTuition reimbursement was "suspended" about 4 YEARS ago.
No room for advancement, unless you know someone in power.
Retaliation from management if one speaks out about problems.
Most departments do NOT work together for the good of those they are supposed to serve.
Most depts heads are only out to promote themselves, not the employees.
Management needs to enforce rules that are in place EQUALLY, not just to those that they chose to bully.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some qualified people in management. 20 YEARS in the same job is not necessarily a qualifying event.

Invaluable

12 Year Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Laredo

ProsCould only be considered a 'stepping stone' for the few inexperienced workers who have never worked anywhere else. Truth is, employees in ALL departments have been with the city for many years and plan to stay a long time.

ConsIt IS political. There ARE gaps in communication and teamwork. However, that is true for any place of employment. I must say to those naive complaining employees, no one is stopping you from finding greener pasteurs as there are plenty of people only more than happy to take your place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing an exceptional job. Its our elected leaders that are out of touch with city employees.

Worked for City of Laredo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Laredo reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by City of Laredo employees.