City of Mason

Updated February 10, 2015
Updated February 10, 2015
3.6

CEO

great working experience with local government, learning how to better the community.

I worked at City of Mason

Pros

Flexible hours, teamwork, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Management structrue is haphazard unsure whose in charge of what.

Recreation Center not so fun!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mason, OH

I worked at City of Mason part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are really nice people and many of the patrons are wonderful as well. It's nice to get a free gym membership too!

Cons

You will stand on your feet your entire shift usually in one spot, sitting is not allowed; when it's freezing cold at the front desk you are not allowed to wear a coat but you may layer clothes under the pullover they give you; basically your proper appearance as dictated by the manager is more important than your comfort; they do provide a space heater but your top half gets very cold! Sometimes it's very busy and sometimes you have nothing to do for hours but greet people. No matter how hard people try to meet the manager's criteria for performance we are reprimanded in a monthly staff meeting (we are required to attend at night) so we can be told how we're still not doing it right! We are not allowed to carry our cell phones unless they are turned off. Breaks have been inconsistent and often you must ask for one, they seem to be trying to do better with this but don't be shy about asking for a break if you need one! Hours scheduled are all over the board but you are permitted to submit availability and they seem to try to respect this.

You have a great crew of well educated, courteous and conscientious individuals (overall), treat them with some respect and courtesy and you'll have a lot happier employees and you will reduce your high turnover. You will not get everyone to perform to perfection so stop expecting that. The staff meetings are demoralizing and provide no one any motivation to try to do better.

Great Management, fun people, great atmosphere!

I have been working at City of Mason part-time

Pros

The management are down to earth, good people. Jobs and job pay are all fair. They are loyal to you if you are loyal to them!

Cons

Refusal to fire obvious terrible employees. They are too faithful in some people.

Find a way to bring in better employees

The work environment was laid-back and friendly.

I worked at City of Mason

Pros

Working at the City of Mason Parks & Recreation was good because everyone was very friendly and willing to help. It varied between fast-paced and slow, depending on the time.

Cons

Some of the management were not as knowledgeable about their responsibilities as they should have been, which was very frustrating sometimes.

Please be better informed about the Center and your duties as a manager. It's disappointing when the customer service staff know the job function better than you do.