City of Norfolk, VA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Typical City employment

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, provides essential services

Constypical city bureaucracy. very little drive in many employees

I have had a very professional and viable relationship with the City of Norfolk.

Counselor III (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI do not have to travel far to get to work.

ConsDifficulty in some areas for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore supervision for employees.

school bus driver

Bus Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA full-time for less than a year

Prosthe people are nice to work with and the hours are a good fit for me and I am sure for most of the employees

Conssome of the benefits provided could improve, but I am sure in time this situation will improve or be modified to adjust with the changing economical environment

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Be careful...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at City of Norfolk, VA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are some very good people working there, and if blessed to work under a good supervisor or manager, then it will not be such a bad place to work.

ConsSome supervisors and managers do not treat employees with dignity and respect. Many hostile work environments exist, and management is not willing to do anything about them. Discrimination is rampant, and nothing is done about it when reported.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your actions match your words. Published values excellent; practiced values contrary to what is published.

I enjoy working around the professional people who work there.

Counselor III (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRecognized as a positive organization by serving the community.

ConsAdvancement can be somewhat limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an open door policy.

Great place to work when the money was flowing and times were good. Now it balances budgets on the backs of employees.

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA

ProsFrom an IT prospective it's a laid back environment with many technical resources at it's disposal. This provides a positive learning environment for entry level employees wanting to dip into the IT enterprise architecture.

ConsNo raises or training for three years and growing. Salaries of disproportional to the job function, instead based on years of service. This breeds an environment of senior employees milking the system past retirement age with a complete lack of accountability.

Departmental priorities are purely political to the point of reckless mismanagement. Money bleeds from the budget with no strategic planning whatsoever for future projects. Simply put, management just comes every day, wings it, and expects problems to go away on their own. Meanwhile the knowledgeable are expected to just "make it work".

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the input of your employees. Involve them in high level projects and give them the opportunity to provide creative solutions to problems. Don't be so quick to outsource jobs to less talented contractors.

good

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA full-time

Proscool n ok could be better

Conslong hours in all types of weather

The work is hard, with very little appreciation from the management team, however the client are very appreicative.

Social Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at City of Norfolk, VA

ProsThe city provide the workers with free parking, credit union, and a job is better than no job.

ConsThe city has a long ways to go on bridging the gap between the social workers and middle management. Middle management has little respect for the front line workers. There is no set guide lines for promotion, promotion are given on favoritism not performance. The new director stated he will be working on this problem. There have been 3 directors in the past nine years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all workers fair and be true to yourself about the people and obstacles that bring the city moral down and promote from within.

Good Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at City of Norfolk, VA

ProsGood exposure to diverse technology and the opportunity to stretch your skills. Good leadership and peers and other employees were supportive

ConsAs with many other public institutions there are limits to compensation. Salary and bonuses were sub-par, but there was a pension which is rare to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in staff and embrace the flow of local talent from area colleges. Complementary programs such as Toast Masters are a great asset.

Worked for City of Norfolk, VA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Norfolk, VA reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by City of Norfolk, VA employees.