City of Norfolk (Virginia) Reviews

2.9
CEO

1. Customer service rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

A very nice job for students and mothers.

Cons

Having to work the late hours

Advice to Management

You are doing a wonderful job.

2. Library Aide

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) part-time

Pros

Laid back Atmosphere and dress code. The staff is friendly and familial. The work is easy, fun, and fast-paced. I always felt like part of a team.

Cons

The management does not supervise well or often. There is a lot of office politics. The work is shared between many and it is easy for others to take advantage of those that work hard.

Advice to Management

Supervise more closely. Do not be afraid of confrontation. While email blasts are informative, they hold no actual accountability for those who are misbehaving. Instead of punishing everyone, narrow down the problem and fix it at the source.

3. The problem with government

Pros

The work has the potential to be rewarding and could really impact the community.

Cons

Those that get put into management positions, have no interest or knowledge of those that they are supervising. Bean counters, there to advance themselves and no real interest beyond keeping control and not sharing enough knowledge so that anyone could challenge their little niche.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that want to do more than turn out empty reports but actually want to achieve something and improve things.

5. Youth Service Associate I

Current Employee - Library Associate I in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Library Associate I in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at City of Norfolk (Virginia) (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall I like the flexibility of working part-time as a Youth Services Library Associate I .The work atmosphere is a positive one with ongoing training opportunities ands the option to become a full- time employee later on in my career.

Cons

I would say there is a lack of leadership, but that also depends on the place of employment and some supervisors.

Advice to Management

Norfolk Public Library top management should consider hiring more HR personnel and delegating duties.

6. Decent

I have been working at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employment. Decent work life balance. You get good benefits, time, off, a pension to name a few. Most of my co-workers are hardworking friendly people.

Cons

A slow climb up the ladder; you will not get automatically promoted. Because it is civil service, you must apply for each job that opens and go against 100+ other applicants in many cases. You can move up, but you need to learn the rules of the game, interview well, and the play the politics correctly etc.

Advice to Management

Many hourly employees at the Dept. of Human Services work more than 40 hours per week, are not compensated or given flex-time, and supervisors know about it.

7. Lack of Integrity in Management

Former Employee - IT Planner and Employee Relations Chairperson in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - IT Planner and Employee Relations Chairperson in Norfolk, VA

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers in my department and others that I worked with in the City were great people. Enjoyed a flexible schedule and good benefits.

Cons

The published values of the City sound good, but are not practiced. A lot of nepotism, unfair hiring and promotion practices, employees asked to work overtime, but not paid overtime, and employes on FMLA leave have been terminated or RIFed. There were numerous reported cases of discrimination and workplace bullying that were not addressed. In many instances, those who reported a hostile work environment or reported fraud,waste, or abuse were targeted by Human Resources and eventually terminated. Older workers are being pushed out. I do not recommend working here if you are interested in a local government career. Heard Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are a little better.

Advice to Management

City Council needs to step in and make changes before Norfolk implodes.

8. Fellowship

Former Employee - Fellow in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Fellow in Norfolk, VA

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, great co-workers, learned a lot, and obtained the skills required to obtain a full-time job after fellowship

Cons

was told at the interview that they were not looking to hire a fellow and the chances of a position opening up were less likely than "being struck by lightning"

Advice to Management

i dont have any advice to give at this moment in time

9. Good work environment

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time

Pros

Good work environment. A lot of good employees working there. If you have family issues, I was lucky that my supervisor worked with me. It felt like family. Laid back.

Cons

You have to keep in mind that you do not work for the city to get rich. They will only offer you a raise if you have an offer somewhere else. Little room for promotion, or they like to hire from outside not from within.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workers, they have a lot of expertise and knowledge, and have good advices to improve how things get done.

admin

Former Employee - Administrative Analyst
    Former Employee - Administrative Analyst

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off, no accountability for work. long lunches,

Cons

so much waste, no accountability, lazy culture, lose valuable work ethics and skills working in this type of environment.

Advice to Management

clean house

great place to work

Former Employee - Software Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Software Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at City of Norfolk (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the City of Norfolk has a great working environment

Cons

upward mobility based on seniority and if you don't live in Norfolk the commute can be long

RSS Feed </> Embed