City of Oakland, CA

Updated November 5, 2014
3.5

Jean Quan
1 Rating

Great opportunity to grow within the organization.

Former Employee - Office Manager/Executive Administrative Assistant in Oakland, CA

I worked at City of Oakland, CA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of this organization's mission to serve the community; was very meaningful.

Cons

Due to recession organization closed.

n/a

Bureaucracy Nightmare

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work because of the quality of people who work here and because of the residents. You gotta love the variety and personality. There is potential to do great things in this City and most of the employees want to do just that.

Cons

The bureaucracy is a nightmare. If the citizens think it is impossible for them to get anything done, they should walk a mile in the employee's shoes. We work months and sometimes a year just to get contracts completed. It also doesn't help that we know we aren't paid as much as our counterparts at smaller cities. We lost a huge part of our income during the economic downturn which puts us further behind financially and we have no hope to recover. Poor morale does not help employees do a great job.

Someone who is in charge needs to champion a more efficient and streamlined government process that is easy for staff to navigate so we can focus our energy on helping the residents we're supposed to serve. You need to embrace something called Process Improvement within the administration of this government and stick to it until it is done. It also doesn't help that we can't keep a City Administrator long enough to accomplish much. Find ways to help employees who have lost income. Look for creative ways to get us into housing and to help us obtain the things we need at lower cost through collective purchasing.

Great Company

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Met lots of people. One of my best job experiences!

Cons

Supervisors pigeon holed you into positions so that once you were doing something it was hard to transition to another type of job.

Best place to build skills as an intern

Current Employee - Fraud, Waste and Abuse Master Fellow in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Fraud, Waste and Abuse Master Fellow in Oakland, CA

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They adjust your work pace and tasks to your skill level.
    Very patient.
    The management and every civil servant in the Auditor's office is friendly and takes the time to teach interns and provide guidance towards your future.
    You dont do "busy" work. The auditor's office has a culture that the intern is there contributing to the mission of the department rather than courier from the nearby coffee shop

Cons

As an intern, I don't get paid.

Just keep on doing what your doing.

I Chaerge of working with commercial development projects

Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA

Pros

The people, residents are great and the City has enormous potential for quality of life and other amenities.

Cons

Old boys club mentality,not ready to make startegic changes to benefit at macro level. Politics, favoritism and not enough concensus among top managers.

Focus on sustainable projects that will benefit the City and not individuals.

Oakland is just ok

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Oakland, CA

I worked at City of Oakland, CA

Pros

Good pay and convenient location located just above the 12th St BART station.

Cons

There is a lack of knowledge sharing and willingness to change within the HR and Admin departments. I can't say how the others operate, but this was a serious issue in these two departments.

There are way too many people being paid to do very little work. Especially in the HR and Admin departments.

Content, but could be happier

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA

Pros

Doing work for the public good. Flexible work arrangements available.

Cons

Lack of resources, lack of mentorship

N/A

Welcome to Oaktown!

Current Employee - PPT Library Aide in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - PPT Library Aide in Oakland, CA

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA

Pros

Good benefits even for part-time staff as well as better job security than non-civil service.

Cons

Civil service system convoluted; tends to reward longevity versus performance; very very difficult to get promotions. Despite union, many concessions made due to constant city budget issues.

Leave the ivory tower occasionally; visit the branches and see what happens in the trenches. Library management has absolutely no clue as to the working conditions faced by workers. Security is non-existent in many branches; as the economy worsens, staff are faced with more and more "challenging" patrons on a daily basis.

The City of Oakland

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Salary is above average compared with the private sector. Benefits are much better than the outside but losing ground. Management is getting better since the hiring audit.

Cons

Many managers and supervisors from the "old guard" still employed. Very little chance of moving up since many management personal will not retire or find another job. It is because they do not have the qualifications (a 4 year college degree). New blood is needed at the top. Too many layers of management. Communication is improving but still room for improvement. Also harder to make a living with furlough days (between 12 to 20 days per year). Also, each employee must contribute 8 to 12 % of your pay towards their pension. Hard on employees. Actually witness a repo men towing an employee vehicle away.

Upper management is on the right track with streamlining each agency within the City. Need to reduce more middle management.

Good place to work, but you have to perform well to get best assignments

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at City of Oakland, CA

Pros

Good pay & benefits, great location, easy commute by public transportation

Cons

Overall budget is in the red...layoffs...and no resources for employee training

Keep the good employees ...regardless of seniority or union rules