City of Philadelphia

Be The First To
Add Photos

City of Philadelphia Mayor Michael A. Nutter

Michael A. Nutter

Pros
  • Great benefits including pension(in 4 reviews)

• There's great people, and you know that you're work will make an impact on someone else's life(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Civil service system incapable of rewarding the people who produce the best results(in 2 reviews)

• No pay raises for City employees in the past 4 years(in 2 reviews)

A great place to work, with wonderful people.

ProsThere's great people, and you know that you're work will make an impact on someone else's life. Accessible location, and once again great people

ConsSlow processes, bureaucratic systems, not easy to communicate and share info yet, not always jobs with the ability to move up

My experience with the city was very pleasant

Crew Worker (Former Employee) Phila, PA

Prosbeing and having a stable job.

Conssome of the challenges are always being on time and working hard.

Advice to Senior Managementbe a little easy on the new employees

The sky's the limit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOften tasks arose that weren't in your job description, and these were opportunities for growth. I gained skills I never thought possible as a result.

ConsEntrenched long term employees resistant to change often created a hostile work atmosphere. There's also a culture of antiquated ideas about women and minorities in some quarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to learn from long term employees and get their buy in. Then let them know you agenda and stick to it. Too often new management automatically treated existing employees as impediments. that is a mistake.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Title registration aide .1

ProsNo stress, lots of vacation, sick and administrative leave days. Pension plan a big plus. 11 paid holidays a year.

ConsLittle opportunity for promotion within department. Pay is relatively low for skill set required.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great and caring in this department. Pay needs a bit of a bump, still on 2009 contract pay. After that is fixed we will be a ok.

Very rewarding job, learned a lot!

Organizational Management (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsVery good benefits and well balanced job.

ConsNot enough vacation time or sick time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor individuals with degrees

Free money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like being paid for doing nothing

ConsTrying to stay awake for 8 hrs while sitting around doing nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should make sure you know what your employees are doing every day

Very uplifting and rewarding.

Executive Management (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsYou get the opportunity for personal growth and development. You meet a wealth of people from different backgrounds and experiences. Adn it is a great career that offers long term fianacial security.

ConsYou can get locked into a longterm job that doesn't offer upward mobility, or your immediate upline decides to make a career out of the position you need for the next step up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough management can't offer finalcial perks other than a paycheck, managers should keep in mind the constant need for staff encouragement, development, and training. A little praise or thank you's can get a lot more than not. Also,If you are to hold an employee accountable, it is your responsibility as mangement to make sure employees have the compentcy level to fulfill the job.

Very posiive

Intern (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsI was an intern and got valuable experience. It helped me afterward getting a job having the experinence on my resume

ConsIt was an unpaid internship so towards the the end of the 6 months during winter it's hard to stay motivated

Great Place to Work

Intern (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood work life balance, plenty of holidays and schedule flexibility, good management. The other employees were very energetic and excited to make a difference in Philadelphia.

ConsSome bureaucratic processes bogged down the work cycle. Sometimes cross department collaboration was more difficult than it should have been.

Good for learning but money is not good

Graduate Intern (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsVery helpful co-workers. My mentor was very helpful and friendly. My schedule was very flexible.

ConsI was not assigned that many assignments. I spent most of the time by gossiping.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease let us do something.

Worked for City of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!