City of Richmond Virginia

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dwight C. Jones

My job

Speech Pathologist (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe District has a lot of good people working here. They are Beth talented and knowledgeable.

ConsToo much of the "good old buddy" hiring practice going on. Qualified people are overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at some of the people you already have in the system who are qualified to perform leadership jobs and stop brining in fm from other places who know nothing about the District and no real love for RPS other than the opportunity for a new job.

Know What You Are Getting Into

ProsWork-Life Balance
    Very little Office Politics - If you do your job well, you will be noticed. Not about how much your manager likes you. You advance by applying to higher positions when they come open. The HR policy is strict enough to where a group of people must give a VALID reason to not hire you. Kudos to HR.
    A decent amount of turnover - Now if you are a go-getter, this is a pro instead of a con. Because of the turnover, you can go from the bottom to the top faster than most places.
    You can get into a lot of different areas if you want. If you want experience this is the place.

ConsLeadership and culture changes with every administration - If the administration is bad, you will have to deal with it for awhile.
    Benefits could be better.
    Raises depend on a lot of surplus money - This is public government.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within more.
    Hire people that have desire and motivation.

Poor example of government employeement

Lab Technologist (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsUnderstanding of family events and flexible scheduling.

ConsNo raises, even if you have consistent high evaluations. Raises are given to favorites, not those whom actually earn them. Insurance is extremely expensive; you could get your own for less money. If you are dedicated with a strong work ethic, you will simply get used.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the TRUE meaning of DIVERSITY and VALUE of all of your employees, regardless of ethnicity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad habit of hiring higher level managers that don't have the needed skill set

ProsGreat opportunity to work with the community and give back. People are friendly for the most part.

ConsThose of us that know what they are doing get overloaded with the work. The proper staff structure to handle all the work really isn't in place and it is nearly impossible to get rid of those who are not performing even remotely adequately.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduce more. Understand the metrics within the financial statements and where our weak areas are so that you can understand what needs to be addressed.

Not the place you want to be if you are looking to advance in your career.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsNo pros at this time.

ConsCareer advancement is obsolete.

Watch Your Back

City Economist (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsAs they are desperate for talent, they will overpay on initial salary. However, raises are rare and when they do occur, they are small.

ConsPolitical environment. You work at the whim of the CAO, or Deputy CAO. It is adversarial with the City Council. There is a scandal to be dealt with every few weeks.
    Insurance, retirement, etc are very meager now. If you are a long time employee, it was very generous, but this has been scaled back now due to budget problems.
    Easily the least professional, least ambitious coworkers I have ever been associated with. There are a few good folks there, but most of them are lifers who have no desire or hope of making things better for the citizens.
    The most talented people all figure this out and usual leave for greener pastures. If not, they are often driven out for disagreeing with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the smart people you have working for you. Treat City Council and the counties as partners rather than enemies.

Stable position but lacks growth potential, concern for employees, and quality talent.

Richmond, VA

ProsStable position and free bus fare

ConsNot many raises, not a lot of desire from upper management to make employees happy or retain quality talent. Very conservative and dated views from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees happy and they will want to do a good job for you.

Employee center customer service and good benefits and fair wages

Trades Superintendent (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee Longevity, and work cultuer

ConsEmployee Parking is restricted, and management changes sometimes every two years

Advice to Senior ManagementSeeking to trust your employees more with their work

Great Introduction Into Public Sector Employment

Richmond, VA

ProsWorking with people who passionate about they do and genuinely care about the population they serve.

Cons"Old school" mentalities that are not objective when making promotion decisions, aversion to change, slow professional growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees who have advice on how to improve processes. A lot of times the people who are on the front lines working directly with customers have the best ideas for improving the workplace because of their interactions with citizens.

Volunteer

Office Support Assistant I (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsIn what may seem to be the recovery stages of the Bush error of social economic , The center has help me diversified my Certification in different studies of the work classification!

ConsNO matter how you think you not going to be able to get far , that's when they know it not your time to give up !That when feeling get involved .

Advice to Senior ManagementJUST !keep on pushing your get it done.

Worked for City of Richmond Virginia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Richmond Virginia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for City of Richmond Virginia CEO Dwight C. Jones. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by City of Richmond Virginia employees.