City of Salem Oregon

City of Salem Oregon Reviews

Updated Feb 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

The work can be good, but challenging. Middle management can make things intolerable.

Police Corporal (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsPay and benefits are fairly good, but health care benefits continue to get worse, as elsewhere. Life/work balance is pretty good. The patrol schedule is 4/10 hour days. Shift work is difficult, but that's the line of work. Some opportunities for advancement.

ConsCan be extremely political and still small town in outlook. Promotions often turn out to be based on who you are and who you are friends with. Discipline is extremely discretionary and often based on personal likes and dislikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at middle management. There are sergeants and lieutenants who have no business being police officers let alone being in management. Senior management is generally good.

decent employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsPay and benefits are above average. On surface they seem to be employee supportive. Just be aware that they have their own interests at heart and will do what they have to protect themselves.

ConsInsurance coverage gets worse each year. Raises are few and far between for non union employees.

A good job with good people

Web Architect (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsReliable work environment with work life balance

ConsManagement and politics, little room for advancement, declining benefits and pay package

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better off being on housing (and sane) than working for them!

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Stayton, OR

ProsSalem Housing Authority does have a great retirement plan (PERS). While I was not able to contribute to it myself the city still did and when I left I took a substancial amount of money in my PERS account with me. The best reason to work for the City used to be the insurance coverage for not only the employee but also full coverage for the family that was paid for by the employer. Now, unless you are a Tier 1 or 2 they have nothing more to offer now then many private companies.

ConsDisgruntled employees that are over worked and under appreciated. Most employees are biding their time Monday through Friday by gossiping, lying and backstabbing each other. When the opportunity presents its self for new employees they are usually burnt out and discouraged in the first 6 months and end up leaving for other employment at the first opportunity given. Management uses old work philosophy to solve employee relationship issues by slapping them on the hand with a smile instead of dealing with the trouble makers in fear of the "Legal team and Union" being called in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take a position of leadership/management unless you can actually fulfill the position. Being hired because of who you are and not your abilities won't help the mission. Step down and let the healing begin!!

City of Salem is a pretty good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBetter compensated then most government jobs
    generous benefit package
    Co workers are friendly
    Management is mostly good
    lots of different fields

ConsMust tow the line and not ruffle feathers. Don't ask questions and keep your head down. Little turnover with some employees staying over 30 years so may take a long time to move up.

Worked for City of Salem Oregon? Contribute to the Community!