City of Salem Oregon Reviews

CEO

1. Tries hard

Current Employee - OK to Work for, But At the Whim of City Council
    Current Employee - OK to Work for, But At the Whim of City Council

I have been working at City of Salem Oregon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The current City Manager Linda Norris tries hard to wisely spend taxpayer dollars and avoid layoffs. Like to promote from within.

Cons

Political as all govt is

2. Great environment, rewarding work!

Current Employee - QMHA in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - QMHA in Salem, OR

I have been working at City of Salem Oregon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is always rewarding feeling like you're making a difference for clients and it's even better with a great team support beside you!

Cons

There can be divides between the various portions of the programs within the City of Salem which sometimes causes helping clients to be difficult.

3. I loved giving great customer service but management was very rigid.

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Salem, OR

I worked at City of Salem Oregon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about governmental accounting and received some training. The experience was overall pretty good. The benefits at the city were excellent as far as insurance and PERS went. I worked there for 13 years.

Cons

Very rigid office culture, micro-managing and the political circus were prevalent. My supervisor and I had a personality clash and she was always criticizing my work. I have never had problems with a manager before. I was always praised by previous supervisors about how well I was doing and how accurate my work was. I needed to take time for my MBA China Residency trip, but management would not approve the time off. With all the stress inflicted upon me daily I decided to give notice.

Advice to Management

Encourage critical thinking, allow employees to give input, encourage educational advancement.

5. Great work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at City of Salem Oregon

Pros

People and employee oriented management styles

Cons

None noteworthy for five words.

Advice to Management

None noteworthy

6. The work can be good, but challenging. Middle management can make things intolerable.

Current Employee - Police Corporal in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Police Corporal in Salem, OR

I have been working at City of Salem Oregon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are fairly good, but health care benefits continue to get worse, as elsewhere. Life/work balance is pretty good. The patrol schedule is 4/10 hour days. Shift work is difficult, but that's the line of work. Some opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Can be extremely political and still small town in outlook. Promotions often turn out to be based on who you are and who you are friends with. Discipline is extremely discretionary and often based on personal likes and dislikes.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at middle management. There are sergeants and lieutenants who have no business being police officers let alone being in management. Senior management is generally good.

7. decent employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at City of Salem Oregon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average. On surface they seem to be employee supportive. Just be aware that they have their own interests at heart and will do what they have to protect themselves.

Cons

Insurance coverage gets worse each year. Raises are few and far between for non union employees.

8. A good job with good people

Current Employee - Web Architect in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Web Architect in Salem, OR

I have been working at City of Salem Oregon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reliable work environment with work life balance

Cons

Management and politics, little room for advancement, declining benefits and pay package

9. Better off being on housing (and sane) than working for them!

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Stayton, OR
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Stayton, OR

I worked at City of Salem Oregon

Pros

Salem Housing Authority does have a great retirement plan (PERS). While I was not able to contribute to it myself the city still did and when I left I took a substancial amount of money in my PERS account with me. The best reason to work for the City used to be the insurance coverage for not only the employee but also full coverage for the family that was paid for by the employer. Now, unless you are a Tier 1 or 2 they have nothing more to offer now then many private companies.

Cons

Disgruntled employees that are over worked and under appreciated. Most employees are biding their time Monday through Friday by gossiping, lying and backstabbing each other. When the opportunity presents its self for new employees they are usually burnt out and discouraged in the first 6 months and end up leaving for other employment at the first opportunity given. Management uses old work philosophy to solve employee relationship issues by slapping them on the hand with a smile instead of dealing with the trouble makers in fear of the "Legal team and Union" being called in.

Advice to Management

Don't take a position of leadership/management unless you can actually fulfill the position. Being hired because of who you are and not your abilities won't help the mission. Step down and let the healing begin!!

10. City of Salem is a pretty good place to work.

I worked at City of Salem Oregon

Pros

Better compensated then most government jobs
    generous benefit package
    Co workers are friendly
    Management is mostly good
    lots of different fields

Cons

Must tow the line and not ruffle feathers. Don't ask questions and keep your head down. Little turnover with some employees staying over 30 years so may take a long time to move up.