City of San Diego

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Exceptional Therapeutic recreation program

Intern TR (Former Employee)

ProsVery diverse program for all types of clients needs. Co-workers are great, very helpful, teamwork environment. I was exposed to so many different situations and allowed be to grow professionally.

ConsAs an intern, I received a very small stipend. They should consider a larger stipend to match what other internships offer.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great People, Excellent Work/Life Balance, and Very Smart Colleagues

Deputy (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExcellent location in downtown San Diego. A great updated library to conduct legal research, Very friendly staff, managers, and attorneys. Everyone is always willing to help eachother, and everyone respects eachother regardless of title. One major distinction from private sector jobs: Staff runs the show around here. No constant pressure, but certainly reminders from management to take your breaks and take vacations so you stay fresh and don't burn-out. Very knowledgeable work teams with colleagues hailing from Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, SDSU, USD, Columbia, and NYU. You are always free to speak your mind without any worry, and your performance is truly evaluated objectively. There is also a party for everything! Babyshowers, Birthdays, Promotions, Potlucks every week, Quarterly performance Recognitions and rewards, flexible leave time. If you have kids, you always get to attend all of their school events without ever worrying about being gone from work, you can telecommute from home if you have repair appointments at home, if you get a cold you don't feel bad about being gone, and nobody makes you feel guilty. In fact, if you even resemble any sickness people just say, Go home! If you take time off, you don't return to work with a back log, unless you failed to delegate prior to your departure. Work past 5pm....What?!?! Never!!! It can wait till tomorrow.

ConsResistance to change; Unions Rule everything; The public dictates your assignments; Seniority prohibits promotion for hard work, and instead the worst employees might end up being your boss due to tenure; bad employees that are protected by Civil Service Commission may sabotage you and lie - although everyone knows who these people are - and those people are well aware nobody likes them. Mostly everyone is nice but there are some egotists that are rude and condescending - bright side is those egotists are isolated and have no friends in the office - not to worry about them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive out more discretionary leave time. Pursue cost of living increases. Allow employees to attend special conferences and training. Fire the lazy people - we know who they are so do they. Almost forgot, office is racially imbalanced but this changes with administration - right now its republican, which obviously explains the current imbalance.

Fun excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the kids brought me joy

ConsThe hours where not so good

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to learn the basics in the professional environment with city projects.

Student Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe workplace culture in each division is different. Most of my experience was with Field Engineering.

There is always something to do, so you will always be busy so long you ask for work. Student Engineer and Intern work is not very difficult, but it is very heavy on the paper-pushing; however, you will learn a lot.
    Getting to go out in the field to inspect sites was the best; you get to see construction process first-handedly!
    Training is very prominent and continuous for those who are willing to attend long training sessions (yes, you still get paid for them).
    Time off (as intern/student) is the most flexible out of all companies you go to. However, you still need to try to complete your 20 hour work week when you're part time (they really do need you there), and 40hr work week during break from school (winter break & summer break).
    I feel extremely thankful to have worked here during the majority of my student years.
    Great people too!

ConsToo much paper-pushing at times, not enough field time. (Again, for Field Division, not Downtown desk work).

Advice to Senior ManagementReferring to the Cons: Please try to let students go out in the field more; hands-on experiences are where this previous employer learned the most!

Great people, interesting projects

ProsGreat people to work with
    Interesting projects

ConsMany areas that need to be fixed
    Culture is very resistant to change

valuable internship experience

Planning Intern (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFlexible schedules, I got to go to meetings that really involved the top people in my field and it was great for networking. Everyone seems to remember you and it opened up a ton of doors for me and make me feel like i was getting real experiences.

Consbad work location downtown, pay wasn't amazing

tons of experience for interns

Certified Law Student (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosopportunity for trial work if certified, and most attorneys are very willing to take interns under their wing. Lots of room for growth.

Consinternships are unpaid and the office is lacking in electronic equipment. They're still using windows XP in certain offices.

Parks Leader

ProsAmazing place to work. Love the environment.

ConsNone. There isnt any Cons I can think of.

Not enough to do

Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood working environment, great co-workers.

ConsVery slow. A lot of projects get stuck in Government red tape

Environmental Services Department

ProsEasy Breezy - Its the Government - Work is real but never rushed or too intense

ConsPeople go here to die. God its a slow process but thats beaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some new interesting faces, work could not be more dull

Worked for City of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!