City of San Diego

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.7

CEO

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Meaningful work benefitting the community, low stress, flexible schedules, great benefits if you were hired before they eliminated the pension. Co-workers and supervisors are good to great depending on Division, very low worker turnover.

Cons

It can take a long time to get anything done due to the large bureaucracy and amount of approval required. Outdated software. Dealing with angry citizens. Pay is competitive but based solely on number of years worked. No cost of living increases in many years. Unless you are promoted, you will hit the salary cap after 4 years in a position. Can easily be pigeonholed into doing the same thing for many years.

Make sure work is distributed evenly among employees. Allow rotations to different sections and cross training.

Interning at the City

I have been working at City of San Diego

Pros

The best part of working here is the freedom you are given. You are allowed to learn at your own pace.

Cons

Its government, it can slow and bureaucratic.

Was a great place to work at one time, but they keep taking money and retirement back.

Former Employee - Management  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at City of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security if you do your job we'll.

Cons

Work hard for little pay.

Quite bringing politics in play with employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exceptional Therapeutic recreation program

Former Employee - Intern TR
    Former Employee - Intern TR

I worked at City of San Diego as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very diverse program for all types of clients needs. Co-workers are great, very helpful, teamwork environment. I was exposed to so many different situations and allowed be to grow professionally.

Cons

As an intern, I received a very small stipend. They should consider a larger stipend to match what other internships offer.

none

Great People, Excellent Work/Life Balance, and Very Smart Colleagues

Current Employee - Deputy  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Deputy in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent location in downtown San Diego. A great updated library to conduct legal research, Very friendly staff, managers, and attorneys. Everyone is always willing to help eachother, and everyone respects eachother regardless of title. One major distinction from private sector jobs: Staff runs the show around here. No constant pressure, but certainly reminders from management to take your breaks and take vacations so you stay fresh and don't burn-out. Very knowledgeable work teams with colleagues hailing from Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, SDSU, USD, Columbia, and NYU. You are always free to speak your mind without any worry, and your performance is truly evaluated objectively. There is also a party for everything! Babyshowers, Birthdays, Promotions, Potlucks every week, Quarterly performance Recognitions and rewards, flexible leave time. If you have kids, you always get to attend all of their school events without ever worrying about being gone from work, you can telecommute from home if you have repair appointments at home, if you get a cold you don't feel bad about being gone, and nobody makes you feel guilty. In fact, if you even resemble any sickness people just say, Go home! If you take time off, you don't return to work with a back log, unless you failed to delegate prior to your departure. Work past 5pm....What?!?! Never!!! It can wait till tomorrow.

Cons

Resistance to change; Unions Rule everything; The public dictates your assignments; Seniority prohibits promotion for hard work, and instead the worst employees might end up being your boss due to tenure; bad employees that are protected by Civil Service Commission may sabotage you and lie - although everyone knows who these people are - and those people are well aware nobody likes them. Mostly everyone is nice but there are some egotists that are rude and condescending - bright side is those egotists are isolated and have no friends in the office - not to worry about them.

Give out more discretionary leave time. Pursue cost of living increases. Allow employees to attend special conferences and training. Fire the lazy people - we know who they are so do they. Almost forgot, office is racially imbalanced but this changes with administration - right now its republican, which obviously explains the current imbalance.

Fun excellent

I worked at City of San Diego

Pros

Working with the kids brought me joy

Cons

The hours where not so good

Excellent place to learn the basics in the professional environment with city projects.

Former Employee - Student Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at City of San Diego as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

The workplace culture in each division is different. Most of my experience was with Field Engineering.

There is always something to do, so you will always be busy so long you ask for work. Student Engineer and Intern work is not very difficult, but it is very heavy on the paper-pushing; however, you will learn a lot.
    Getting to go out in the field to inspect sites was the best; you get to see construction process first-handedly!
    Training is very prominent and continuous for those who are willing to attend long training sessions (yes, you still get paid for them).
    Time off (as intern/student) is the most flexible out of all companies you go to. However, you still need to try to complete your 20 hour work week when you're part time (they really do need you there), and 40hr work week during break from school (winter break & summer break).
    I feel extremely thankful to have worked here during the majority of my student years.
    Great people too!

Cons

Too much paper-pushing at times, not enough field time. (Again, for Field Division, not Downtown desk work).

Referring to the Cons: Please try to let students go out in the field more; hands-on experiences are where this previous employer learned the most!

Great people, interesting projects

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with
    Interesting projects

Cons

Many areas that need to be fixed
    Culture is very resistant to change

valuable internship experience

Current Employee - Planning Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedules, I got to go to meetings that really involved the top people in my field and it was great for networking. Everyone seems to remember you and it opened up a ton of doors for me and make me feel like i was getting real experiences.

Cons

bad work location downtown, pay wasn't amazing

tons of experience for interns

Current Employee - Certified Law Student  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Law Student in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego as an intern for less than a year

Pros

opportunity for trial work if certified, and most attorneys are very willing to take interns under their wing. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

internships are unpaid and the office is lacking in electronic equipment. They're still using windows XP in certain offices.

Worked for City of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!