City of San José

www.sanjoseca.gov

City of San José Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
City of San José – San Jose – “Council comendation”

City of San José – San Jose – “Council comendation”

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe City of San Jose has great employees and their benefits are pretty great, too. There was a nice family atmosphere in the area in which worked.

ConsPolitics gets in the way too much, and it was disheartening to see so many really great people loose their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for the people who work under you.

Learned a lot, but very negative culture

Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWorked directly with very intelligent leaders
    Very fair compensation
    Flexible hours as an intern

ConsPoor office culture, senior management did not do a lot to raise it

My overall experience is positive, for the most part. I have no personal axe to grind.

Marketing, Communications and Public Outreach Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe majority are very hard working staff
    Many departments are family friendly
    Some departments will allow a minimal amount of work from home option
    Medical benefits are good
    Personal growth is dependent upon the individual

Cons-Staff works hard, too many people have left so the work has tripled and salaries are not commensurate.
    -The current Mayor, Chuck Reed has single-handedly demotivated the entire staff. The culture has fallen substantially from where it used to be and people are leaving because they no longer trust key decision makers. The City has lost really good staff, people who have valuable, historical knowledge.
    -The Office of Employee Relations has a terrible reputation for intimidation and handling situations very poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementALL key executives, from the Mayor's office to the City Manager's office to Directors and middle management need training, especially in how to handle conflict, how to manage more effectively

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively high pay for public sector, potential to change positions with internal hires/transfers, flexible work schedules and start times, good for work-life balance, no overtime (unless that is a regular part of your position)

ConsHigh turnover, many layers of management, benefits rapidly decreasing. Like many public sector jobs right now, there is a mix of newer to government work employees and quite a few employees just waiting until retirement.

not the best experience

Prosbenefits and pay are higher than non profits

Consinconsiderate of employees and not open about lay offs

Fascinating and exciting

Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are several highly motivated and intelligent managers and senior managers who appreciate the effort put forth from their employees. If you are fortunate enough to land a permanent position with the City, you will be set for life.

ConsYou need to be able to work around slackers - if you are highly motivated and self-driven it can be very discouraging working with people who have forgotten for whom they work, i.e. the public.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to start keeping documentation on employees who do not perform their jobs with competence. A lot of time is wasted on non-business chatting; pay attention to your employees' work output - if they know their manager is looking over their work, they should get the message. Good luck!

I really enjoy working in this department, it's a lot of fun.

ProsChildren love to have fun and co-workers are awesome.

ConsThere is a lot of planning you have to do and sometimes children get picked up really late and that is something you have no control of. You are also limited to about 1,040 hours a year so once you max out you're out of a job until it starts over again.

Cashier, open new accounts, provide customer service.

Library Clerk (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat pay with benefits even as a part time employee. Great if you are in college.

ConsLays offs are done frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

San Jose-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility

Technical Writer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWorking with a diverse group of people.

ConsThe recent pay cuts for city employees.

glad to not be there

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgreat people at the City

Conspoor leadership from management team

Advice to Senior Managementquit hiring your buddies.

Worked for City of San José? Contribute to the Community!