City of San José

Updated July 20, 2014
Updated July 20, 2014

3.2

CEO

I love working for the city!

Current Employee - Page  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Page in San Jose, CA

Pros

All of my co-workers are a joy to work with and I have always felt welcomed.

Cons

There are time when the budget can be slim and the hours are not always the best. But overall a great experience.

Management as always been nothing but fair and easy to talk to. If there is ever any problem in the workplace or with a coworker the issue is handled promptly.

An impactful department moving forward America's 10th largest city

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The Office of Economic Development is populated with a group of extremely intelligent entrepreneurial and innovative thinkers who consider comprehensive context for the work they perform.

Cons

If a candidate understands and is willing to work within a the context of a government entity, this is a great place to work. Rebels and prima donnas should look elsewhere.

While the department allowed innovative, entrepreneurial work to take place, management should consider tools to alleviate time necessary for obligatory (it is government;-) administrative tasks.

Good organization in decline as budgets force pay reductions and staff depart.

Current Employee - Program Manager II  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in San Jose, CA

Pros

Strong leadership, clear goals, very efficient workforces

Cons

Budget considerations drive the organization. Slow but continued decline.

To maintain the effectiveness of smaller teams, delegate authority - trust your staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible work environment for anyone those seeking a part time position.

Former Employee - Library Page  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Library Page in San Jose, CA

Pros

The work environment is bar none very friendly. Scheduling is very flexible and hourly wage is very competitive.

Cons

The one thing I disliked the most about the employment is that there is very little reward at the end of the day. Trying to move up the ladder is very difficult and time consuming. The only way to move up the ladder is to wait for opening positions to apply for and thereby a long lengthy process. The job is great if you are looking for a part time job, but as a permanent employment I'd look elsewhere.

Recent years they have changed how much work hours you receive and it does not go into your favor. At most after I left, I was only receiving 10-12 hours a week and had to work at two locations due to the closure of some days for the library.

Stuck in the past

Current Employee - PRNS
    Current Employee - PRNS

Pros

- For me, my job is a unique position in a small, specialized field. This is the only reason I'm still here.

Cons

- Pensions? Who pays pensions any more? What an antiquated concept.
    - Employee compensation seems to be the last priority for city spending. I don't understand how they manage to retain ANY employees.
    - Despite my job's specialized requirements, I have a generic city job title, which means I'm subject to seniority/bumping. I've had 2 layoff notices (later rescinded) in three years. Has HR even heard of "morale"?
    - Many departments are full of "lifers" putting in minimal effort until their pension kicks in. Again, terrible for morale.

The best part of my high school years.

Former Employee - Library Aide  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Library Aide in San Jose, CA

Pros

Valuable experience, great pay, reasonable workload. Made tons of friends here and was able to work in a calm environment.

Cons

The libraries tended to have tons of kids and patrons who were somewhat inconsiderate when it came to keeping the floor organized and respecting employees.

You guys rock! Always very adaptive and flexible to employee needs.

Working for the City of San Jose

Former Employee - Senior Construction Inspector  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Construction Inspector in San Jose, CA

Pros

Security and low stress work

Cons

Politics with promotions and transfers.

Always promote from within.

Library Job

Current Employee - Library Page  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Library Page in San Jose, CA

Pros

Extremely flexible when it comes to scheduling. A great job for a college student.

Cons

Limit to few hours a week, making hard to accumulate cash.

Instead of limiting hours given to staff have fewer staff with more hours.

Amazing Mentors - Unmotivated Staff.

Pros

I am so fortunate to gain amazing mentors during and after my time with the City. A genuine interest in learning anything anytime, improving programs and services, being adaptable to various personalities - with the right manager made my experience absolutely wonderful. I was able to hop on a wide range of projects, work on high-level analytical projects and expand on my network of meeting ambitious, intelligent people who go all in for community improvement. It made my work in public service extremely meaningful. I am so grateful for my learning experience - it deserves the five stars.

Cons

Observations and networking uncovers the unmotivated who are really there just for the pension and have no desire to improve the system or do "just enough". Depending on managers, expectations can be low and innovation or improvement is poorly evaluated (if at all). Managers (not mine) may also not understand quality or how to improve. Often, intelligence takes a backseat to seniority and politics (horrible for progress). Staff evaluations, pensions and unions need major improvement. Staff are afraid to take the risk to improve the system (bumping was happening and budget cuts hurt - it was sad - the fear still lingers on when budgets improve). There are some amazing managers and senior staff, a lot more uninspiring staff than I'd like to see. San Jose - for a large city, has decent programs and services and increasing civic engagement. Too bad the cons slow down or cuts the progress.

I wish you the best. If your staff are not evaluated appropriately or developing their skills, you should review your organizational development process. You have a problem with retaining smart people who cares about San Jose residents. Managers and staff need to be held accountable for continuous improvement. Status quo needs work and you need to trim the fat.

low morale and incompetent management

Pros

At this point in time, none. this is not a place you want to be, except if you just need a paycheck.

Cons

Where do I start. This is a place where motivation, skill and enthusiasm will be quickly crushed. Incompetence is rewarded with promotions, which then perpetuates itself throughout the organization. Morale is rock bottom due to attacks on the primary reason most people come to work there, and stay, which is the pension system. All the talk about collaboration, cooperation, ect.- all lies. You have been warned.

Give the whole city a break and fire yourselves.

Worked for City of San José? Contribute to the Community!