City of San José

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014
3.3

CEO

Pros
  • I would say good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to work, modern environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The department was rather backlogged when I was there (they were playing catch-up after losing some personnel during budget cuts) (in 5 reviews)

• Working for Mayor Chuck Reed, raises are based on years of service, not performance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Bait and Switch....

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Although things are changing quickly, one of the best reasons to work at the City is the benefits package (health, dental, etc)... Another benefit is the people. I've built some wonderful relationships with several people at the City.

Cons

The performance review process is very subjective from one supervisor to the other. I've been with the City for just a few years and my staff haven't had reviews for more than 5 years. After completing my review of them, I was asked to change it because it was too harsh and didn't reflect their past evaluations. Also, the City is years behind changing it's retirement system and now it's trying to change the system on the back of its employees, rather than biting the bullet and doing away with the pension and moving to a public sector 401k or IRA.

Remember what's important. Good, hard working employees are more important that trying to satisfy the whims of the political mass of the City. This year it's pension, next year it will be something new. When you lose all the good employees, the City will fall apart.

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Employees are highly educated. Great experience with a variety of work assignments. Benefits and pay were great once.

Cons

Compensation and benefits used to balance out heavy workload. But now with budget cuts there is only extremely heavy workload. Compensation and benefits are being cut and management shows no appreciation for the employees.

Please show more appreciation towards your employees. We love this city and we love serving the citizens of san jose. But it is difficult to work in an environment where employees are blamed for a problem that was really created by the decisionmakers.

Tough but Satisfying

Former Employee - Job Placement Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Job Placement Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at City of San José

Pros

- Great team, good coworkers - tough boss - but we were always clear as to what was excepted from us.

Cons

- Upper level management was all to fond of completely keeping all employees out of the loop. Things too often were done in secrecy. Changes were often made hastily and with out much forth sight.

Ask your employees what they think - they have a good handle on how things are operated.

Interesting work being done there, but only a few people are doing it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at City of San José

Pros

Flexibility with schedule, retirement plan, they understand that you have a life outside of work. They are a progressive city in many ways.

Cons

Workforce is aging and tend to be very protective of their work. There is surprisingly little cross-departmental cooperation or leveraging of resources.

Stable Easygoing Job

Former Employee - Library Aide in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Library Aide in San Jose, CA

I worked at City of San José

Pros

Friendly coworkers, engaging atmosphere, great perks, room for growth.

Cons

Is subject to budget cuts by the city which can jeopardize your employment.

Great job!

Great place to work several years ago,but know City is reducing all employees salaries to balance the budget.

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Greatpay and benefits, but know everything is being reduced due to budget cuts

Cons

City Government has recommended downsizing of all departments

Consider alternative ways to keep public sector workers on the job without overly demanding pay cuts.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at City of San José

Pros

Flexible work schedule, friendly staff

Cons

Rigid salary schedules, not much incentive for pay increase

Get rid of (or modify) the seniority rules for laying off people

Good experience

Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at City of San José

Pros

Great place to work out of college. Unfortunately with the city budget unstable many people were laid off during my time there. Had a lot of opportunity to learn new things but not much career advancement opportunity. The department trusted interns with lots of tools and information that made for a great experience. People working there are very pleasant.

Cons

Very little career advancement options. Hired from the outside.

Consider interns for positions.

From bad to worse

Current Employee - Plant Mechanic in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Plant Mechanic in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

This is a large municipalite and you are going to make a lot of friends along the way and you will probly be in a large department that is sorrounded by other even larger departments. The experience gained here will usefull when better jobs and working inviroments come knocking and you will be capable to promote at other companies.

Cons

The city of san jose has ellected to solve there poor managing of tax payers funds by cutting all city employees pay and beniffits. The city will continue to take from its employees at any cost to provide for the political machine that is so self asorbed that the future of this city will be a down fall at all levels. Boast that it is the capital of every thing but will end up being the capital of highest taxes and lowest service in Ca. Just hope i can find a new job ASAP

Hope you know how to get work done when all that is left is the incompetent over strenght managment that provides only for them selfs

layoffs are hurting morale a lot

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

the benefits are great, but we have recently handed over a 10% salary and benefits reduction to aleviate budget issues. This has not been the case with public safety unions, who are giving over 4%.

Cons

layoffs tend to be from the bottom, not at all from the top. still many levels of useless management are left, while the people who actually do the work are the first to go. typical government stuff.

start laying off equally from the top, so the budget pain is shared.

City of San José Photos