City of San José

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.2

CEO

Pros
  • I would say good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to work, modern environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Is subject to budget cuts by the city which can jeopardize your employment (in 4 reviews)

• Working for Mayor Chuck Reed, raises are based on years of service, not performance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Started off well, then the budget mess hit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Good pay and great benefits, good location to work. People are generally highly educated and the workforce is diverse.

Cons

The upper management is not good. Logic free zone in decision making, No clue whatsoever about what middle managers actually need to do their jobs. Lots of talk, little action.

Get real.

Typical government? Not sure but there are definite flaws.

I worked at City of San José

Pros

Benefits and compensation are excellent. The new City Hall building is very clean and new - although the cost of the building probably was not justified. Some very dedicated and hard working people at the front lines and in some departments. Some management up to the Deputy level are good. It is a great place to work if you can avoid the worst managers (Directors) and probably stay below the Deputy level (where politics kick in).

Cons

Some examples of Director level staff are the worst I have worked for anywhere. I found examples where my best advice, for the good of the City, the Department and indeed the Executive was rejected in favor of a politically motivated decision - that wasted a lot of money. I found a complete hit or miss when it comes to management - some were outstanding and others were political animals with overblown egos and poor managment skills. That said while my experience was not ideal, I believe for many people it is a great place to work.

I believe the compensation is almost too good in that it motivates a certain amount of manuevering for the best paying job by the most aggressive or most connected, versus the most qualified, selfless and dedicated employees.

Focus on what is best for the City and the Public versus your own ego and ladder climbing objectives. Government servants should be dedicated to and motivated by a desire for public service. Many here are but some are too self absorbed. Have the courage to speak truth to power - Department Heads should listen to their staff, bring the best information and recommendations to the politicians, and do so judiciously and with Public service in mind.

work here if you only want a paycheck

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Pay, benefits and security of a Government job.

Cons

The attitude of employees and the feeling that they have a right to their job no matter what their job performance actually is. The adversarial relationship between employees and management.

Use performance based pay and benefits. Improve accountability in all levels of management including fiscal disclosure. Improve project management skills of supervisors and managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and challenging work...

Current Employee - Librarian I  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Librarian I in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Pay is good. Innovative library.

Cons

Poor communication and decision making by HR. Cronyism in promotion decision making.
    I saw very intelligent, accomplished individuals who comtributed to the library in a very innovative way passed over for promotion.

As for the library, focus on customer service is good (San Jose Way). The problem is that the resources, focus, and energy of management is directed to helping "the customer" with low level requests such as paying fines and answering easy directional questions and finding books on the shelf. They DO NOT encourage asking research questions and spending time with a customer as a more traditional Librarian would do. By taking the focus away from research and the librarian, they can stretch their personnel dollars by hiring fewer librarians.

Work on open communication. Facilitate different kinds of questions and interactions from customers in the branches.

Very organized agency and great to work there

Current Employee - Housing Manager  in  San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Housing Manager in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at City of San José full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work, modern environment

Cons

mandated retirement taken from payroll, funding cutbacks

Good place to start a career, no room for growth

I have been working at City of San José full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible Vacation time, 8-5 work day with little stress. Good place for a first job to obtain skills that can be used outside the city.

Cons

Working for Mayor Chuck Reed, raises are based on years of service, not performance.

If you want to keep quality workers, then pay them and try and fight for a merit salary increase.

I like my work at City of San Jose. If the City didn't have the budget issue, it would be the perfect place for me.

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Nice people to work with

Cons

Seniority bumping system: Last in, first out (LIFO) instead of performance based

Good place to work. Struggling financially

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

Serving the public. Smart people

Cons

Too much union control of elected officials

You are overreacting to the retirement problem

It was ok

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

There are some good people working there

Cons

no advancement and only through seniority so you don't get recognized for good work

City of San Jose

Current Employee - Associate Architect
    Current Employee - Associate Architect

I have been working at City of San José

Pros

The City of San Jose is a great pace to work for many reasons. In addition to the compensation and benefit package, the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

As a public entity and their strict compliance to seniority rules there are some valuable employees with less seniority that have lost their jobs recently while a small number of stagnat employees are still employed.

Share the pain of layoffs and salary reductions with your line staff. I do not believe that a fair share of executive management was reduced with the rest of the employees.

City of San José Photos

Council comendation

+ Add Photo

Worked for City of San José? Contribute to the Community!