City of Santa Monica California

CEO

Cadillac benefits, Hyundai brains

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Above average salaries, great benefits, almost no overtime, progressive city, great lunch option within walking distance, relatively stable.

Cons

After awhile everybody gets set in their ways and people work there with the hope of retiring. I always found that weird. Eventually people get complacent, lazy and aren't challenged because after you master your job there isn't much left. Also, the culture is to blame each other whenever something goes wrong.

Find ways to keep in interesting.

Really happy at Big Blue Bus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

I work at the Big Blue Bus. My manager is endlessly supportive of me and my colleagues. She cares very much about our service and is both innovative but also really practical about how we get our work done. I feel like I have grown leaps and bounds here. I have also been able to access the training and professional development I need and desire, and I feel that the compensation has enabled me to focus on my work here instead of fretting about how I'll pay bills or be able to continue working here after starting a family, as was the case at other places where I have worked. I feel that our director is also a very effective leader, and I'm thankful to be working for him (indirectly).

Cons

Morale, I sense, is mixed. It's high amongst newer admin staff arrivals and mixed amongst the operators and admin staff with longer tenure. We're working on it but I think there is considerable complexity associated with working in a place with a mix of blue-collar and white-collar workers. Certainly, once you have hit the full range for your position (5 years), you have limited earning increase potential - just your COLAs and bonuses (if they actually exist, I wouldn't know). I think being an operator here, especially a part-time operator, is extremely hard. You do not have a set schedule and they say you're part-time, but really, you could be waiting for a shift for up to 40, 60, 80 hours a week from what I understand. We also have really high expectations for our operators' safety records, but I sense that some feel that they are onerous and unfair.

This is also government work. 99% of my colleagues are wonderful and hardworking and reliable. You can't get rid of the bad seeds. This is costly in so many ways.

The offices were designed as 'creative office space', which is just awful. Simply awful. When renovating, please reconsider not giving us doors, not insulating the ceilings. Everything that Steelcase and the others try to tell you about creative office space promoting collaboration are lies. I just want an office with a door that closes so I can actual work done.

I loved it!

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

Great salary rates. Yoo Hoo!

Cons

None. I loved all aspects of my employment.

Work hard.

Extremely Satisfied working here

Current Contractor - CCS Leader in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Contractor - CCS Leader in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice staff and they are very good at customer service. We work very hard to make things better...

Cons

There aren't really except I wish I could become a permanent employee and except the cold since it is a beach town.

You guys are doing great!

Staff Assistant

Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

High Salary for type of work

Cons

A lot of unnecessary work, that could be done way more efficiently.

Great Water Resources Division!

Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people in the Water Resources Division are very efficient at what they do, friendly staff and will be willing to help you when you have questions. It's a great place to intern at and the small office makes it easier to connect with your coworkers.

Cons

Since it is a government system, it's hard to get a full time position there if you start out as an intern because the City can only hire you if a position become available.

Great learning experience, amazing location, and supportive management

Former Intern - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I really admired the work flow at the Big Blue Bus where everyone collaborated in a team effort to complete projects. My supervisors were very organized and tried really hard to ensure that I had a great experience and learned a lot of valuable skills. The internship program was great as well because there were some coordinated events for all interns to meet together and learn more about the opportunities available at the City of Santa Monica. The location was amazing! I would go for a jog along the beach after work or sometimes during my lunch. Overall, I learned so much in my eight weeks and really enjoyed my time there.

Cons

I did not enjoy sitting down for several hours so I would go on runs and exercise after work or during lunch. Perhaps encourage some type of break every 2-3 hours where you can walk outside for a bit and stretch.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance. great pay.

Cons

traffic to get to work, high cost of living.

Typical Government Gig - Great Benefits with No Mission

I worked at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

Just like any other government job including easy-going schedule, benefits, and acceptable pay. No pressure to perform, so no stress.

Cons

Just like any other government job (except maybe Federal) including lack of purpose/mission, slow-paced culture, not understanding why some things are done, no bonuses for staff, and lack of training.

This is Santa Monica - set it apart from other local governments in terms of work culture.

Great job security, and retirement.

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

9/80 work schedule, not micro-management. Great geographic location.

Cons

Under staffed due to the economy.