City of Santa Monica California

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
3.8

CEO

Great Water Resources Division!

Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people in the Water Resources Division are very efficient at what they do, friendly staff and will be willing to help you when you have questions. It's a great place to intern at and the small office makes it easier to connect with your coworkers.

Cons

Since it is a government system, it's hard to get a full time position there if you start out as an intern because the City can only hire you if a position become available.

Great learning experience, amazing location, and supportive management

Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really admired the work flow at the Big Blue Bus where everyone collaborated in a team effort to complete projects. My supervisors were very organized and tried really hard to ensure that I had a great experience and learned a lot of valuable skills. The internship program was great as well because there were some coordinated events for all interns to meet together and learn more about the opportunities available at the City of Santa Monica. The location was amazing! I would go for a jog along the beach after work or sometimes during my lunch. Overall, I learned so much in my eight weeks and really enjoyed my time there.

Cons

I did not enjoy sitting down for several hours so I would go on runs and exercise after work or during lunch. Perhaps encourage some type of break every 2-3 hours where you can walk outside for a bit and stretch.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance. great pay.

Cons

traffic to get to work, high cost of living.

Great job security, and retirement.

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

9/80 work schedule, not micro-management. Great geographic location.

Cons

Under staffed due to the economy.

Typical Government Gig - Great Benefits with No Mission

I worked at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

Just like any other government job including easy-going schedule, benefits, and acceptable pay. No pressure to perform, so no stress.

Cons

Just like any other government job (except maybe Federal) including lack of purpose/mission, slow-paced culture, not understanding why some things are done, no bonuses for staff, and lack of training.

This is Santa Monica - set it apart from other local governments in terms of work culture.

Well structured

Former Employee - Program Specialist
    Former Employee - Program Specialist

I worked at City of Santa Monica California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, and so far the best city I've worked for

Cons

They don't like to promote with in.

Great city, high level of services to the community

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Active, participatory residents and council. Historically a world-wide environmental leader. Great leadership, thoughtful planning and a strong sense of purpose have proven that government can both lead and be fiscally responsible. Excellent location and diverse culture.

Cons

City leadership is no longer interested in leading. Untalented, "yes men and women" are put in many key management positions and won't make decisions unless the path is already paved. Fear of making mistakes is greater than willingness to do what needs to be done, impeding progress on virtually every front. Stagnation has set in.

Take a risk. Make a decision. Have a vision and lead.

Administrative Intern

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California

Pros

Great people, fresh air, friendly environment, and everyone wants you to succeed.

Cons

No issues with working at the City.

What made working for the City of Santa a positive experience, were the wonderful employees I had the pleasure knowing.

Former Employee - Staff Assistant II As-Needed in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant II As-Needed in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of wonderful people work for the City of Santa Monica. Great pay and benefits if you are able to become a full-time employee.

Cons

Bureaucracy, bureaucracy, bureaucracy. If you are an innovative and creative person the environment can easily become stagnating. Change is slow to come by, if it ever even makes an appearance.

More communication with employees who work on the ground level. They are a great resource because they see what happens when policy is put into effect. Ask them questions about problems they perceive or have gleaned from customers, how processes can be improved, and an new ideas that can vastly improve existing programs. Troubleshooting should be a two-way street, so brainstorm together utilizing constructive dialogue.

Good people, but unorganized.

Current Employee - Web Developer/Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer/Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are nice, and fairly competent in the tech arena, considering that it's a government institution.

Cons

Unorganized -- things take a long while to get done because of communication issues. Probably due to downsizing and cutbacks, they have the staff there trying to do too many things at once.