City of Santa Monica California Reviews

Reset
3.8
CEO

anonymous

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We work on interesting and challenging projects, with great compensation. Almost all of our employees are great to work with and very professional.

Cons

It's almost impossible to get work done with administrative hurdles. We need to hire experts to design specific project, but the process takes months, going to council alone takes 6 weeks, and the reports are so standard, there's no way the full message gets from staff to council.

Advice to Management

Streamline the procedures and spend more time trying to understand the projects. Get to know and place faith in your staff, or train them so you can. The City constantly pays consultants to tell council what staff already knows.

Administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California part-time

Pros

Benefits- health insurance, life insurance, sick leave and vacation time.

Cons

Management, mandatory union membership/dues, pay

Advice to Management

Evaluate employees based on previous complaints, in order to weed out terrible managers who are ruining the city's effectiveness, finances, and employee moral. Don't allow petty managers to let effective, hard working, and friendly employees go because the person running the office is actually incompetent.

Good place to work if you can get in

I worked at City of Santa Monica California full-time

Pros

Salary is good, city is employee-friendly, people care about what they do and innovative

Cons

Nearly impossible to get a job. Seems like a waste of time trying. I applied for as-needed position in 2014. Didn't hear back until 2015 and they put me through a lot of hoops. While I was there, I applied for positions as they opened which was rare. You are essentially competing against 100-400 people for one job. Seriously. Their hiring practices are cockeyed. 1. Apply for job. 2. Wait 4 months until you hear back from them. 3. Take a test with 400 other applicants for one job. 4. If you score high enough, you take another exam against 100 applicants after waiting another 2 months. 5. Then you get on their eligibility list which is good for one year but they never use it because they continue to post jobs to the public. 6. Maybe 3 months later, you get a call from HR asking to do a panel interview. 7. If you pass that, then you have another panel interview. 8. Then another panel interview. 9. Then you either get an offer or you've wasted almost an entire year. Also, they post positions and they never fill them.

Advice to Management

Use your damn eligibility lists instead of reposting a job opening. Stop wasting people's time by having them go through time consuming hoops to get on the lists if you are not going to use them.

Cadillac benefits, Hyundai brains

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above average salaries, great benefits, almost no overtime, progressive city, great lunch option within walking distance, relatively stable.

Cons

After awhile everybody gets set in their ways and people work there with the hope of retiring. I always found that weird. Eventually people get complacent, lazy and aren't challenged because after you master your job there isn't much left. Also, the culture is to blame each other whenever something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep in interesting.

Really happy at Big Blue Bus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

I work at the Big Blue Bus. My manager is endlessly supportive of me and my colleagues. She cares very much about our service and is both innovative but also really practical about how we get our work done. I feel like I have grown leaps and bounds here. I have also been able to access the training and professional development I need and desire, and I feel that the compensation has enabled me to focus on my work here instead of fretting about how I'll pay bills or be able to continue working here after starting a family, as was the case at other places where I have worked. I feel that our director is also a very effective leader, and I'm thankful to be working for him (indirectly).

Cons

Morale, I sense, is mixed. It's high amongst newer admin staff arrivals and mixed amongst the operators and admin staff with longer tenure. We're working on it but I think there is considerable complexity associated with working in a place with a mix of blue-collar and white-collar workers. Certainly, once you have hit the full range for your position (5 years), you have limited earning increase potential - just your COLAs and bonuses (if they actually exist, I wouldn't know). I think being an operator here, especially a part-time operator, is extremely hard. You do not have a set schedule and they say you're part-time, but really, you could be waiting for a shift for up to 40, 60, 80 hours a week from what I understand. We also have really high expectations for our operators' safety records, but I sense that some feel that they are onerous and unfair. This is also government work. 99% of my colleagues are wonderful and hardworking and reliable. You can't get rid of the bad seeds. This is costly in so many ways.

Advice to Management

The offices were designed as 'creative office space', which is just awful. Simply awful. When renovating, please reconsider not giving us doors, not insulating the ceilings. Everything that Steelcase and the others try to tell you about creative office space promoting collaboration are lies. I just want an office with a door that closes so I can actual work done.

I loved it!

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great salary rates. Yoo Hoo!

Cons

None. I loved all aspects of my employment.

Advice to Management

Work hard.

8. Staff Assistant

Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

High Salary for type of work

Cons

A lot of unnecessary work, that could be done way more efficiently.

9. Great Water Resources Division!

Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at City of Santa Monica California part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people in the Water Resources Division are very efficient at what they do, friendly staff and will be willing to help you when you have questions. It's a great place to intern at and the small office makes it easier to connect with your coworkers.

Cons

Since it is a government system, it's hard to get a full time position there if you start out as an intern because the City can only hire you if a position become available.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at City of Santa Monica California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance. great pay.

Cons

traffic to get to work, high cost of living.

11. Great job security, and retirement.

Pros

9/80 work schedule, not micro-management. Great geographic location.

Cons

Under staffed due to the economy.

RSS Feed </> Embed