City of Scottsdale

Add Photos

City of Scottsdale City Manager Dan Worth

Dan Worth

great

Prosfun, great people easy work

Consbad pay, not alot of hours

Stagnant Orgainzation

Bid and Contract Specialist (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsStable environment now and moving forward

ConsLimited growth or compensation for the future

State of the city was much better when I started working in the 90's than it is right now.

Police (Former Employee)

Pros*Awesome co-workers. Supervisors for the most part are good.
    *good benefits
    *the citizens respect their employees.

Cons*A majority of the city council does not support the police department.
    *pay for officers is low compared to other cities.
    *low morale
    *the mayor could care less.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe city council claims that law enforcement is the #1 priority, but does not show it. The city needs to prioritize law enforcement and fire services or the City of Scottsdale won't be a world class destination.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFormer supervisor was very fair and always supported growth.

ConsChange in management was the demise of the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the outer shell of certain employees to really see the talent that lies within.

Court Service Representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance, supportive management team and overall positive work environment.

ConsNot many opportunities for promotions during my years of employment.

Ehh ok for part-time

Manager (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsHours are flexible and benefits are good

ConsBureaucratic management and mundane tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some of yourselves, wasting time and money

It was good in the early 2000s. Now? Questionable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsMost Scottsdale employees were positive, helpful people, both with their other coworkers and the citizens/customers. Benefits were comparable to those offered in most other municipalities in the area. Management didn't just sit back and react to things, but tried to implement programs to improve city services and recognized employees for their contributions. We usually had the material resources we needed to do our jobs. Environment was family-friendly, and in my work group, management was very understanding to those with kids.

ConsServing an affluent citizenry that often expects more from you while giving you less than what another city would. After political changes in the years before I left, the city council became less supportive of employees, and begrudged the benefits employees did get, although they weren't that different from any other municipality (and in a some cases, not as good). The culture shifted negatively with the sour economy and the anti-employee city council. There seemed to be a more favorable attitude for long-time employees who lived in Scottsdale than those who lived elsewhere (usually because they couldn't afford to live in Scottsdale). Also, management was more supportive of employees who were married and with kids, looking out for their careers more and assigning them better job tasks and projects. I saw unmarried and/or childless employees get shifted to doing the grunt work, ignored for special projects, and having to struggle to get a promotion they were qualified for -- and most of these hard-working, talented people left Scottsdale for better career opportunities elsewhere because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving grease to the squeaky wheels who bring down the team. Take a closer look at which employees are actually working hard and supporting the team -- and support those employees. Weed out the nepotism and favoritism in the outside-of-work environment (like a subordinate hiring a manager's family member for services, or employees babysitting their supervisor's kids). Get rid of crazy rules and policies that hinder promotion or favor promoting less-qualified short-timers over longer term, more qualified employees.

Elected officials and City Manager ruining a potentially great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate employees, great benefits, most departments offer a flexible work schedule option

ConsHigh turnover, little direction from managers, nonexistent HR department, elected officials constantly bickering, petty politics

Overall satisfying place to work at

ProsGreat Benefits.
    Friendly co workers.
    Respectful community.
    Steady job

ConsToo much bureaucracy
    Upper management tends to change a lot in department not knowing what goes on around it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet managers manage their department if everything is going fine there. Don't make changes if it doesn't benefits the employee or community.

Departmental Management, good. Elected leaders, awful.

ProsPride in giving back to community.
    Decent benefits

ConsPoor leadership affects the employees on all levels. No trust or respect of employees by elected leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartmental managers need to speak up for their employees to elected leaders.

Worked for City of Scottsdale? Contribute to the Community!