City of Seattle

City of Seattle Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

City of Seattle Mayor Ed Murray

Ed Murray

Pros
  • good working environment, great benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, great benefits, and wonderful people to work with(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No incentive to be self motivated(in 3 reviews)

• Lots of bureaucracy and politics in decisoin-making(in 2 reviews)

Big Pay for Little Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best reason to work here is that it's almost impossible to get fired, because the union and civil service protect the vast majority of workers.

ConsThe unions own the politicians, the politicians know nothing of running an organization, and no one cares about how much is wasted, stolen, or simply mismanaged. It's a corrupt system where mediocre is excellent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI sympathize with leaders in the big departments who are trying to be more efficient, but are stymied by the unions and politicians.

Great place to work for a turtle...

ProsIt all depends on the department and team you are working on. The team I work on is like minded and in the know for web usability and design. It is a fun working environment and I enjoy what I am doing. It is a very relaxed work environment and in the heart of seattle.

ConsLike many large companies, Seattle Public Utilities moves very slowly and it takes a while to get projects moving / completed.

Great work/life balance.

ProsGreat work/life balance.Great work/life balance.Great work/life balance.Great work/life balance.Great work/life balance.

ConsThere are no challenges to working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GIS Undergraduate Intern

Pros-Monthly meetings to see what projects are going on
    -Christmas Parties
    -Nice work station
    -Good and prompt customer service via tickets
    -Free ORCA pass for transportation
    -Carpool opportunities

Cons-Can work 18 months or until graduation, whatever comes first

Advice to Senior Management-Continue doing what you are doing
    -Thanks for supporting interns by providing good advice and mentorship

Stable

Financial Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDefinitely a stable job with great pay. Would have stayed much longer if not for other life factors.
    The culture is more conservative, with less room for innovation.
    Because it is large, there was a lot of paperwork involved and different procedures to follow.

ConsTechnology can be old. Was using a very old copy of Windows and not as fast paced as I would have liked.
    The rigid structure could be suffocating but that is expected in any organization this large.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat.

Overall Good Place TO Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood working environment, great benefits.

ConsHard to move up, employee needs to look at succession planning.

Great place for diversity and a secure future

Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking for the City of Seattle can provide you with a very good salary and a good retirement if you can manage to bypass the frequent budget cuts. I found that there is a great mix of people from so many backgrounds and often, very friendly office environments. And if you have the right manager, you will be able to work on projects outside your title and class and may be moved along for promotions.

ConsYou really need a manager you are in sync with to move upward in the City. If you don't have this, it can be difficult to move ahead or out of a specific title.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside of the box and cross train employees so that they have more opportunities to move ahead.

A great place to work if you want to make a difference in our city

ProsWhen I do a good job, it helps everyone in the city. That makes me feel good. I've worked in jobs in the past where I felt like the sole purpose of my job was to was help someone else get rich. I like knowing I'm making a difference in people's lives. My coworkers feel the same. They're dedicated and passionate about helping.

ConsSometimes we get criticized by the public (serious haters) and that doesn't feel good. The city is absolutely cost-conscious. Often that means we don't get the best tools or software. We never have enough staff. It's hard to get the work done with so few people - and yet we're not expected or even permitted to work overtime. That can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring expensive consultants to tell you if your staff is doing a good job. Why not find out what they do? Ask them to explain their work. They'll be happy to share and you'll be happy to save lots of money.

Public Information Officier

Communications Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood benefits, 8 to 5 hours

ConsLess than competitive pay. Reluctance to remove non performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation tied to performance

Very passionate and diverse Human Services Department

Counselor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat place to work with lots of passionate and dedicated people. A place that really reflects the diverse populations in Seattle. Lots of units and divisions to handle the social services of Seattle.

ConsNot a strong place to grow from a position.

Worked for City of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!