City of Seattle

Updated February 11, 2015
3.4

City of Seattle Mayor Ed Murray
Ed Murray

Pros
  • One of the best parts of the job is the great work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• good working environment, great benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • For someone coming to work for the City of Seattle after working in the private sector, it can be a big change (in 4 reviews)

• No incentive to be self motivated (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

65 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Interesting

Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Pay is average, Diverse workforce

Cons

Government logjam, a little to politically correct

Trust your employees/citizens

Not enough work to do.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

Lot of free time on a daily basis

Cons

Not enough work to do.

Make sure every employee has enough work to do.

Great company to work for

Current Intern - Environmental Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Environmental Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Seattle Public Utilities staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, always there to give advice or support to an intern.

Pay is very good compared to other entry level jobs, and the schedule is flexible to fit in with your class schedule.

Cons

The only downside is that, as a public employee, there are far more rules and restrictions regarding interacting with the public than in a private firm.

Choose wisely.

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

What I enjoyed most about working for the city was the opportunity to apply my professional expertise to a non-profit civic organization. As a former private sector executive, I hope to bring invaluable industry leading technical knowledge not generally possessed in the public sector because of the compensation limitations available in governmental sectors. I enjoyed working with other talented professionals who also made financial sacrifices to fulfill civic duties.

Cons

An enormous majority of the workforce has no interest in working smarter,improving service to citizens, nor using taxpayer's money most effectively. Workers fight innovation, automation, improvements, or just change in general. Many city departments still utilize paper processes for work that can and and has been automated in nearly all private sector workplaces. The paperwaste alone is a huge expense tho taxpayer's.

The other frustrating thing was that many didn't under stand why they did things...just that that is the way they did it. Defending processes that were obsolete, unnecessary, or simply made little sense was an everyday occurrence.

Embrace change. Ask why more often. Stop wasting taxpayer's money. We don't need more taxation we need an effective workforce.

Easy, stable employment, but boring. I highly recommend an internship, but I don't know if I want to go permanent.

Current Intern - Project Management Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Project Management Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent intern education. Very organized summer intern program. Looks like there are a lot of opportunities for advancement in the near future with half the city talking about retiring in the next five years. Good work life balance, great benefits and fair pay.

Cons

Very little motivation to work hard. Lots of bureaucracy. You can't put in a lightbulb without talking to all the different parties that have a vested interest in that light bulb. (exaggeration) The simple fact is that not everybody has to work hard to keep the lights on, and as long as they stay on, the city's doing its job. This can result in a lack of satisfying work, especially at the intern or assistant engineer level.

Keep up with the passing-on-the-bataan program. It looks like you'll need new talent pretty soon.

The work environment really depends on who the Mayor is.

Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Strategic Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on meaningful and cutting edge issues and projects. It's easy to get involved and your efforts are appreciated for the most part.

Cons

Very political. If the Mayor's office does not support you, your work will be marginalized and you may be removed or exiled. The City Council can also be a challenge to work with. Trying to please nine different elected officials is next to impossible and they tend to want to micromanage many Department projects and initiatives particularly in the area of transportation.

A great place to work and learn.

Former Contractor - Tes in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Tes in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Surrounded by wonderful people who emphasize team work

Cons

-Pay would be better in private sector (duh.)

Great place to work. Best suited for people who want stability & a decent standard of living at the expense of mobility

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Location, Nature of the work itself, very dynamic and progressive environment.

Cons

Alert! Golden handcuff syndrome, few advancement opportunities, typical office politics, too many cliques, longevity can work against you, newer employers actually advance quicker. Every time the economy catches a cold, people fear for their jobs.

Consider implementing real mentorship programs and opportunities for advancement, not just for favored employees, but for anyone who wants to advance.

A great place to learn a lot and have fun!

Former Intern - Seattle Public Utilities in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Seattle Public Utilities in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- Boss and coworkers took the time to learn about my interests and invited me to participate in meetings/projects/trainings that aligned with these interests.
    - Great coworkers (all very passionate about their jobs).
    - Boss totally understood that school came first, could create my own hours (very flexible).
    - My input was valued.
    - By end of internship I was able to create/lead projects.

Cons

- City is trying to do a lot with little funding.
    - Tensions were high at times when talking about budget cuts.

Great Work as a Finance Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office was on the 30th floor in premium office space in downtown Seattle. Hours were 8:30am - 5pm. Rarely worked overtime and never worked weekends once in two years. Smart staff, easy workload, and terrific pay and benefits. Nearly perfect job security, almost as secure as academic tenure at a university.

Cons

Municipal government work can be quite boring at times. The bureaucracy and slow pace can be frustrating at times. Many employees were unfriendly, and it was very difficult to fire poorly performing workers. The work schedule was inflexible -- you had to be at your desk 8:30am - 5pm every day, regardless of whether there was work to do or not. No working from home.

I worked under very good managers while there, who helped me develop professionally and gave me all the resources I needed to succeed at my job. My only advice would be to try to promote and keep smart young people on staff, and try to clear out as many unproductive and unprofessional workers as you can.

City of Seattle Photos

Traffic Crew working for you!
City employees hard at work!
Keeping our trails beautiful!

+ Add Photo