City of Toronto

Be The First To
Add Photos

City of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Rob Ford

Pros
  • Multi-culture, equal-right, equal-opportunities, work/life balance is good (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and good work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around within the organization (in 3 reviews)

• moving up is horrible and no career advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job for University Students

Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat shift's, most managers are excellent, great job that teaches leadership skills, and an engaging work environment

ConsSometimes had to deal with negative patrons, however nothing out of the ordinary

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure employees are engaged during training's

A pleasant organization to work for.

Pros- Friendly staff, good pay, minimal supervision
    - A sense of internal satisfaction serving the public, knowing you work under the government.
    - Work and life balance are achieved.

Cons- Takes a very long process for any request/approvals to go through
    - Takes a long time to observe change

Advice to Senior ManagementI be appreciated if upper management takes the time to check up on us as employees at least once every week. Also, keep being updated with every employee.

The I&T Division at the City of Toronto stands out for being extra dysfunctional in a dysfunctional city

ProsThe new CIO has great people skills and wants to fix things. People in the I&T Division at the City are very passionate. Work/live balance is good. Benefits are good.

ConsDeveloper/technical positions are unionized, so promotions are based on seniority not merit. If you're a technical person, you can see why this makes no sense.

There is no career planning or succession planning or development opportunities. Hope to work for a boss who is about to retire because that's the only way to get ahead. The CIO has been brought in to "fix" the Division so all the big hires are now external. This is good in a way because existing management is all project managers, not people managers, but bad if you're not existing management but want to be.

Because it's government, there is no performance management. You do a good job or a bad job, it doesn't really matter. Senior management does not take performance management seriously at all - the "big" bonuses are based on political discussions.

There is a disconnect between senior management and front line staff. Directors never talk to anyone but managers and no one wants to hear the truth, everything needs to be massaged to make sure that I&T looks good.

The I&T Division seems incapable of completing a large IT project on time and on budget (despite being filled with project managers). The bureaucracy and in-fighting is stifling. But no one takes responsibility - there is always someone else to blame.

You don't get to be on the cutting edge - big government is never leading the way on things. Lots of supporting stuff, not a lot of building cool new stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurge the management ranks. Identify your top talent, but don't trust existing management to identify it because they wouldn't recognize it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to wrok

ProsGood benefits and good work environment

ConsMay take some time to move up within departments

Great place

Pros- little supervision, free to work at own pace

Cons- down periods get boring

Great Seasonal Job

Handy Worker (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits, decent pay, annual renewal of job

Conslack of professionalism from some staff and management

great place to learn and get experience with kids

Camp Coordinator (Current Employee) Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Prosyou can choose who you would like to work with. People are friendly and helpful.

Conshourly pay to low, have to travel to a new place every 2 weeks

Good summer job for students!

ProsGreat work environment, really laid back, good opportunities and stepping stone for students

ConsHard to get a permanent job after the summer contract is over!

Excellent place to work, flexible and accomodating.

Senior Financial Planning Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery good manager, looks for results and doesn't micromanage.Great project to work on. Its has a very good work life balance and with the amount of vacation available and opportunity to bank for extra hours worked is a huge bonus.

ConsChange is very hard to get through. Takes a long process for approvals. Training approvals and offering to learn new things takes a while so mostly is out of pocket expenses with limited incentive from HR and Division Budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementApprovals and training approvals should be done quickly

Regardless of job description, mostly PR

Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA multicultural, diverse workforce
    An accepting and open minded community
    Can be a fun place to work and be professional when needed

ConsI can't think of many, it's a good place for work and benefits
    If you want to move up, that could be difficult since advancement is measured by hours spent with the city

Worked for City of Toronto? Contribute to the Community!