CityGrid Media

www.citygridmedia.com

CityGrid Media Reviews

Updated May 19, 2014
CityGrid Media – West Hollywood – “The Penthouse Common Area”

Ron LaPierre

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - most of the company shows up around 9:30, leaves by 4:30 or 5(in 7 reviews)

• good benefits and bagel on Friday(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Future is very uncertain, few rounds of layoffs and upper management needs to have a better vision(in 4 reviews)

• I worked out of the office for a year and then worked from home before all of the office was let go(in 3 reviews)

Great properties

Campaign Manager (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsOwns great web sites and apps. HQ in nice location.

ConsTechnology needs to get updated. Had layoffs in October 2012 that disorganized a bit.

Highs & Lows

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsPay was great...worked for an amazing manager...SOME of the employees actually cared about clients the success of their campaigns

ConsUpper management didn't seem to care about keeping the product relevant, their site are pretty much pre-historic, very little value to customers,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics if that's possible....At one time CityGrid/Citysearch was where you went to gather local info...That's no longer the case

No job is perfect...this one is close.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsGreat people, good culture. I agree there are some politics that get played, but overall I have learned a lot professionaly, and gained a ton of valuable experience. If you know how to pick your battles, and make friends, you can do very well here. Pay is very fair in my opinion (some places may be higher, but then the culture might not be as fun.) The building is cool, and if you prove yourself valuable, they can be very flexible with you. I love working here.

ConsThere has been a merry-go-round of doing the right thing and taking care of our customers (and our salespeople) and then suddenly a focus on high profits over all else. Then of course morale (and sales) plummet as we see cancelation rates rise. And then we go back to doing the right thing again...until the cycle resets. We need to find a fair middle ground and not keep getting greedy. There is cause and effect here, people!!! Basically---we alternate between being a fabulous place to work, and a terrible one. Stick around long enough and you'll see it averages out. though it has the POTENTIAL to be great....hence why i'm still here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at historical performance of the product before you go adjusting things... New managment comes in and doesnt seem to have learned anything from the past mistakes of others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a zoo

Account Executive (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

Prosfun environment and pay is not bad

Consthe product needs major improvement

Advice to Senior Managementto manage

Overall, a positive experience on the people not the products

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsThere is a turnaround vibe right now so there is more energy now than in the past few years. The company is committed to tying together its mission and value proposition for the first time. Feedback and suggestions are encouraged.

ConsThe products aren't competitive. Fwiw, I do think that most of the scathing reviews were written by terminated employees as things have been steadily improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think the idea of an ad network is differentiated enough to drive the company turnaround. I think we need to repurpose some of our engineers and build new transactional products like some of our competitors but I don't know if our people have that DNA.

Sales Professionals Beware...

Inside Sales (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsSolid base salary + commission, Bagel + Yogurt Fridays, Nice Facilities, Youthful Spirit

ConsThe CityGrid product simply doesn't work enough to feel good about selling the product. The high level of churn and vitriol from my clients made it impossible to continue being a face of the brand. If morals and integrity aren't high on your list of values, this is a place you can make a lot of money. Additionally, the location of the firm is in the heart of West Hollywood so anticipate lots of traffic if you aren't a local.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the product to add value and rebrand it. CityGrid and Citysearch are irrelevant to consumers and toxic for an Account Executive trying to sell to a growingly online-savvy community of small business owners.

Good Perks but company has been on a steady decline

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsGood perks including pay and benefits

Consawful managment and executive team - no direction -no leadership - awful product

Advice to Senior Managementfind new jobs

Great Place to work!

Campaign Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI had a fantastic experience working here. Management was great & they were always willing to offer additional training & were very open to employee suggestions and feedback.

ConsSome of the internal systems go down periodically, but that happens at all companies. Other than that, there really aren't cons to working here.

Company on decline. Run away!

Product Director (Former Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsNo accountability, so you can coast without doing any real work or show any real results.
    Great work/life balance - most of the company shows up around 9:30, leaves by 4:30 or 5. (after a nice long lunch)
    Casual dress code

ConsExecutive Management is incompetent and LIES to employees.
    Company is not profitable.
    Products don't work.
    Same people are promoted year after year.
    No cost of living raises.
    Layoffs every 6 months to a year.
    All of the products are dying, including the owned-and-operated sites.
    HR lies to potential candidates to get them to accept the job and get in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean slate. Get rid of exec and middle management, and start from scratch.
    Learn to have accountability, and get rid of employees who don't perform. There are plenty.
    Have realistic short term goals.
    Pay people better.

Not so great work environment

Software Automation Engineer (Former Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsSome of the good engineers who are willing to share their knowledge
    Competitive salary
    Hands on managers
    Bagels on Fridays (I can't believe I have to include that in Pros.... well, have no choice...am out of options )

ConsNot at all fun place to work
    Boring domain
    Top tier management is worst I have ever seen (specially after non sense lay offs)
    Worst traffic (office location is far from any freeway in LA)
    Parking allocated to employees is anything but convenient

Advice to Senior ManagementLaying off employees is sometimes necessary; but picking up arbitrary people like it's some kind of lottery is highly unprofessional
    Innovate
    Respect your Engineers and treat them well. That's the only way this company can stand the competition

Worked for CityGrid Media? Contribute to the Community!