CityGrid Media

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Ron LaPierre

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - most of the company shows up around 9:30, leaves by 4:30 or 5 (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits and bagel on Friday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Future is very uncertain, few rounds of layoffs and upper management needs to have a better vision (in 4 reviews)

• I worked out of the office for a year and then worked from home before all of the office was let go (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ship is Sunk

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great life and work balance. Good compensation (5-10% more than average in SoCal).

Cons

Business has no vision. Engineering is a big mess. No one know what should be focusing on. The building looks beautiful outside but lacking of meeting rooms. It shouldn't be used for business. Also, very bad location for commuters.

Over 70% of people had laid off including managers and leads. Keeping only the junior developers is ONE big mistake. Bad for the junior folks (no mentoring) and bad for the business (how to support the failing production system?).

Advice to the new CEO/COO. Please restructure engineering (although may be nothing left to restructure)

Focus on providing a product that works and get your advertisers back on board.

Current Employee - Account Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training, Good health insurance. Decent surroundings.

Cons

Too much micro-management and not enough VP support.

Get a product that works and stick with it.

No job is perfect...this one is close.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good culture. I agree there are some politics that get played, but overall I have learned a lot professionaly, and gained a ton of valuable experience. If you know how to pick your battles, and make friends, you can do very well here. Pay is very fair in my opinion (some places may be higher, but then the culture might not be as fun.) The building is cool, and if you prove yourself valuable, they can be very flexible with you. I love working here.

Cons

There has been a merry-go-round of doing the right thing and taking care of our customers (and our salespeople) and then suddenly a focus on high profits over all else. Then of course morale (and sales) plummet as we see cancelation rates rise. And then we go back to doing the right thing again...until the cycle resets. We need to find a fair middle ground and not keep getting greedy. There is cause and effect here, people!!! Basically---we alternate between being a fabulous place to work, and a terrible one. Stick around long enough and you'll see it averages out. though it has the POTENTIAL to be great....hence why i'm still here.

Look at historical performance of the product before you go adjusting things... New managment comes in and doesnt seem to have learned anything from the past mistakes of others.

Great properties

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Owns great web sites and apps. HQ in nice location.

Cons

Technology needs to get updated. Had layoffs in October 2012 that disorganized a bit.

Highs & Lows

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was great...worked for an amazing manager...SOME of the employees actually cared about clients the success of their campaigns

Cons

Upper management didn't seem to care about keeping the product relevant, their site are pretty much pre-historic, very little value to customers,

Get back to the basics if that's possible....At one time CityGrid/Citysearch was where you went to gather local info...That's no longer the case

a zoo

Current Employee - Account Executive in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun environment and pay is not bad

Cons

the product needs major improvement

to manage

Overall, a positive experience on the people not the products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a turnaround vibe right now so there is more energy now than in the past few years. The company is committed to tying together its mission and value proposition for the first time. Feedback and suggestions are encouraged.

Cons

The products aren't competitive. Fwiw, I do think that most of the scathing reviews were written by terminated employees as things have been steadily improving.

I don't think the idea of an ad network is differentiated enough to drive the company turnaround. I think we need to repurpose some of our engineers and build new transactional products like some of our competitors but I don't know if our people have that DNA.

Sales Professionals Beware...

Current Employee - Inside Sales in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid base salary + commission, Bagel + Yogurt Fridays, Nice Facilities, Youthful Spirit

Cons

The CityGrid product simply doesn't work enough to feel good about selling the product. The high level of churn and vitriol from my clients made it impossible to continue being a face of the brand. If morals and integrity aren't high on your list of values, this is a place you can make a lot of money. Additionally, the location of the firm is in the heart of West Hollywood so anticipate lots of traffic if you aren't a local.

Overhaul the product to add value and rebrand it. CityGrid and Citysearch are irrelevant to consumers and toxic for an Account Executive trying to sell to a growingly online-savvy community of small business owners.

Great Place to work!

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a fantastic experience working here. Management was great & they were always willing to offer additional training & were very open to employee suggestions and feedback.

Cons

Some of the internal systems go down periodically, but that happens at all companies. Other than that, there really aren't cons to working here.

Good Perks but company has been on a steady decline

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good perks including pay and benefits

Cons

awful managment and executive team - no direction -no leadership - awful product

find new jobs