CivicActions Reviews

3.7

Henry Poole

Great triple bottom line company

Current Employee - Director  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at CivicActions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I learn about myself every day.
    Daily and across the board commitment to excellence in communications and quality.
    I love the clients and have never worked on a project that I didn't have full faith in.
    Commitment to free and open source works has meant that all of my creative activities will be always be available for everyone.
    The flexibility to work from home has given me an opportunity to see my children grow up.
    Daily checkins on everyones individual 'balance' has been a great opportunity to see where I can improve my own experience in life, the work that I do, and learn about what is happening with other people that I work with.

Cons

The work has not always been consistent.
    The compensation is average.
    Little growth in total size of the team over the last 3 years.

Continue to drive agility into the management process.
    Provide your services to companies outside of the non profit sector.

Great place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Project Manager/Director of Operations  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Director of Operations in Oakland, CA

I worked at CivicActions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and the technology are the best reasons to work at CivicActions. They have a very unique approach with clients, talented people, and work with the awesome Drupal CMS. When I started I was brand new to Drupal (I had never even heard of it), and over the years grew to know more, contribute to the Drupal community in my own (non-coding) ways, and to grow my tech resume working with some amazing clients moving to open source software.

Cons

While work is stable for employees, and it can take some time to achieve that role, contractors can experience some ebb and flow of work over time. There is flex to work with outside clients as a contractor, so if you are looking for something that can work with other projects you want to work on, it can work really well.

Focus on accountability, and retain the culture that started it all.

Progressive clients doesn't mean progressive working conditions

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at CivicActions

Pros

Co-workers were great, interesting projects. Remote working with flexible hours, hourly wage, Drupal is a great platform, infrastructure was decent.

Cons

Pay less than equivalent companies due to 'progressive' clients (replace 'progressive' with 'small budgets and unrealistic expectations'), lots of invitations to attend unpaid meetings and do other non-remunerated work, tends towards underwork and overwork - rarely steady hours you can rely on, I didn't work on any while I was there but beware of fixed-rate projects.

Rates of pay need to go up fast, or more people are going to leave. Knowing you are only there while the next job lasts makes it very easy to look elsewhere too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if you care about the clients enough to overlook the organizational problems

I worked at CivicActions

Pros

Great people
    Most of them are really bright
    Clients are all interesting
    Sometimes, the results can be humbling
    Work from home

Cons

Bad senior management and cronyism
    Inefficient company means lower than average pay
    low stability
    No proactive training or career dev

Cut ties with unproductive people. Hold *everyone* accountable, but also build the capacities of people. Follow through on initiatives. Pay people a better rate.

Worked for CivicActions? Contribute to the Community!