Civica Reviews

Simon Richard Downing

1. Brilliant Engineers

Former Employee - Software Developer in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Civica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here. HR was fun to visit and managers are not afraid to dive into the code.

Cons

inter-personal relationships with among certain employees were strained due to differences in perspective.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Civica

Pros

Great positive people who have pasion

Cons

poor management, capital venture returns drives business decisions

Advice to Management

move forward and look to the future, reinvest in your product

Avoid Australian LG operations....going down!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Newcastle (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Newcastle (Australia)

I worked at Civica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Patient Customers, but for how much longer? The few staff that remain that are either loyal or desperate (Over 30 redundancies recently) Large Customer base Any positive reviews on this site would have to be fabricated/false

Cons

Dated technology, its the last vendor in market to modernise or make contemporary its kit New International Management structure, no idea, massive cost overhead that offers nothing Many emerging and new competitors High staff turnover (one very expensive and very senior appointment lasted only 6 weeks) Cultural basket case

Advice to Management

Stop the firing, invest in more people (not the fluffy HR stuff), invest in upgrading/updating technology. might be too late as the horse may have bolted.

5. An employee for nine years, no real regrets.

I worked at Civica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

With Civica from the start and witnessed its progressive growth. Management training was good and you were not restricted to the position you had when joining the company - your progression is in your own hands if you are ambitious. The 'Raising the Bar' training programmes were looked upon as particularly beneficial by those attending

Cons

None for me, although some individuals had a problem with working within a large organisation and would bemoan the fact there was little interaction with management.

Advice to Management

Management at the top was pretty good and approachable. Full marks to CEO Simon Downing.

6. Progressive company

I worked at Civica (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, nice & friendly people, one can grow and learn as much as you want if you wish to.

Cons

Average pay scale compared to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Please Invest more in training.

dont do it end of

I have been working at Civica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pros is you have a couple of years before they run your company into the ground if they take you over that will allow you to find another job. The senior management like to write their own reviews on this web site that as they don’t like bad press. Also if you underperform due to lack of support and guidance they will put you in a performance review process and should you fail that they will them pay you to leave! Partly because you could usually take them down the constructive dismissal route and win

Cons

no progression pathway despite a whole load of talk about it. the senior management are pathetic and live in a dream world with no training being provided no guidance (because they take over businesses they don’t understand and don’t understand the market place) If you have ever seen the film independence day then Civica are like the aliens consuming all natural recourses of the company’s they take over before discarding them.

Advice to Management

Retire and let somebody who knows what they are doing fix the broken business units before its too late.

Excellent employer, great culture and people!

I worked at Civica part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity to develop yourself should you choose too. The leadership programme Raising the Bar helped to develop key skills and behaviours. The Investors in People gold award was more than a badge, I saw lots of continuous improvement around the business and lots of good stuff on communication. The CEO Simon is an inspirational leader and it's one of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

It's always a challenge when a business grows to keep the culture of a small organisation and I know Civica works really hard to ensure this continues.

Advice to Management

To continue to work on retaining the great parts of the business i.e. training and development and listening/supporting employees as the business grows.

9. Good Company to work for!

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civica

Pros

Sociable company. Good Benefits for employees.

Cons

No progression for employees when there.

Potential that is spoiled by managements lack of 2 way communication and seeming indifference for customers requests.

Former Employee - ICT Technician in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ICT Technician in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People on your level are generally in the same boat so there is a camaraderie and a general attitude of us vs them.

Cons

Management, full of promises and hot air unfortunately. Despite being an Investor in people in the almost 5 years I was there I had one certified training course made available after 4 years of me pushing them.

Advice to Management

Actually Train all your staff, not just the senior leadership. Listen to your customers when they request something, then spend more time working out how to give it to them and less time working out ways you don't have to give them it. Recognise value from within your organisation and foster it, don't leave people to rot and cause dissension and apathy.

11. OK company

I have been working at Civica

Pros

Good people, nice office in the city

Cons

Management are not so good

RSS Feed </> Embed