Civil Service United Kingdom

Add Photos

Civil Service United Kingdom Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood

Sir Jeremy Heywood

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Interesting and challenging work with responsibility, in flexible conditions

Statistician (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood balance of interesting, varied work. Sensible working conditions. Recognition of skills over grade always staff to use own initiative.

Nice atmosphere at the office, with plenty of down to earth support.

ConsBad organisation and a lot of inconsistencies and changes make delivering on long term projects difficult. More time spent talking than doing. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the work done is good or otherwise. Not enough evidence used.

Some people do not do enough, some do too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak more often, outside of big meetings, to junior members of staff working on the details of projects if you want to understand the problems.

Works well for employees, but not necessarily for the state

CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits for individuals, plenty of promotion opportunities. Work-life balance is also good in most teams, although there is a working culture which is counterproductive to this in the areas seen to be 'high achieving'.

ConsToo many people moving sideways or upwards all the time. Particularly at a higher level within the organisations. Values of teams are not always aligned with best practice for evidence based policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire minimum terms for senior civil servants in each position to allow continuity

Okay, but the Old Boy's Club Stereotype still relevant as ever.

Project Support Officer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe canteen is rather good, and the job is as secure as you can get.

ConsUnfortunately, in my part of the Civil Service, the perks of being a permanent member of staff is being eroded by the Culture of the Contractor, who are on vastly inflated rates, thinking that because they have fixed hours, and are not permitted home working, or any other benefits which permits an inclusive working environment, then neither should anyone else. The number of contractors on one of our sites, where a lot of jobs are being relocated to cut costs, negates and wipes out any saving made. There are "permanent contractors" who are obsessed with making themselves indispensable by refusing to share or train people... ironically, in some cases that was the sole purpose of their appointment. I am constantly undermined by my line manager, who uses my resources to carry out tasks meant to be carried out by other business areas, and not caring about the work they are supposed to do, yet berates us for not carrying out the tasks we were meant to do promptly. I work on average 60-75 hours a week, but this is not reflected in my pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace modern working practices, and don;t be afraid to gt rid of deadwood.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started off well

Administrative Officer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStability, working together for the good of the country. Annual increases in wage, pension.

ConsPoor career advancement, vulnerable to systemic harassment and discrimination within independent departments

The traditional civil service culture is fast turning into a private sector experience, minus the pay!

Executive Officer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working opportunities are popular (unless you work in private or press office). A culture exists where people feel pride in their work which is positive to see despite the negative points made by the public and media. A good sense of camaraderie amongst civil servants.

ConsA place where change is very slow. Many elements of the civil service are losing their values as they morph into a private sector machine (following greater influence of ministers and people eager to please top management) - examples include elements of indirect bullying and harassment particularly of junior grades. The team spirit is being diluted as people are becoming more individualistic in outlook and behaviour in order to 'stand out'. Following the redundancy programme, a lot of relatively young and inexperienced people were promoted to jobs they're unqualified for particularly with management skills and they are very defensive against constructive criticism. Many permanent secretaries have left the civil service for the private sector and those who have replaced them fail to provide a challenge function to ministers and they keep a lower profile due to the reduction in staff morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to criticism and change which junior grades wish to see. Stop double standards - junior people are not allowed to undertake secondments or further education whereas senior people or the elite fast streamers are given these opportunities. who then end up eventually moving onto more 'lucrative' careers in the private sector. Invest in your junior and BME employees. Stop the cliquey culture of people having to fit into a certain group - at the moment its the only way to secure a promotion as no one hires people they dont know or are not connected to in some way. Make the recruitment, pay and appraisal process more transparent.

Management incompetence and bullying covered up by HR

CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA commitment to public service and delivering good quality work at G6/G7 (B1, B2) levels and a professional and co-operative working environment at these grades.

ConsUnnecessary levels of costly administrative middle management at more senior grades, where incompetent managers have been 'promoted out of the job they can't do' and a management attitude supported by HR to suppress and bully any individuals who question such hierarchies.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrder a thorough review of bullying (past and present), remove SPADs from the civil service pay roll, and review the wasteful and expensive procurement of suppliers and services using over-priced private companies like Capita and G4S.

Varied and of two extremes - good and bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- working on policies and topics which affect the nation
    - sense of prestige and history pervades
    - fascinating insight into how decisions are made by Govt of the day
    - strong team spirits between peers & colleagues (but lost between hierarchical grades)
    - flexible working hours and generous annual leave entitlement

Cons- inflexible hierarchy
    - nepotism: many instances where people would be hired as temps then given permanent positions after 6 months (following HR changes)
    - promotions based on favouritism (informal coaching given to preferred candidates)
    - poor people management skills by team leaders (cliquey groups who do not like being challenged)
    - opaque performance appraisal systems esp when determining who was awarded a bonus and why
    - inconsistent perks - only fast streamers and senior staff at team leader level and above allowed on secondments & career breaks
    - training budget focused on high-flying graduate fast streamers
    - low pay & constant protrayal of negative image from media/politicians/public

Advice to Senior Management- stop politicising civil servants
    - focus on upskilling civil servants by sharing training across other govt depts to save costs
    - stop pandering to political elements and be proud of challenge function, which has been sadly diluted
    - have a more visible and proactive group of senior civil servants/permsecs who actively engage with their departments
    - do more to retain top talent, most are leaving out of fear the constant negative portrayal of their profession is limiting career prospects in the future

An employer that practise what government preaches

Chief of Staff (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working, the opportunity to take your career in new and unexpected directions, good access to training, generally good terms and conditions.

ConsKnowing that whatever you do will never be good enough for some opportunistic politicians and sections of the media. The current pay freeze, changes to the pension and revised terms and conditions have all reduced the benefits of working in the civil service, without any compensating improvement elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your higher salaries and immunity from many of the changes coming let you stop fighting to defend your staff and the value of what we do..

Exciting for a first timer but just as exciting when leaving...

Policy Official (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGet to see how the Government really works and how much of the work carried out is actually done by you. Great holiday benefits and flexible working patterns.

ConsVery structured and grade dependent so exposure to higher level work at times limited. Rewards and pay always dependent on Government budgets.

Civil Service

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCommon sense of purpose arising from public service
    Fair and meritocratic
    Management go out of their way to make staff feel valued and consulted
    Some of the brightest people I've met.
    Participating in key news headline issues.

ConsPoor pay
    Management need to lead as well as empower/consult
    Bureaucratic and political
    Muddled management structures

Advice to Senior ManagementLeading is as important as getting buy in from the staff.

Worked for Civil Service United Kingdom? Contribute to the Community!