Civil Service United Kingdom

Sir Jeremy Heywood

civil servant uk

Current Employee - Civil Servant
    Current Employee - Civil Servant

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than a year

Pros

great atmosphere, kind, knowlegeable and helpful people

Cons

the only con I can think of is the lunch hour sometimes got extended.

keep up the great work

Interesting and challenging work with responsibility, in flexible conditions

Current Employee - Statistician  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Statistician in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good balance of interesting, varied work. Sensible working conditions. Recognition of skills over grade always staff to use own initiative.

Nice atmosphere at the office, with plenty of down to earth support.

Cons

Bad organisation and a lot of inconsistencies and changes make delivering on long term projects difficult. More time spent talking than doing. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the work done is good or otherwise. Not enough evidence used.

Some people do not do enough, some do too much.

Speak more often, outside of big meetings, to junior members of staff working on the details of projects if you want to understand the problems.

Moving in the right direction but the pay is not fair.

Current Employee - Executive Officer  in  Basildon, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Officer in Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Moving towards better customer service, new initiatives are starting to become more bespoke rather than a one shoe fit all culture. Flexi-time and leave is excellent!

Cons

The business continues to want more and more out of its staff, without paying a fair wage for it, this used to be counter-balanced by good pensions, but now again we are expected to work longer, pay more and get less. The appraisal system if rubbish and unfair, if you have an elite team, line managers will not recognize all of them as top performers. They want to stay in their quota's and not go into the moderation meetings to demonstrate that all deserved the top mark.

Make your staff feel valued, tell the world how good we are. Counter attack unfair bad media coverage and in turn public perception, with positive good news stories rather than continuously supporting the negative by ignoring it .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Works well for employees, but not necessarily for the state

Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits for individuals, plenty of promotion opportunities. Work-life balance is also good in most teams, although there is a working culture which is counterproductive to this in the areas seen to be 'high achieving'.

Cons

Too many people moving sideways or upwards all the time. Particularly at a higher level within the organisations. Values of teams are not always aligned with best practice for evidence based policy.

Require minimum terms for senior civil servants in each position to allow continuity

Great people and motivating mission

Current Employee - Civil Servant - Grade 7 Technical
    Current Employee - Civil Servant - Grade 7 Technical

Pros

Working with great people. highly talented and motivated by a mission that serves the country, without trying to maximise profit.

Cons

As in many big organisations, the bureaucracy can be a bit overwhelming, and alongside the highly motivated, talented staff, there are a few oxygen thieves.

Big programmatic governance works for solving some kinds of problems, but not as many as you think. Don't smother talent and innovation with PRINCE2 and MSP.

An employer that practise what government preaches

Current Employee - Chief of Staff  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chief of Staff in London, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible working, the opportunity to take your career in new and unexpected directions, good access to training, generally good terms and conditions.

Cons

Knowing that whatever you do will never be good enough for some opportunistic politicians and sections of the media. The current pay freeze, changes to the pension and revised terms and conditions have all reduced the benefits of working in the civil service, without any compensating improvement elsewhere.

Don't let your higher salaries and immunity from many of the changes coming let you stop fighting to defend your staff and the value of what we do..

Flexi flexi

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time

Pros

Flexi time is the largest positive, pay is lower than equivalent positions in private sector and culture is much more laid back than in private sector

Cons

Pay is a significant con and there are always strikes related to this and the public sector. It is hard to justify over paying employees with public money.

Good committed people, a good work/life balance and you're working for the public good

Current Employee - Regional Head of Emergency Planning  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Regional Head of Emergency Planning in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for the public good. Committed, intelligent colleagues. Good work life balance. Excellent holiday and welfare support benefits.

Cons

Over-centralised. Little opportunity for rapid promotion unless on one of the various 'Fast Streams'. Weak management of poor performers. Trying to keep up with the latest fad from politicians.

Truly de-centralise and empower mid/senior managers. Use 'mission tactics' not soviet style command & control management.

Compelling mission and good conditions

Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7
    Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom

Pros

Benefits excellent: Flexi time, great training opportunities, easy to move into or out of part time, professional subscriptions paid, etc.
    High levels of responsibility at all levels.
    Mission makes the difference. You are often making a real difference to the country and its people.
    Lots of intelligent people can make it a stimulating environment to work within.

Cons

You'll not get rich, financially at least. Salaries are fair (especially at graduate entry and high grades) though not too competitive in between, especially for IT specialists.
    Can be quite bureaucratic, with particular ways to get stuff done.

Okay, but the Old Boy's Club Stereotype still relevant as ever.

Current Employee - Project Support Officer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Support Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The canteen is rather good, and the job is as secure as you can get.

Cons

Unfortunately, in my part of the Civil Service, the perks of being a permanent member of staff is being eroded by the Culture of the Contractor, who are on vastly inflated rates, thinking that because they have fixed hours, and are not permitted home working, or any other benefits which permits an inclusive working environment, then neither should anyone else. The number of contractors on one of our sites, where a lot of jobs are being relocated to cut costs, negates and wipes out any saving made. There are "permanent contractors" who are obsessed with making themselves indispensable by refusing to share or train people... ironically, in some cases that was the sole purpose of their appointment. I am constantly undermined by my line manager, who uses my resources to carry out tasks meant to be carried out by other business areas, and not caring about the work they are supposed to do, yet berates us for not carrying out the tasks we were meant to do promptly. I work on average 60-75 hours a week, but this is not reflected in my pay.

Embrace modern working practices, and don;t be afraid to gt rid of deadwood.

Worked for Civil Service United Kingdom? Contribute to the Community!