Claire's Accessories UK Reviews

2.0
Claire's Accessories UK CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

1. Work alone and make hardly anything

Pros

If your a manager you get earned sick time, religious, personal and vacation pay.

Cons

You are required to get so much done in so little time. You are viewed as replaceable even after 7 years of being there. Your not valued what so ever. This is a national problem not just my area. I came from other states with different dms and rsm. They give no payroll to help get task done. You have to service customers do plano markdowns and clean with no help and god forbid a corp person walks in and u are doing task..u get chewed out cause customers should be more important yet if they walk in and no work is done then ur also getting yelled at

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Pay them more or give more payroll to lighten the load.

2. assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant/Acting Store Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant/Acting Store Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% discount on most merchandise

Cons

long hours with no breaks, advancement is almost impossible at a certain point, promotions given to not the hardest workers or best performers, but the ones who kiss the most district manager butt.

3. Glad I worked there for experience, but wouldn

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Claire's Accessories UK part-time

Pros

Typically fun atmosphere. Freedom to wear your own clothing, even to dress up for special occasions. 50% employee discount across all Claire's products, including piercings.

Cons

Poor quality training to pierce ears. Consisted of reading policy and procedures on piercing, watching a DVD on how to do it and practicing on a foam ear. Insufficient support given when having moral difficulties on the method of piercing with guns. Having to pierce babies of four months and onwards, and if you express an ethical issue with this practice then you're told to either get on with it or consider yourself out of a job as it comes under part of your job description. Minimum wage across sales assistants and supervisors alike, meaning that the distinguishable extra work that supervisors do to make sure stores run smoothly goes unnoticed by higher management in control of wages. Lack of incentives for beating targets and general incentives of working for Claire's.

Advice to Management

Give sales staff an opportunity to visit Head Office and see what goes on beyond store level. Improve wages or expect staff to continue to leave for other companies that pay better wages and value their employees much more. Improve training for piercing ears, particularly to bring it up to the standard you would expect from a professional piercing parlour. More flexibility with holidays for staff across summer and Christmas seasons. Enforce staff to improve hand hygiene across the board for piercings. Bringing in nose piercing with the gun is probably the worst move Claire's could possibly make in terms of improving the general public's opinion of the quality of piercing at Claire's.

5. Not what its made out to be

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK (Less than a year)

Pros

- Get to wear the stock - 50% off

Cons

I was taken on as a replacement for another member of staff who was dismissed, and put on a 4-hour contract. One week you'll have 26 hours and the next 3.5 hours making it impossible to get another part-time job as you have no clue when or how long you'll work for. The wage is shocking for the amount of work you do. You're expected to ear pierce, sort out delivery, stick to targets, upsell to every customer, have outstanding customer service and make it a fun atmosphere at the same time on minimum wage. I was told at the beginning of my employment I would be made into a keyholder with 3 other sale assistants, only 1 girl got promoted and when she left due to being stressed they decided to hire another younger girl to train up instead of promoting me like they were supposed to. I'm constantly told my customer service is bad when I literally pounce on customers the moment they walk in the door.

Advice to Management

- increase the wage - stop with the ott on customer service - give key holders a bigger allowance instead of £4 - promote more staff instead of hiring new ones

6. A learning curve... That's for sure!!

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to wear our own clothes. -Dressing To Impress with stock. -Theme Days. -Staff Discount 50%.

Cons

-The Wage. -The Pressure to sell 18ct piercings and getting a telling off from the manager (who refuses to do piercings herself unless it's a £60+ piercing). - A new product comes out and they suddenly decide it is a part of your job description to sell this brand new 'Exclusive to Claire's Product' or you face breach of contract and you could face a disciplinary. -Sales Assistants and Third Key holders do more work than the Manager but get no praise or rewards. - Having to pierce to child's ear with hardly any training.... I could go on but won't.

Advice to Management

Don't just reward Store Managers and Assistant Managers, sales assistants might be more willing to work the hours if they felt appreciated and not just a prop to make the manager look good... e.g I had a £300 sale to one customer and it was completely my sale however the manager said it was her sale (as we both have the same name on the receipts) and she had the reward (even though the Third Key holder told the DM that it wasn't her sale, she said 'Why would the manager lie?'). Maybe you should listen to the real people, the people on the shop floor, the people who are making you money and the people who have ideas about the store they work in and not to the Managers who delegate every task and dismiss every idea that isn't theirs because they don't like us lowly Sales Assistants to be rewarded.

7. Working in hell would be better

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount is the only good thing.

Cons

I am on a 4 hour contract and a key holder. I get £4 extra a month for this 'privilege'. I'm currently having to work 40+ hours because our staff turnover is so high. The wage is disgustingly low and hardly worth getting out of bed for. I'm expected to lone trade for 6+ hours and also expected to stay late to finish tasks that I haven't been able to do because of being left alone. Management act like martyrs and try to guilt trip you into doing even more hours because they want time off. Forcing staff into piercing 4 month old babies. Forcing staff to pierce in general even when they are uncomfortable and against doing so. Unreasonable sales targets and trying to encourage staff to force certain products on customers. I'm still stuck there but the second I find something I'll be gone.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with more respect. Increase the hourly rate. Give key holders a pay rise. Stop pushing your staff to breaking point with unreasonable targets and duties. Don't force staff to pierce.

8. Sales

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK part-time

Pros

Good staff members and 50% off although products are cheap and usually poor wuality

Cons

Ear peircing training is a joke. Was let loose onto customers after only 2 hours of training (which is only reading through a booklet). You are expected to know medical implications with ear piercing without the full training which is difficult, i blag myself to customers all the time. They make you sell 18ct piercings when stainless steel is actually the reccomemnded metal. Pay rate is poor at only £4.68 for under 18s, £5.35 for 18-21 and minimum wage there after. There is no recognition for the staff who work there and claires constantly roll out promotions which are difficult to describe to customers at times. They also seem to employ outsiders rather than promote the staff who know what theyre doing, no room for development. Im currently working in a store with a manager who has no clue what she does amd stays im the back room as if its the HQ rather than the store! Do not apply to claires, ear peircing is horrendous, and managers are ignorant.

Advice to Management

Stop giving sales your crap jobs as if you cant do them! We are treated like servants rather than collegues.

9. horrible disgusting, treated like a slave i had to quit

Former Employee - Supervisor in Ealing, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Ealing, England (UK)

Pros

50% discount, you can wear your own Clothes, colorful shop, music in the store

Cons

They don't appreciate your work, managers bossy you.frighten if you don't finish thousends of jobs in a very short time, unprofessional, I court my manager letting people in the back office many times Leaving you by yourself for time in the shop floor, when you are not allowed to let unauthorized people come in the back areas, I got robbed in the workplace many times, managers pretend you to be answering on whatsapp outside work instead to make a call as any manager would do, they pretend you to go to a colleagues house to get the shop keys if who's in charge is not there to open the store, you don't get a proper training, the ear piercing procedure is dangerous and not clean enough, managers don't have no respect, racists, i saw my manager swearing at Customers and not refunding items when she had to and lie to Customer service people on the phone.manager has changed prices of items so many times changing more to Customers to get to the money target of the day

Advice to Management

Learn from other companies how to work as a team and make your work place a nice place to work !

10. Totally neutral experience, really!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work, I'm fortunate that the people I work with are friendly and that makes the day a lot easier. Being a people person, I really enjoy the idea that we have to greet everyone in the store too. 50% discount is a definite positive, and being able to see the stock before it goes out means we're able to put things to the side to buy at the end of the day! It's nice being able to wear what you want (within reason) as it allows you to express yourself, and occasions like Christmas are great fun to dress up for!

Cons

Minimum wage for a lot of work, key holder gets barely any more than sales assistants but have the added duties of opening and closing the store. There's very little training and especially with the ear piercing! I wouldn't get pierced at Claire's simply because of the lack of training. Rotas are often sorted the day before the week starts, which can be a problem if you want to have a social life. Poor organisation skills from management.

11. A hardworking team with little to no thanks!

Current Employee - UK Head Office in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - UK Head Office in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Claire's Accessories UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great progression within the business due to a terrifying high turnover of staff. 50% discount which is great!!!

Cons

There are a lot of miserable staff who are de-moralised by constant doom and gloom sales figures, yet the company still makes a hefty profit. Lack of leadership and management as directors are scarcely in the office. Senior Managers are overworked and scarcely recognised for their achievements. Staff are annually appraised and reviewed on previous years objectives which is NOT tied into pay review even if you exceed expectations. Store staff seem miserable and disjointed to the business. The Distribution Centre staff are very quiet and rarely speak to office staff which creates an 'us' and 'them' environment which is quite strange considering all working in the same building. IT Hardware and Software is extremely poor therefore resulting in slow working computers and programs and add’s to frustration when trying to prepare in a high pressured scenario.

Advice to Management

Management should encourage a more open and friendly environment within the office. They need to look at raising salary expectations and getting better qualified people to do more technical jobs - Most jobs are entry level roles that require no qualifications and in some roles it would be more advantageous to have somebody who is a professional in their field. Directors should look at going to work in one of the more poor (state of repair) run down stores for a week to see how the store staff have to work. I believe management should relax the rules on a half an hour lunch and extend to a minimum of 45 minutes because 30 minutes lunch is unbelievable considering an 8 hour day (40 hr week) and barely gives anyone time to eat.Working hours are 9-5.30 with 30 minutes lunch. There is a distinct lack of parking for employees resulting in staff being afraid to go out at lunch for fear of loosing their space and having no where to park. The company wants to portray fun to its customer, therefore a general fun environment must be adopted by management and having fun in the office should be encouraged rather than demonized.

RSS Feed </> Embed