Claire's Accessories UK

Claire's Accessories UK Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Claire's Accessories UK CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Rewarding, exciting experience all perks

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

ProsThe best things about working here are meeting new people and doing different things besides from just working on the till like piercing ears, and delivering great customer service.

ConsChallenges are doing too many things at once, when someone is on their break and there's people cueing up and i'm also doing a piercing sometimes its really hard. some people get nasty whist waiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for claires lets you bond with the manager because shes working on the floor too, so its always interesting and fun, but also scary at the same time to prove yourself, gives more of an uplift really.

Work alone and make hardly anything

ProsIf your a manager you get earned sick time, religious, personal and vacation pay.

ConsYou are required to get so much done in so little time. You are viewed as replaceable even after 7 years of being there. Your not valued what so ever. This is a national problem not just my area. I came from other states with different dms and rsm. They give no payroll to help get task done. You have to service customers do plano markdowns and clean with no help and god forbid a corp person walks in and u are doing task..u get chewed out cause customers should be more important yet if they walk in and no work is done then ur also getting yelled at

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. Pay them more or give more payroll to lighten the load.

its a mixed bag kinda place.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun, fast , vibrant work place.Great staff discounts, progression possible.

ConsUnderstaffed during bust times or sometimes having to work alone. very low pay for keyholders/supervisors.
    Getting only £1 for every contracted hour is absurd because almost all assistants are on a 4 hr contact a week! Customer service style to aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have not already rework your wage/contract system. The responsibility that is put on your keyholders is not worth £4. Listen to you staff in store, they know what works and what does not. They are there all day every dsy and each town is different to the last. the customer service approach is to full on, its NOT inviting it just gets on customers nerves.Allowe your staff 2 days off in a row! they work bloody hard for you , they need to recoup and 1 day hardly cuts it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were friendly and easy to get along with, made settling into a new job much easier. Manager fit my working hours around College, which was ideal. Staff discount was very reasonable. Holiday allowance again was very reasonable. Company values striving for providing excellent customer service are nice and easy to remember and follow. Fun and friendly environment, thoroughly enjoyed working there. Manager very understanding of my decision to further my education.

ConsThe rate of pay was a little difficult to live on at times where you were getting your contracted hours when you're on a four hour a week contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with the stores across the country, it would make life for the staff much easier.

Uncomfortabe environment

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Macclesfield, England (UK)

ProsI enjoyed the tasks and was satisfied with the work load, although i was sometimes at a loss of what to do.

ConsI felt unwelcomed y the staff, constant mood swings which caused an awkward working environment

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a quarterly review for staff to discuss work conditions

Tough & Thankless

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMy girls
    The discount
    The progression (I went from sales to ASM within less than a year)
    The experience

Cons*Very low pay (13k p/a for ASM)
    *No thanks for hard work
    *Expected to work past your end time (it was suggested many times I stay past my 6pm finish time to do tasks I didn't have time for due to weekly hours cutbacks)
    *Lack of bonuses for staff less than SM/ASM yet expected to carry out just as much of a workload
    *Very high workload
    *Naming and Shaming of stores not doing well
    *Lack of higher management support....
    The reason I came into retail was to give customer service, as much as Claires says its key focus is service its really not possible for the stores on the frontline.
    Dare I go on?????

Advice to Senior ManagementThank your teams.
    Increase pay.
    Give realistic base hours.
    Stop being so Cliquey.
    Focus less on DTI and more on actual service which just isn't possible with the other tasking expected.
    Give hours for staff training.
    Take into account the new online shopping whilst creating targets for the next quarter; as much as you think it doesn't affect us in store it does.
    Realise your staff are human!

A roller-coaster!

Key Holder (Former Employee) Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

ProsDressing up, discount on piercing, hair and jewellery.

ConsNo appreciation from head office, only the manager gets a bonus despite it usually being the key holders and sales assistants doing the work. ( My manager sat on her bum all day )

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard workers, I loved working there until I started to get taken advantage of and was never appreciated for the long shifts / last minute shifts I did .. sometimes without a break all day !

The manager I had unfortunately liked to be bossy, rude and a bully. Made up her own rules and we were told to like it or lump it as sales staff were ten a penny...this resulted in 2 people leaving straight away ( they were damn good sales staff who sold more than the manager and assistant manager together).

Despite the manager breaking lots of rules including coming into work drunk she was not brought up about it.

I had some really good times at Claires and I will never forget it, it was just unfortunate that the new boss I had was vile and liked to put people down.

I would not recommend working here to my worst enemy.

Keyholder (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsThe staff were lovely. Its nice to be able to wear your own clothes.

ConsManagement forcing you to stay late. Forcing you to pierce babies ears when you have only just trained up and aren't comfortable. Several girls were told to either come in on a day off or be fired, even when the girls had college. Managers making several girls not feel pretty enough to work there. Was taken on as a keyholder but was not trained up on any keyholder duties, although was still expected to run the shop floor so the management could sit in the office on their phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff are people too, not objects.

Absolute Nightmare

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff were like a family to me and Claire's was the first place I ever felt like I belonged. The staff were enough to make me forgive anything else. Excellent staff discount.

ConsDuring my time here I progressed from sales assistant to assistant store manager within a year. When I was made key holder I was paid less than members of staff over the age of 21 were as I was only 19. They expect you to plano an entire shop in very little time and prepare a sale in two weeks then tell you you're launching a week early every time. Ear piercing on babies is always a nightmare and the parents are down right awful when things don't go their way. I had no consistency in my shifts and was moved between two stores in my city. Some weeks I'd work 40+ hours a week between both stores and have no stability as to which team was mine. Very lonely as I didn't fit anywhere then. Payroll cuts mean you lone work for hours and then when you do get staff you get a 30 min break during which you can't leave if you're the only key holder. The company deliberately overlook talent within and take in management externally only to have them mess up and make the staff they overlooked fix it. Additionally, after leaving I reapplied when my old role came up (I'd been on a temporary assistant manager contract and left when I went back to supervisor). I passed the phone screening and travelled to another city to comp shop only to receive an email saying my old area manager felt I was incapable of doing the role I'd been doing literally a few months before and later said that if I'd been serious about the company I'd have never left.

Shocking pay, unrealistic expectations, massive instabilities and no opportunities for progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise your talent in stores and stop them from leaving. Do not overlook your best staff and hire externally when the best candidates are already in store. Make realistic demands on your staff and quit changing your deadlines.

Stay Away from this company!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStaff discount is good, thats it.. but only so many bobbles you can buy!!

ConsLone Trading 6 hours a day, whilst still expecting to perform all tasks, service, mid day change of promos, 7 sales, plannopgramming a shop in the 3 extra hours that have been given.
    Staff turnover is ridiculous due to the way they are treated, rotas changed even as late as the day before.
    Bitching and judgmental comments among senior management like the DSMs & Regional managers, commenting on peoples looks is personal not professional. Maybe this should be pointed out at their next meeting.
    working whilst sick is expected, no matter what the illness, as cover is as rare as the recognition and thanks you'll receive for any support you give.
    Favoritism is apparent and this means that people are aware of things before they happen.. eg/ store closures
    Treat staff with little respect and dignity.
    HR have no back bone, so will never challenge any query, making you in store look incompetent. Complaints are never taken seriously and this has caused employees to leave as they feel they have no support to tackle work place bullying.
    Pay is shocking, managers salaries are the same as supervisors salaries in other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the way you communicate with employees... We are in the stores earning you the money, so you can sit and sup coffee whilst discussing "bitching" about employees.

Worked for Claire's Accessories UK? Contribute to the Community!