Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "You get a great employee discount because they want u to wear the merchandise"
    in 28 reviews
  • "fun to intereact with kids through earpiercing, good discount 50% off"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 27 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

LOVED THIS JOB

Third Key (Former Employee)
Bend, OR

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Prossmall team of co-workers so we were like a family, it was easy to sell the stuff cause is was inexpensive and fun stuff. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. the employee discount was the BEST.

Consthere was a bit of a disconnect between our store and the higher ups in the company, our district manager would sweep in and give us her "solutions" to our problems and just expect the numbers to magically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make it easier to transfer? I would still be working for Claire's, but i moved to another state and the store here wouldn't even consider me cause they had a full staff, I wouldve liked the change to meet the team and be put on an on call staus maybe, to help out when needed, I loved the company.

Overall, a cush job that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsFun environment; even if you don't like little girls, you end up LOVING them every time they come to your store!

Business casual dress code means you feel comfortable at work! Claire's is one of the few retailers who is accepting (and almost encouraging!) of tasteful tattoos and body jewelry. However, gauges are slightly more difficult to get away with; I bought a ton of plain plugs and super glue earrings onto them to keep up with the trends.

Excellent discount on merchandise inspires you to stay up to date on trends. You begin to fall in love with trends you never thought you would before!

Great way to dive into management! I was hired as a third key and within months was promoted up! If you're serious about your job, always bring your a-game, and tell your DSM that you're open to moving, it is potentially extremely easy to move up in management quickly, learning a lot about the management world!

Perfect environment for children and young women! We are allowed to uphold a fun and safe environment, and that includes asking people to leave when they are being vulgar or inappropriate! It's all about being family friendly. =)

ConsUnrealistic expectations with tasks: you're given bare minimum hours to do a task that requires at least double those hours! Moving an entire store's worth of merchandise can't be done by two people in three hours.

Unrealistic expectations with sales:
DSM will rag on you even if you exceed company expectations and standards.
Company insists on an easy return policy yet returns DESTROY store statistics.
You're told to be pushy about ear piercing with every customer and it causes a lot of customers to leave.

Everything is monitored and micromanaged: DSM now manipulates EVERY schedule to please her, despite not knowing availability or schedules of management team. Visual has to be set EXACTLY as corporate wants it, despite local theft patterns or local sales patterns.

DSM has obvious favorites and doesn't even try to hide them!

DSM essentially only ruins morale with employees. Every day, reading her emails or hearing her voicemails just makes you feel hopeless, as though you won't ever be able to do well unless your her favorite.

Very difficult to communicate outside of your district for any reason! Calling the benefits hotline results in a month long wait for a return call, by which time you could no longer be eligible to enroll! Calling HR requires you to leave a detailed message, which makes you feel as though they are going to inquire after the SM or DSM prior to returning your call and hearing your side. No way to notify if a customer left upset, yet a customer complaint can cause you your job.

Benefits are decent but be wary of how they will remove the amount from your paycheck! My first month of benefits, they took the full amount out of BOTH paychecks! Thanks for the warning about me not being able to pay bills.

Claire's is high theft but expects you to prevent it with no additional coverage. Customers learn to steal when you're helping a different person (ie, stuck at the register).

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery customer base reacts differently to visuals! Stores should be able to have more power over making slight alterations to their planograms!

Communication is embarrassing. At a corporation this level, there is no excuse for how pathetic it is to communicate outside of the district.

Customers should not have as much power as you allow them. A customer today will complain just in the hopes of getting an employee into trouble and you are playing into that game. Serial returners know that employees can get into trouble for the returners behavior yet will do so anyway!

Step away from the desk and remember what it's like to be on the sales floor. Demoralizing your employees is a good way to have the company go under.

Company is always trying to cut corners

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pro's about working here I would honestly say is a steady paycheck (in most cases a raise every 6 months or so) and the discount on merchandise (50% off).

ConsPM visits and random visits from your district manager make you feel like you are always being watched. Also since when I started 2 years ago the company has been doing a lot of cut backs in payroll and have been very stingy with anything that might cost them an extra buck. Even though sales goals might be constantly met, there is always something they find to complain about. Corporate is never happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor one day actually spend time in a store selling and providing customer service. You will see clearly that all of your demands and procedures either do not work or are impossible to get done. You are spreading yourselves too thin, focus on one thing and do it right. I believe more feedback needs to be acquired from actual sales people who are in the stores working every day and you need to take what we say into consideration, we know what were talking about.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked for this company for 3 years, have left one time but currently work here again.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun environment, great people, customers are rarely rude, with hard work you move up pretty quickly, great benefits

ConsSales goals, PM visits, ADS is a big deal, hard to call out sick, work alone at times, a lot of tasks to complete at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work your employees do and reward them. Some higher people (DM, RSM) tend to forget what it's like to work on the sales floor and expect much more than possible out of you. We're only human.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiscount 50%
Vacation
Get to see new project
Only require to close twice a week

ConsPlano
No hours
DM that do not know what their doing
Regional that's rude
EP training
Pressure on selling Cashwraps
Product is over priced and cheaply made
Markdowns every month
10/10 twice a month
Cheap customers only want to purchase clearance
Customer complaints over petty things
Regional talks about you behind your back
DM have no authorization to let go of employees that are not performing
Pay
Raises
MIT positions
Base hours 102 with 6 people on staff
High turn over rate
No training hours 5 are allowed for supervisors that's a joke
You have to be watching everyone at all times known losses are crazy

Advice to Senior ManagementDM should not be promoted from stores unless they know their policy's 100%
Some don't even visit stores for months at a time where are they?
Regional plays favorites doesn't hold DMs accountable
Regional should be the most professional person a SM ASM or 3K have contact with instead everyone is scared of her she makes rude unprofessional remarks
Company should be investing In their employees that have loyalty to them instead of bashing and being disrespectful
You know people are stealing put metal detectors in stores for the safety of YOUR employees
Stop opening soo many stores when the stores you have now are not making their money

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great to work when young

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores

ProsGreat discount and customers were friendly

ConsDM is very rude, yells, and unprofessional

Fun Job, but management ruins that with its lack of organization and care for employees.

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsEnjoyable job for the most part, good pay, nice hours if you work at one in the mall, get a raise every 6 months (you're supposed to, but I never got mine...).

ConsManagement is terrible, unorganized, and lie to their employees. It's difficult to take personal time off.

Its an okay temporary job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsYou have nice coworkers and its easy to trade shifts. Its a very fast-paced environment, so the hours go by quickly

ConsA 30 minute lunch break after you have been there for 5 hours. High Turnover. Sales associates rarely stay longer than 4 hours. The teach you really sneaky tactics of "upselling". If someone is looking at something simple like nail polish, they teach you to walk up to them, grab three more, tell them how lovely the extra ones are and just dump them in the customer's bag. You upsell at the door, upsell on the floor, and always upsell at the register. If you don't do this and the store has a "Secret Shopper", you will get in trouble with the corporate office. Also, a sale's associate should not be piercing your daughter's ears. We are have very minimal training. Take them to a reputable piercing shop. A piecing gun is used to pierce ears (Which is not reccomended) and its just wiped down with a Clorox Wipe after each person. I was just an 18 year old piercing hundreds of people's ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the stores to have more full-time associates. Their hour cutting tactics are very sneaky.

Fun place to work , not enough help from district managers

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe discount , great place to get started in retail and learn about core customer service values

ConsToo much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone. You rarely take a break when your supposed to again bc of lack of hours . If you trip to reach out to a district manager you would usually get zero help .

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to train new hires , understand that we are the ones stuck in a store for 8 hours alone with no break so if we need to stop and take a sip of water you can't punish us for that

Don't Work Here

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discount decent compensation. The customers are amazing and I love the work itself.

ConsManagement has to LIVE in the stores. No, home life.
- No payroll to work with company allocates payroll with no sense of the business.
- Its hard to keep a good well trained staff when you can only offer associates 10hrs per week(w/countless on-call shifts) at some point.
- Separation between Corporate and the Field
- Corporate seems to hand out directives by the seat of their pants
- Corporate doesn't give field enough time to plan & set events. Store closes at 9pm, associates are scheduled for 10pm and Corporate would send directives(ie. window change, sale markdowns, mini floor-set changes )via email the day that it needed to be set prior to open of business the next day. It is one thing if it happens once in a while but it takes place 1-2 times per week.
- Marketing is constantly changed confuses customers along with associates. Its as if corporate changes their minds daily. And not enough time or people to get it done in their time frame.
- Wrong marketing sent to stores
-Constant in-store corporate visits which starts to seem pointless since they don't take store feedback or either chooses to ignore field suggestions.
- Customer return system is HIGHLY INEFFECTIVE. Its time consuming and the thieves have a field day exploiting its many flaws. UPGRADE THE SYSTEM. We are giving money away that can be used in store(hours for the store)

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on your stores... Don't just take a dm's word for it we are required to break labor break laws.. Give more payroll hours. You will have more loyalty, honesty and less of a turn over rate.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.