Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "people are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 29 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

LOVED THIS JOB

Third Key (Former Employee)
    Bend, OR

Prossmall team of co-workers so we were like a family, it was easy to sell the stuff cause is was inexpensive and fun stuff. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. the employee discount was the BEST.

Consthere was a bit of a disconnect between our store and the higher ups in the company, our district manager would sweep in and give us her "solutions" to our problems and just expect the numbers to magically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make it easier to transfer? I would still be working for Claire's, but i moved to another state and the store here wouldn't even consider me cause they had a full staff, I wouldve liked the change to meet the team and be put on an on call staus maybe, to help out when needed, I loved the company.

Too much work not enough payroll

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDiscount
    You make your schedules
    Holiday pay
    Vacation and personal pay

ConsThe ridiculous amount of tasking
    No payroll
    Low pay
    No bonuses
    People quitting all the time
    Planograms
    Markdowns
    6 day work weeks during holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement expects a lot but them theirselves can't task and customer service like they want us to also their not in touch with reality they don't care if you don't take lunches or work by yourself all day this company is one of the worst of worst

One you should avoid

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Hazleton, PA

Prosyou get 50% off all the products

Consavoid it at all costs!

Advice to Senior Managementyou talk about personal growth well than you have to be able to be more than 20 years old to work there!!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough workplace!

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsThere are not manu pros for this company. You do get company car, computer, cellphone. Mostly 9-5 work schedule.

Conseverything! Low pay for store managers, little training, low workforce payroll, large shipments, low retention, cut-throat upper management.

"Fun atmosphere with tedious work and minimal compensation"

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCo-workers create a great with environment. Lots of hands-on training and you get a great experience with learning a new skill. There is always a joy when you can make a little girl feel like a princess!

ConsOutdated policy and procedures and with a busy high-volume store there is not enough hours provided to keep up with freight. When you are alone in your store and it gets busy it's difficult to deter shoplifters. Also the company should compensate the employees better and give opportunity for advancement within the company beyond SM.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation is definitely needed to retain great people, also showing an employee appreciation would also be nice.

Not great, in fact, bad

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount, if you really want to buy cheap, easily broken,and within a month discolored and worthless costume jewelry

ConsIncredibly high turnover, low pay, minimal bonus potential, snobby upper management, often on single coverage, very young clientielle (i.e. women will leave their children in the store for babysitting) overall unreasonably high expectations from store management without support from upper management... and... piercing. My whole experience with this job was extraordinarily horrible. Unless you know in your heart that you don't deserve this job and that you could probably never do much, much better... never work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement shouldn't expect that a store should do a floor planogram move, a promotion change, and clearance markdowns all in the same week. (along with shipment arriving every single day and interviews and hiring and training all the time due to the extremely high turnover due to the very low pay"

Fun Job, but management ruins that with its lack of organization and care for employees.

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Martinsburg, WV

ProsEnjoyable job for the most part, good pay, nice hours if you work at one in the mall, get a raise every 6 months (you're supposed to, but I never got mine...).

ConsManagement is terrible, unorganized, and lie to their employees. It's difficult to take personal time off.

Overall, a cush job that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun environment; even if you don't like little girls, you end up LOVING them every time they come to your store!

Business casual dress code means you feel comfortable at work! Claire's is one of the few retailers who is accepting (and almost encouraging!) of tasteful tattoos and body jewelry. However, gauges are slightly more difficult to get away with; I bought a ton of plain plugs and super glue earrings onto them to keep up with the trends.

Excellent discount on merchandise inspires you to stay up to date on trends. You begin to fall in love with trends you never thought you would before!

Great way to dive into management! I was hired as a third key and within months was promoted up! If you're serious about your job, always bring your a-game, and tell your DSM that you're open to moving, it is potentially extremely easy to move up in management quickly, learning a lot about the management world!

Perfect environment for children and young women! We are allowed to uphold a fun and safe environment, and that includes asking people to leave when they are being vulgar or inappropriate! It's all about being family friendly. =)

ConsUnrealistic expectations with tasks: you're given bare minimum hours to do a task that requires at least double those hours! Moving an entire store's worth of merchandise can't be done by two people in three hours.

Unrealistic expectations with sales:
    DSM will rag on you even if you exceed company expectations and standards.
    Company insists on an easy return policy yet returns DESTROY store statistics.
    You're told to be pushy about ear piercing with every customer and it causes a lot of customers to leave.

Everything is monitored and micromanaged: DSM now manipulates EVERY schedule to please her, despite not knowing availability or schedules of management team. Visual has to be set EXACTLY as corporate wants it, despite local theft patterns or local sales patterns.

DSM has obvious favorites and doesn't even try to hide them!

DSM essentially only ruins morale with employees. Every day, reading her emails or hearing her voicemails just makes you feel hopeless, as though you won't ever be able to do well unless your her favorite.

Very difficult to communicate outside of your district for any reason! Calling the benefits hotline results in a month long wait for a return call, by which time you could no longer be eligible to enroll! Calling HR requires you to leave a detailed message, which makes you feel as though they are going to inquire after the SM or DSM prior to returning your call and hearing your side. No way to notify if a customer left upset, yet a customer complaint can cause you your job.

Benefits are decent but be wary of how they will remove the amount from your paycheck! My first month of benefits, they took the full amount out of BOTH paychecks! Thanks for the warning about me not being able to pay bills.

Claire's is high theft but expects you to prevent it with no additional coverage. Customers learn to steal when you're helping a different person (ie, stuck at the register).

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery customer base reacts differently to visuals! Stores should be able to have more power over making slight alterations to their planograms!

Communication is embarrassing. At a corporation this level, there is no excuse for how pathetic it is to communicate outside of the district.

Customers should not have as much power as you allow them. A customer today will complain just in the hopes of getting an employee into trouble and you are playing into that game. Serial returners know that employees can get into trouble for the returners behavior yet will do so anyway!

Step away from the desk and remember what it's like to be on the sales floor. Demoralizing your employees is a good way to have the company go under.

Company is always trying to cut corners

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe only pro's about working here I would honestly say is a steady paycheck (in most cases a raise every 6 months or so) and the discount on merchandise (50% off).

ConsPM visits and random visits from your district manager make you feel like you are always being watched. Also since when I started 2 years ago the company has been doing a lot of cut backs in payroll and have been very stingy with anything that might cost them an extra buck. Even though sales goals might be constantly met, there is always something they find to complain about. Corporate is never happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor one day actually spend time in a store selling and providing customer service. You will see clearly that all of your demands and procedures either do not work or are impossible to get done. You are spreading yourselves too thin, focus on one thing and do it right. I believe more feedback needs to be acquired from actual sales people who are in the stores working every day and you need to take what we say into consideration, we know what were talking about.

Ups and downs

Hoffman Estates, IL

Prospleasant working environment
    technological infrastructure has been improved since I started
    goodie boxes with merchandise for friends and family
    on site cafeteria with healthy choices
    on site exercise facility

Conspay is less that average
    middle management often overlooks females as potential experts
    first level support needs to increase troubleshooting skills, time management

Advice to Senior Managementall upper management needs to be certain that middle management is treating all departmental employees with respect
    middle management needs to make sure that all departments work on skill development

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 274 reviews posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.