Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "You get a great employee discount because they want u to wear the merchandise"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 24 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Management Experience

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the variety of duties in being the assistant manager. Piercing ears, talking with customers all day and having good co-worker company along the way. We generally shared tactics together on preventing theft and assisting each other in meeting sales expectations. We also through children birthday parties that were exhausting but very fun.

ConsLots of stress if at a slower store (meeting sales goals), Lots of stress at busy stores (too much to do, too little time).

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any. My district manager who is no longer with the company was amazing, along with my store manager.

Don't get comfortable

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsWork around your schedule, great people to work with, discount is awesome, they sell nice things, anddd that's it

ConsLittle hours to give (3 hour shifts) , they want soo much done in a little bit of time and low pay rate, we get 7 boxes of shipment ( of little items) on an average day and it needs to be process before the day is over, home office goes on vacation so if I need them ur out of luck

Advice to Senior ManagementEasy just ask to be a manger and you will get trained

Horrible company to work for...

Third Key Holder (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGood employee discount (50%).

And that's it. But the jewelry or anything you get there will break within a week. So there's really no point in wasting your money.

ConsToo much expected of employees in the amount of time they're given to complete the many tasks in only one shift.

Poor paychecks for how many tasks and responsibilities you're expected to take on by yourself.

Third-Keys have it worst of all. You're treated like an Assistant Manager. (Even according to their company, the definition of a Third-Key Holder is a part-time management position.) But you're paid like a Sales Associate, barely above minimum wage. But you're expected to basically run the store, and sometimes completely by yourself... especially closing shifts on the weekends. All of the responsibilities and expectations that are put on management, but no benefits and the pay rate does not match up.

Catty, high school-like behavior in the back room. Too much gossip and back-biting.

Left in the store alone for hours at a time. No break. No going to bathroom or getting to eat.

They do monthly "PM and AM Visits"... a Store Manager or your District Manager spies on you while you open and/or close the store by yourself. Then they surprise you by the door when you're about to leave (or open the store), and take you back inside to review everything you did. I've worked 3 retail jobs before this one and I'd never heard of this practice before. Very weird and personally invasive if you ask me.

Corporate favoritism. A new District Manager was brought in, so then he brought in a new Manager In Training... she then proceeded to talk about all of us and spread lies to other employees and to our Store Manager and District Manager. -- Corporate will probably never know about this seemingly petty stuff... but it actually turns into real serious problems. It gets employees hours cut down to nothing and results in them not being able to pay rent or eat. And this is not just me. It happened to two other girls at our store, before me. All because people have personal agendas and will step on anyone they don't like just to get ahead.

Claire's does not care about its employees whatsoever. They only care about money. No family values, either. They refused to let me go home to see my family in another state for Christmas. Even though we had a full staff. It's just crappy tween jewelry. I don't see why it was life or death if I left a week for Christmas when we were fully staffed and I was the only one whose whole family lives in a different state.

Working for this company seemed great the first couple of months. But once I settled in, I realized how volatile it actually is there.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good co-workers

I have been working at Claire's Stores

ProsIt is a friendly atmosphere

ConsA lot of work for little pay

It was a job

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros50% off Discount, paid vacation, sick time, piercing ears, working with customers

ConsDM that doesn't want to listen to any problems you may have in your store,working 6-8 hours alone with no breaks and no time to get something to eat or go to the restroom because you are by yourself. Not rotating weekends so you will always have to work weekends. working on floor sets and only having 4 days to do them along with attending to customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the managers about problems in store and work with them. don't belittle your employees and tell them they are worthless, they are the ones making the money for the company

The company is totally unfair

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe employee discount is great

ConsWouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work at Claires

Advice to Senior Managementthe Dm should visit stores more than once every 2 months

Don't ever work there!

Third Key (Current Employee)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can pick up extra shifts at other stores

ConsNot good pay, don't get breaks, very catty, no opportunity to move up

Lackluster Company

Store Manager (Former Employee)
North Chicago, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEasy sells due to Claire's branding, good ear piercing experience, merchandising the product is fun, customer service opportunities, can get closer with staff due to down time, store discounts are generally around 50%, great benefits, a low amount of work hours, tons of signs to set.

ConsLow pay with extremely low raises, the hiring of extremely young and inexperienced Store Managers and District Managers, lack of integrity with the DM's, upper mgmt. not answering their phones, not straight forward with the planogram sets, emotional regional who acts extremely unprofessional, unorganized DM's, micromanagement to its fullest, stores are super empty on the weekdays so it gets boring,not enough work to do when a set isn't happening, no cameras,hard to take vacations, very political,the Claires low volume and low square footage stores look poor on a resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull people into the company with integrity and a decent amount of retail experience. It's not right to have the SM's take the fall for the young and inexperienced DM's who are really still learning the job being that its their first DM position in their life.

Good for a while, not someplace you want to retire in

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Danville, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat discount. The focus of the company is to provide a great experience for the customer, and this is something they focus on in their intensive training program that was recently updated. A service all stores can provide, even though some don't bother with, are the Celebrate Parties for kids. The parties are fun and break up the monotony of the day to day work by letting you play with the kids.

ConsThe amount stress and overall experience in the store can vary widely depending on your District Manager. The pay is on the low end, and unless you are a high traffic store you operate at the minimum amount of hours to function. Only Store Managers and Assistant store Managers are eligible for benefits and bonuses. Keyholders are expected to be fully invested in the store while only being scheduled 10-20 hours a week so the turn over rate for this position is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time in your Keyholders, the store depends on them to function. Maybe add another position for part time management with guaranteed amount of hours to entice employees to stay and be more invested. Corporate needs to get with the times and begin online applications for in store positions.

Pretty enjoyable job, hectic during holiday seasons

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Augusta, GA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsAlways something to do, hours are good, slight discount.

ConsCustomers mess up the store all day every day and you hace to fix the same things many times a day. Closing is tedious.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.