Claire's Stores

Claire's Stores Reviews in Davenport, IA

2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Typical retail

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The discount, can earn bonus if you make planned sales

Cons

working nights, weekends, and holidays. cattiness between other stores when you're supposed to be part of the same team

Don't put so much emphasis on training of the key holders if the store manager will always be required to be there!

Spread out the tasks!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great employee discount
    Fun atmosphere
    Bonus incentives for beating last year numbers
    Recognition within store managers' conference calls when goals are exceeded
    Recognition when new ideas are brought to the table

Cons

This is retail, I expect to work nights, more hours than my 40, and for the company to want to make a profit. I do not expect to be treated like a child and have to do silly things like "sign off on voicemail when you schedule your store meeting." I am an adult, as are almost all my employees. If you ask me to have a store meeting, I will have it, trust me! The amount of tasking is fine, but spread it out. There are weeks that my employees could take a nap and nobody would notice, then they throw a plano update, markdown and a million revisions (because someone at the corp. level could not get it right the first time) in the same week and oh yeah... no payroll to do it in. If you have employees and management that care about the business, you will bonus, and bonus well. The downside to that is the amount of hours you are by yourself (4-8, depending on the day) and have to run back to go to the bathroom between customers. Shoplifting is a big problem but so are employees not watching the store and talking on the phone or chatting with each other rather than giving good customer service to deter said shoplifters. I'm a firm believer in you get out of the employees what you are willing to put into their training and the way you treat them. Upper management should realize that, too.

Treat your store managers like adults and pay them accordingly.
    Assisstant managers should make more money, they are an integral part of a stores dynamics.
    Don't hire the first person that is interviewed for an upper management position just because you need a warm body to work.
    Quit being so stingy with the payroll and maybe you won't have issues with people working off the clock, committing time clock fraud, execution of tasks, and customers complaining about the wait times for piercing or being checked out. You will make more money when there are employees in the store to take care of the customers.

Don't Take The Job.....

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

They tell you about the benefits 6 paid holidays 5 personal days and 1 week of vacation.

Cons

what they don't tell you is x-mas eve & x-mas are your days off you have to work everyday the week of thanksgiving but thanksgiving that is your day off. You are required to work and 8 hour shift with noone else in the store to help you and told to go to the bathroom in the back room but leave the door open so you can hear if any customers come in they say they give you a break but how if you are the only one there. They change the store every weey due to markdowns and planograms but never give you extra hours. If someone calls and complains they don't even ask what happened in the store they just give the customer a gift card making you look like and idiot and until recentally the took back everything no time limit even if it was worn. They still take back earrings the someone has worn they just clean them with achocol. . If you worked more than 40 hours it was half time where your assistant made time and half even on holidays.

Go work in a store and do what you require all of the managers to do with the payroll you give them.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!