Claire's Stores

Updated February 25, 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Claire's as a part time during college

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the hang of things fairly quickly and are trained to pierce. They can be flexible with hours for those still in school. There are also opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The schedule is never consistent and people are in and out all the time. It can also get pretty repetitive at times so you need to be innovative and find things to keep you busy on slow days. Also, people want to bring their entire families when piercing a baby...be prepared.

Alright to boost your resume for another job

Current Employee - Third Key
    Current Employee - Third Key

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, and you're bound to find at least one person on your team that you like. Pay is better than some other jobs - not minimum wage.

Cons

Expected to do too much work in too little time, my store has 6 employees (45third key, 1 manager) and we only get 99 hours a week. So, minus the 40 my manager gets, that's only 49 hours to split between 5 people. Nearly impossible to take a week long vacation without getting written up because nobody wants to cover the shifts you usually take. Management sucks.

Stop playing the blame game. Third keys get crap from the SM for not having good enough sales (ads, put, $), because the DM blames the SM, and the RM blames the DM. It's a never-ending chain of blame. It's always someone's fault - it's obviously not that the average person doesn't intend to spend 18$ every time they come in (sarcasm). So stop blaming anyone that's below you, and start actually doing something about it. Actually care about your employees rather than being rude to them and telling them they need to do a better job without actually doing that better job. The goal average sale is 18$, and third keys constantly get crap when their ADS is below that. But then my DM came in to work an emergency shift, and she had a really low ADS. And then in part two of the blame game - if you're on register, low ADS is your fault bc you're the one ringing. If you're in the front, it's your fault for not getting people to buy more. They need to realize that kids don't usually come in packing 20's in their wallets.

Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Putting a smile on little girls faces.
    Flexible scheduling
    Challenging job

Cons

Work by yourself a lot
    Long shifts when it's busy trying to run the store
    High turnover

Give your stores more hours to properly staff their stores

Great starter job

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company for entry level workers to gain experience for future careers.

Cons

POS systems severely out of date.

Great first job

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Coworkers, space to grow, fun

Cons

Scheduling, short staff, not enough hours

Too much expected of one employee working a shift alone.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Friendly and fun environment where you get to interact with a lot of different types of people.

Cons

The company has a very high turnover. The company is so concerned with each store and employee going over their weekly hours, that it wasn't uncommon to work an entire shift by yourself. While being the only one working, you are expected to greet and help customers, pierce ears, ring up purchases, do returns and exchanges, help customers pick out products, accept delivery of shipment, open every box of shipment and sort it, try to get the new inventory out on the sales floor, maintain the store's clean and organized appearance, watch for theft, all while trying to upsell and reach an hourly sales goal. Being alone in a store in my opinion is putting employees at risk for danger.

overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

good discount, friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

little pay, working alone, slow traffic

maybe pay more, so we will stay longer.

Helpful to start learning retail, decent experience

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Learning how to open/close, doing paperwork in store, getting customer service experience

Cons

You really feel the corporate experience of the job and it becomes tedious at times

Low pay and not much career advancement, relax on the corporate standards

Great Company with lots of room to advance.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, and 401K.
    There are many opportunities to advance at the store level. As a Store Manager, I quickly went from SM, to SM Trainer, to Acting District Manager, to District Manager.

Cons

You have a very limited staff, which makes it difficult to take vacation and personal time. Also, due to the limited payroll hours you are given, many times your store will be left with one person running it. This makes it difficult to balance freight, customer service, and store presentations. As a district manager, it is challenging to follow up on tasks given to stores, in such a high pressure market. Unless you are very well liked by corporate, in certain situations you could find yourself in hot water.

About what you expect for a minimum wage job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out in retail. The work itself is not difficult, with the excepetion of ear piercing.

Cons

Management was always a total wreck. Never had the store together, had favorite employees they partied with, etc.This is obviously a location by location issue, but as I also worked for the sister company Icing, the issues were much the same. Young managers caring more about their personal life than the store they managed. Not much room for advancement within the store.
    I believe employees should be better trained for piercing ears. While I picked it up quickly, we had many poor piercers come through.

Claire's Stores Photos