Claire's Stores

Updated October 19, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 39 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

Loved the job, but hated the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice discounts
    nice room for promotion
    customers are fun

Cons

working with tons of tiny items
    unstable managers
    district managers were forceful at making leads travel to different stores, with no extra pay, or compensation on gas.
    managers dont work that much and leave it all to assistants
    managers can be gone for hours on end on breaks

depending on managers, they all were aways so different.
    Dont force employes to buy products and wear them if they do not like a specific product.
    I understand wearing something to inspire customers, but if its something i dont like wearing, like hats, its a waste of my money.

Managers need to be more like managers, train managers properly. Most of them are very lazy.

Upgrade the system ! Everything is pen and paper, and using calculator and a lot of hand written things. Never have I ever worked for a shop where everything is written down so much ! From daily goals, to schedules, ext ect.

A competitive pay rate would also be nice. I can not work in a high income state, and make min wage as a asst manager. you only seem to somewhat make money if you are a manager, if you are not then you are out of luck and need at least another job to survive. Bonuses are a joke at this company, and no benefits.

It was very stressful and exhausting.

Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are able to act silly on the job and had 50 percent off on all merchandise.

Cons

Most of the time you will be the only one in the store.

When someone follows company policy, they should not get a "talking" to. If it's policy then back it up management!

Plays Favorites, Too Demanding For the Pay

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% Discount, Fun, Meet lots of great people, benefits package fair, vacation and personal hours awesome!

Cons

As a manager: no work/life balance-always expected to be "on-call", corporate doesn't respond to problems in a timely matter, district manager total moron, plays favorites, no time to do what is expected and then you are put down for not getting it done, h.r. department is a joke, have unrealistic goals to meet, no security cameras or mirrors and you are responsible for shrink (impossible in a busy store!), no payroll hours, too much paperwork, no team work

Have one-on-one meetings with store teammates-find out how your district managers are running the district. Training could be greatly improved!!

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

Good for a young person starting in management. Good work/life balance for a retail management position.

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Average growth potential. Promote from within. Great discount. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate. High expectations with nothing provided to achieve them. You work by yourself most of the time. Can't leave the store during that time. No break room (microwave or fridge) provided. Have to deal with disrespectful kids a LOT. Materials needed for events required by the company are not provided.

You have to spend money to make money

micromanaged

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount
    Planograms are always fun to do

Cons

You have to work every weekend and close at least one of those days
    EXTREMELY micromanaged
    Competing with other managers for your time off, only 2/14-16 managers can be off at a time, plus there are so many black out periods you can barely pick time for your vacation
    Not every manager is treated fairly

Take a look at how some of your district managers treat their people. Leading through fear is not an effective way of management . Also, give your store managers more freedom- we are all treated like glorified key holders. Majority of the senior management preach "work life balance" during recruiting, no way. We have to work every single weekend and being able to use our paid time off is nightmare. Also, you have to give at least FOUR weeks notice just to use a personal day?? There is no room for career advancement and it is not worth the stress or the hassle. Other retailers do not see us store managers as quality material and most of them wouldn't consider hiring us.