Claire's Stores

Updated October 31, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 40 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount that makes it easy to buy their products. Once in a while you get to meet some sweet recurring customers and great coworkers. I have learned about how to run a store and deal with all types of people. This has greatly improved my customer service skills and management abilities.

Cons

Trying to advance has been difficult. Asking to be put on a development plan is like pulling teeth. I've been put in charge of the store several times including acting manager for another store. But just can't seem to get made into manager of my own store. It makes it hard to like this company. They have unrealistic goals at times with too many tasks to complete while still asking you to make sales plan and just focus on customers.

Stop expecting miracles. Not everything can always be done on time. Not all sales goals can be met. Make sure your district managers are actually capable of running a district and understand how the store/company works. People new to the Claire's life usually don't fully understand what it's like to run a store because they are always hired from outside the company. That is your downfall. If you hire from inside the company it will tend to succeed.

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

It was very stressful and exhausting.

Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are able to act silly on the job and had 50 percent off on all merchandise.

Cons

Most of the time you will be the only one in the store.

When someone follows company policy, they should not get a "talking" to. If it's policy then back it up management!