Claire's Stores

Updated November 18, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 40 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

I was a third key.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Helping young girls with accessories for prom and homecoming is very satisfying.

Cons

Black Friday sucks!!!! And can get quite boring at times

ok job to start

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discount co workers customer bonus prize for to top store for the most part easy work

Cons

pay rate, upper mang. sucked somewhat disrepectful long hours had to remodel store twice one

Decent experience. Terrible DM.

Former Employee - Third Key/Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Third Key/Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was above average, because I had some experience.
    3rd key is the best job, you have more responsibility but you are either opening or closing.
    Scheduling was wonderful, our manager was excellent at meeting everyone's needs.

Cons

DM pushed store managers too hard.
    We had to do all inventory large or small, ourselves which meant HOURS overnight twice a year!
    401K package was pretty terrible.

Fire associates who make the working environment unmanageable! We had a terrible 3rd key who was promoted by an ex store manager but our manager was too afraid to get rid of her since she complained A LOT to our DM, because she thought she knew it all. My store has since closed and she moved on, thankfully, she was a terror to work with.

n/a

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great employee discount on merchandise.

Cons

You have to work alone most of the time.

okay

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

had a quick interview. they really do check reference and your jobs.

Cons

the pay sucks. it slow

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Good for developing experience

Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun products and good employee discount. I had so many responsibilities in this job that it helped me in getting an even better position in another company with a higher pay.

Cons

Upper management is extremely critical. If you're hired as a 3rd key you have all the manager's responsibilities but none of the benefits. It's also hard to move up in the company. There is also a lot of theft so you have to do loss prevention as well. It was quite stressful working there but the real reason I left was because it didn't matter how hard I worked it never was appreciated by upper management.

Be more generous with your employees and offer them a better bonus. Also, it kills morale when the DM leaves angry voice mails for the entire district. If 8 out of 10 stores didn't pass their secret shops do you really think that leaving everyone a mean voicemail is going to inspire them to do better? If you treat your employees as equals rather than lording it over them you will probably have better output from them.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount that makes it easy to buy their products. Once in a while you get to meet some sweet recurring customers and great coworkers. I have learned about how to run a store and deal with all types of people. This has greatly improved my customer service skills and management abilities.

Cons

Trying to advance has been difficult. Asking to be put on a development plan is like pulling teeth. I've been put in charge of the store several times including acting manager for another store. But just can't seem to get made into manager of my own store. It makes it hard to like this company. They have unrealistic goals at times with too many tasks to complete while still asking you to make sales plan and just focus on customers.

Stop expecting miracles. Not everything can always be done on time. Not all sales goals can be met. Make sure your district managers are actually capable of running a district and understand how the store/company works. People new to the Claire's life usually don't fully understand what it's like to run a store because they are always hired from outside the company. That is your downfall. If you hire from inside the company it will tend to succeed.

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.