Claire's Stores Reviews

387 reviews filtered by
2.6
Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

1. So rewarding and so much fun!

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Fun and upbeat environment, fast pace, cute customers!

Cons

The hours aren't great, but they work with your schedule really well!

2. Store Managers

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts. Training was good.

Cons

Work alone for long periods of time.

3. Roller coaster ride

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Everyone from store manager to associate get paid vacation time, which is nice. The pay is decent and you get a 10 cent raise every 6 months with the company, if you're hired within guidelines.

Cons

The guidelines for third key are $7.50-$8.25 per hour. Well, I wasn't hired within guidelines. I got $8.60 an hour and my raise depended on my yearly review. Both of my reviews have been excellent, and my raise? 14 cents per hour. The environment seems awesome- and most people there love their job. But it's the caddiest company I've ever seen. There's so much drama, even if you're like me and keep your mouth shut and your head down. Each store is really small, too. So you're constantly working with. The same people with the same gossip and the same problems. Plus, since the store is so small, it's near impossible to move up. Especially if you're good at your job. The menager won't allow you to transfer to another store for a higher position because they don't want to lose an employee that does their job well.... Even if they're ready to move up!!!

Stop being caddy. It's not highschool, so grow up.

5. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great bonus program and great pay

Cons

You work a lot by yourself but I love working by myself.

If you are a high driven individual I would go for it!!

6. Not too bad for a first part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

There's roughly 8-10 members total so you get to know them pretty well. Unless it's holiday season (November - beginning January), you can get days off easily. Always something to do to keep you occupied.

Cons

It's easy to dislike a member. It's annoying to say the same ear piercing speech constantly (even if the next person already heard the speech, it's policy to repeat it to each customer). Recovering is terrible because everything's small. If you have a closing shift on a busy day, expect to be done about 1-2 hours after the mall closes. Be aware of secret shoppers.

7. Great place to work at in general, but management does require more experience.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The other employee's are great to work with and you get to meet a lot of unique people. Because Claire's is an international company, working there looks great on resume's. The work, while sometimes a lot, makes time go by faster. There are a lot of leadership opportunities as well. I'm a third key for one of the stores, which is part of the management team. Recently I have also been put in charge of our store's Celebrate program. Not only do I get to plan out celebrations for our staff and fun dress up days, I get to book parties in our store for customers who want to come in an hour before opening or after closing. I've also begun working on networking for our store by getting touch with other businesses' about promotions, displays and the like. Which again, looks amazing on resumes. Not to mention the interstore relations. If there is something at your store no one knows the answer to, you have access to dozens of other Claire's stores who will have an answer.

Cons

The only con's I can really think of is that for training, we were not given training hours. Instead, all of our training was done while assisting customers, meaning that it was broken up a lot and not all in order.

My advice to management would be to work on training hours, and that weather does have a huge impact on sales.

8. Never Again.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The only pro was the fact that I had one absolutely amazing coworker.

Cons

District management around my branch was absolutely awful. I left because my manager went haywire, wasn't working the hours she claimed, and she was reprimanding her employee's for no reason, and they allowed her to stay even after they found she lied about her hours.

Pay attention.

9. I worked at Claire's as a part time during college

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the hang of things fairly quickly and are trained to pierce. They can be flexible with hours for those still in school. There are also opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The schedule is never consistent and people are in and out all the time. It can also get pretty repetitive at times so you need to be innovative and find things to keep you busy on slow days. Also, people want to bring their entire families when piercing a baby...be prepared.

10. Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Putting a smile on little girls faces.
    Flexible scheduling
    Challenging job

Cons

Work by yourself a lot
    Long shifts when it's busy trying to run the store
    High turnover

Give your stores more hours to properly staff their stores

11. Alright to boost your resume for another job

Current Employee - Third Key
    Current Employee - Third Key

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, and you're bound to find at least one person on your team that you like. Pay is better than some other jobs - not minimum wage.

Cons

Expected to do too much work in too little time, my store has 6 employees (45third key, 1 manager) and we only get 99 hours a week. So, minus the 40 my manager gets, that's only 49 hours to split between 5 people. Nearly impossible to take a week long vacation without getting written up because nobody wants to cover the shifts you usually take. Management sucks.

Stop playing the blame game. Third keys get crap from the SM for not having good enough sales (ads, put, $), because the DM blames the SM, and the RM blames the DM. It's a never-ending chain of blame. It's always someone's fault - it's obviously not that the average person doesn't intend to spend 18$ every time they come in (sarcasm). So stop blaming anyone that's below you, and start actually doing something about it. Actually care about your employees rather than being rude to them and telling them they need to do a better job without actually doing that better job. The goal average sale is 18$, and third keys constantly get crap when their ADS is below that. But then my DM came in to work an emergency shift, and she had a really low ADS. And then in part two of the blame game - if you're on register, low ADS is your fault bc you're the one ringing. If you're in the front, it's your fault for not getting people to buy more. They need to realize that kids don't usually come in packing 20's in their wallets.

Claire's Stores Photos