Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great benefits ... can move up quick

Cons

Operation structure needs work, lots of tyrn over , training is an overload

Be prepared lots of turn over

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

A love hate relationship

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pay great benefits and holidays

Cons

Where do I start, too much tasking no matter how much you get done it's never enough. Horrible management treat you like crap and no matter how many Times you ask an upper level person to help they never do

Treat people to treat how you want to be treated

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

"For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Claire's for a year and a half. I started as a sales associate then I got promoted to key holder. The discount is good, and that's about it.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. If you want to work here then prepare to do all the work while the managers do nothing.

Assistant buyer

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

No pros what so ever. I would never work here again, even if I was paid a million dollars. Don't ever work here.

Cons

Worst company ever. No growth. No training. Technology is old school. Everyone looks out for themselves instead of working as a team.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Spends way too much money on upper management instead of efficient technology, training programs, and keeping employees long term.

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

The other managers were just awesome people. SO helpful and thank God because the DM does NOTHING. She tells you to call them if you have a question. God forbid she has to actually do her job and help a new manager, or anyone for that matter,

Cons

No breaks and if you dare have even one speck of food out by the cash wrap because you have been there for going on 6 hours with no bathroom break, no lunch break...nothing, you will be chastised and threatened that you can loose your job. Expected to eat on a closet with a toilet attached and hope to God no one comes into your store and steals from you. Couldn't close the door to pee even. Had to watch mirrors FROM THE TOILET!!!! Amazing right? The DM micro manages everyone, pits them against each other, calls people "weird" and "dumb" and "I don't like them" and some of them she had never even met. Said "I cant stand your crew and I hate your store" Comes in and makes a mess of the store then blames management on this or who ever the poor associate is that is working at the time. Had to pay for my own toilet paper and photo copy paper because when it didnt come in shipment, the DM wanted proof I ordered it, Really no...so that was her concern? Not that I was paying for it myself.

She never came to pick up damages in my closet of a back room aka the bathroom. Told me my store did not matter in the great scheme of things because it was not her show case store. SO if I needed anything fixed, it may just take a while. My training was a joke. 3 whole days with an awesome manager that did her very best to help me even after I was just thrown into the management position. Yes, only 3 days training people and I was given a store to run! WOW. The DM "maybe" spent a whole 3 hours with me after this actually helping, the rest was her making me feel horrible about my lack of knowledge, even laughing at the way the wall looked. When I asked what she was laughing and, her response was, "Oh nothing, you're just new" Yeah, that was helpful NOT!

She ran off all of my staff so in the end I was totally screwed so...I walked out. I have never in my life done such an thing and felt so justified. It was horrible, I cant even believe Katy Perry sells her exclusive line of products there. Someone really needs to enlighten her PR department abotu how badly the employees are actually treated at Claires. People are scared to even speak up because regardless, its a job and we all need one. To feel like you could loose your job because you have to eat and don't get a break sometimes ever btw, is just too much stress and aggravation And the constant pitting people against each other is just insane. Drama...the DM was just drama. .

Too bad. I was so excited when I got this job because I had been a customer for YEARS. Got my daughters ears pierced there too which by the way is another issue! I was never properly trained for that either!!!!!! SO think twice before getting you childs piercing done there! Plus, with the coverage of one person, imagine trying to pierce an infant or toddlers ears "right" with a store full of people!!!! Imagine trying not to get ripped off in the process as well!!!

Upper management needs to actually read and care when a store manager contacts them, which I did and they only tried to contact me once. We missed each other and I tried to respond and after that was ignored. They need to actually have some kind of resource to make sure their DMs are really working and being helpful. Not passing their duties off on the other store managers. I worked for a store that the home office called us all and asked us to rate our DM. CLAIRES YOU NEED THIS BADLY!!!!! Maybe not all were as bad as this one but in the long run, why is it management has an accountability system but the DMs who drive company cars and even refuse to pay mileage by the way when you need to pick product up from another store....why do they not? It makes for the most hostile scary work environment ever because managers are stuck with no one to go to when they are mistreated. Corporate needs to watch their DMS just as close as the numbers they so love to make sure we meet and maybe they would get better results!!!!!

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!