Claire's Stores

Updated September 26, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the job, but hated the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice discounts
    nice room for promotion
    customers are fun

Cons

working with tons of tiny items
    unstable managers
    district managers were forceful at making leads travel to different stores, with no extra pay, or compensation on gas.
    managers dont work that much and leave it all to assistants
    managers can be gone for hours on end on breaks

depending on managers, they all were aways so different.
    Dont force employes to buy products and wear them if they do not like a specific product.
    I understand wearing something to inspire customers, but if its something i dont like wearing, like hats, its a waste of my money.

Managers need to be more like managers, train managers properly. Most of them are very lazy.

Upgrade the system ! Everything is pen and paper, and using calculator and a lot of hand written things. Never have I ever worked for a shop where everything is written down so much ! From daily goals, to schedules, ext ect.

A competitive pay rate would also be nice. I can not work in a high income state, and make min wage as a asst manager. you only seem to somewhat make money if you are a manager, if you are not then you are out of luck and need at least another job to survive. Bonuses are a joke at this company, and no benefits.

Good company to work for, a little behind the times, very money focused.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount. Generally co-workers are fun and easy going. Flexible schedule. If you have a good district manager and store manager, it's a ton of fun.

Cons

Company requires lots of tasking. Benefits are OK. Low starting rate, even for very experienced employees. They are very "customer" focused but in reality it's about making the money. With the large amount of tasking required it's difficult to balance the customer/ tasking ratio. Payroll allocation is not very good, even in the high volume stores. 1:1 coverage in most stores on weekdays and very few opportunities to get decent hours due to lack of payroll hours allowed. Very high turn-over rate. In high volume stores lots of stress and many people put in LOTS of time off of the clock. Strict visual merchandising with very little room to "make it work." Claire's has lots of very different store styles and sizes which don't always allow for the Planogram to look like it should. If you try and fix things to your stores particular style a lot of the time you are reprimanded, unless you have an awesome DM. Merchandise distribution is a bit off and there are often issues with stores over/under receiving merchandise. Not directly related to the company, the customers that generally shop at Claire's are rude and the teens/tweens totally destroy they store and show little to no respect to the employee. There are also no tipping for outstanding customer service with ear piercings.

Higher pay to make all the work worth it. Allow more store level flexibility in order to make the store look nice and run well. We aren't stupid and can figure out how to solve a visual problem.

Claire's is a fun environment to work in but it gets tiring after a while.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things you acquire from Claire's is maturity and personal growth due to all of the responsibilities they leave you with. Starting pay for a third key holder was a bit above average and the employee discount is great!

Cons

District managers aren't the best, very demanding but not very helpful. Although starting pay is good, raises for hard work aren't really given. The amount of vacation time given to the employees who are not managers sucks.Corporate does so many promo changes too frequently and it becomes stressful for employees.

With the amount of responsibility each employee has I believe that raises should be given every so often to all employees who show good progress.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have

Fast-paced and Fun Retail Atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my co-workers were like one big family, for inexperienced associates the pay was better than minimum wage, as long as we requested off enough in advance the time was granted, nice employee discount, good communication built between store associates and district manager

Cons

The store gets very busy at time while being the only one working, the inventory scheduling as well as some planograms went over-night for the asm and sm, a lot of shoplifting, piercing ears of kids who do not want their ears pierced is awful, the pos system frequently was frozen and we were ordering new hardware (printer, credit card machine, etc..) every other week, and as asm I would would some 8 hour shifts alone with no relief for a break

The scheduling could be approved all around. There were not enough hours given to schedule efficiently. I would find myself staying over-night working on plan-on-gram, mark-downs, and inventory. Sometimes to keep from going over on the clock, but in order to get things done the manager and I would stay on our own time off the clock so that we could get things done that we couldn't during the day due to customer traffic. We were also not given enough hours to schedule breaks for those working 8+ hour shifts. I would sometimes work a 12 hour shift without a break due to the few employees we had there since we were limited on hires.

Love & Hate Relationship

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hour week, as a store manager you get paid overtime if you work over 40 hours, Fun environment, upper management paid well, company values, vacation time, sick time & personal time, most holidays off.

Cons

High volume=low payroll, 40 hr wk, because you get paid overtime if you work more than 40 hr, if you are busy with customers then you can't stay to work more to finish tasks, unless you are off the clock which is a no no.......

give your store more payroll, I know if had more time to schedule more overlapping coverage besides the weekends, then we wouldn't fall behind so easily.

Fine for starting off in retail..

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% Discount
    Management was easy to get a long with

Cons

Late Mall hours
    Part-time employees have their hours cut drastically during the slow season

Those who do their job well should be secured hours

A learning experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Miami, FL

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Since they are small stores, you can get really close to your coworkers. You get a great discount. The pay for management isn't terrible. The tasks are really easy once you get used to it. Really easy to move up in the company so you'l learn a lot.

Cons

In my district, the entire management was ridiculous and that trickled down difficulties. Understaffed, under payed for the amount of work we were expected to do, unappreciated entirely. You're expected to make that store your life.

Rehire the entire district in management. Appreciate the work the people in the actual store put in.

micromanaged

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount
    Planograms are always fun to do

Cons

You have to work every weekend and close at least one of those days
    EXTREMELY micromanaged
    Competing with other managers for your time off, only 2/14-16 managers can be off at a time, plus there are so many black out periods you can barely pick time for your vacation
    Not every manager is treated fairly

Take a look at how some of your district managers treat their people. Leading through fear is not an effective way of management . Also, give your store managers more freedom- we are all treated like glorified key holders. Majority of the senior management preach "work life balance" during recruiting, no way. We have to work every single weekend and being able to use our paid time off is nightmare. Also, you have to give at least FOUR weeks notice just to use a personal day?? There is no room for career advancement and it is not worth the stress or the hassle. Other retailers do not see us store managers as quality material and most of them wouldn't consider hiring us.

Too much pressure, too little pay.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The job duties are relatively simple, flexible hours, and there is a great store discount. A decent job if you're putting yourself through college, but not for an actual career.

Cons

Though the tasks are easy to do, there are so many that it becomes hard to keep up, especially if the team is slacking, the pay isn't enough for how much pressure is put on you, you're almost always working alone, and upper management is horrible.

Claire's breaks down individual and store sales by time increments. Because of this, one can see how often an employee has or has not been working on a register. The tool allows for district and regional managers to see who is truly working. They really need to look closely at these numbers. I worked at two locations where the store managers stayed on the clock, but were out shopping for any where up to three hours. The paperwork showed that they had no sales for these time spans, and nothing ever came of it. Simply put, they need to pay close attention.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!