Claire's Stores Reviews

Reset
2.7
Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Great employee discount on merchandise (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • If you trip to reach out to a district manager you would usually get zero help (in 36 reviews)

• Employees working alone with no assistance (in 33 reviews)

Enjoy never having any down time or work/life balance-Expect to work extra hard and get only criticism in return...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The first 3 years with this company were great but that was the "Old Claire's" as they tend to call it...Pros...getting 5 days personal is a good deal-IF you're lucky enough to be able to actually take them. Having xmas eve, xmas, and new years off is a plus, but then again it's not always a guarantee...

Cons

Where should we start? Not enough payroll so no matter how many tasks you gave your associates you always ended up working way over and stressing to get the job done (and they don't pay you enough for it). The people above me were overly critical-one piece of dust on a fixture and the whole visit was downhill from there no matter how much work you put into it. They were also very condescending in the way they would talk to me. There was NO respect, only criticism. It was very discouraging. You always have the paranoia that someone is watching you because of their "Beware there are secret shoppers in your area and corporate are local" scare tactics. You also have to spy on your employees as well by conducting "PM shops". The DSM was very deceitful and never followed through with me, but would instead do my store visits when I wasn't there, only to call me in on my days off. This company doesn't know whether it's coming or going half the time anymore-it felt like every week they would add something else for all managers to do-they would also change the way they would do something so often it confused a lot of us, so you'd ask someone to explain it to you, you'd figure it out-then you'd have another corporate visit only to find out they want you to do it a new way and you're criticized for having done it wrong...again. (very wishy-washy). You also feel like you're doing planograms (wall changes) every other week which is kind of ridiculous-it's never ending. The tasks they give you and the amount of time they give you to do them is almost impossible. It was always stressful-too stressful for retail work. Why I stuck around for 5 years is beyond me...I guess I just kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some RESPECT-we are ALL people, not just some little ants for you to step on. Positive re-enforcement really makes a difference. It makes the employees happy and happy employees make better sales people and harder workers...doesn't sound too hard, does it?!

2. Don't Take The Job.....

Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

They tell you about the benefits 6 paid holidays 5 personal days and 1 week of vacation.

Cons

what they don't tell you is x-mas eve & x-mas are your days off you have to work everyday the week of thanksgiving but thanksgiving that is your day off. You are required to work and 8 hour shift with noone else in the store to help you and told to go to the bathroom in the back room but leave the door open so you can hear if any customers come in they say they give you a break but how if you are the only one there. They change the store every weey due to markdowns and planograms but never give you extra hours. If someone calls and complains they don't even ask what happened in the store they just give the customer a gift card making you look like and idiot and until recentally the took back everything no time limit even if it was worn. They still take back earrings the someone has worn they just clean them with achocol. . If you worked more than 40 hours it was half time where your assistant made time and half even on holidays.

Advice to Management

Go work in a store and do what you require all of the managers to do with the payroll you give them.

Worst Place to Work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Vacation hours are earned easily 50% off merchandise

Cons

Working 6-13 hours alone. Personal time, safety and health is not a concern for them. Too many blackout dates. You cant request off from the end of Oct to the end of Jan, spring break and etc. You are required to work 6 day work weeks and only have the actual holiday off if the mall is closed. Several employees,including myself have been in car accidents and etc and still expected to come to work and hop around on crutches or soft casts. They dont care if your dying as long as the store is open. I was in the hospital and was told it was up to me to find coverage for my store. DM threatens to fire you if you close the store to use the restroom or take a break. DM only looks out for herself,even lying to upper mgmt and blaming you on corporate visits. DM never answering calls because she feels that your call wasnt important enough. Also,stating that she doesnt have time because she has 16 stores and almost 70 employees to deal with. DM lives 2 states away so she neglects your store. Your accused of not doing your job when 6 kids or adults come in and scatter about and steal while your doing a piercing. Expected to keep the store in immaculate condition while 3 year olds vomit on the floor and the parents walk away. You are expected to constantly clean and stock whenever people arent in the store(including cleaning the baseboards,ceiling lights and actual ceiling). Shoplifters returning to fight you because you called the police on them. You are considered a security guard,housekeeper,pest control expert,cashier,merchandiser and etc all for $7.- $9 an hour. Floor changes every month,sign changes/promotions every 2 weeks. Lack of respect from all upper management. Unprofessional attributes(if you tell your DM something in confidence she will tell everyone in the district) I performed Store Manager duties for Assistant pay. All managers were not given raises last year because of a supposed raise freeze and the raise this year didnt include the amount you should ve gotten last year. High turnover. No proper training provided. I was given a policy and procedure manual and put in the backroom to train myself for 2 weeks. DM tells you to do something and will forget,then will curse you out for doing it. Lots of unnecessary paperwork to read only to get more the next week telling you to not do what was sent the week before. Conference call every week going over the paperwork that was sent out the week before and the DM hasnt read any of it and is not prepared for the call. DM mainly works from home and dogs are always barking and fighting in the background during the conference call. Not guaranteed hours unless you are a store manager. If you are a store manager and work over 40 hours in a week you only make $2-$4 an hour for anything over that. If a employee quits and you are required to work over 40 hours you cant use your vacation time. I lost 50 hours once the year ended because I was forced to work 45 hours a week for 4 months. Upper management doesnt care that you have to work (4) 12 hour shifts in a row. HR associate is always rude when you call for help or to report a issue.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring non qualified people just to have a "body in the store". Treat your employees with more respect.

5. Horrible

Current Employee - Third Key in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Third Key in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Good employee discounts, tons of sales

Cons

Lack of communication, stores not being run properly, breaks unable to be taken, there's tons more

Advice to Management

Better staffing, hiring, interviewing, pay, coverage, communication, there's a lot more there too

6. Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Help people find merchandise on floor

Cons

you can only wear leggings

Advice to Management

If your going to be manager act like one and dont have a bad attitude with costumers

Could have been a fun place to work, but after my experiences, I would never work here again or suggest it to anyone.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

The discount is ok. And managers get New Year's Eve and Day off. Ear Piercing is the most fulfilling part of the job.

Cons

Managers will work 8 hours shifts with no lunch break. Not enough payroll hours are given for double coverage throughout the week. They expect you to complete 80 million tasks all at once. For example, we were given an Earring Tree plan-o-gram the week of Spring Break. Shipment is received everyday and it's 10 more pieces of an item that you already have a stockroom full of. There is too much contradiction between H.O. and District managers. The company just doesn't seem to have it all together.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We're not complaining because we're lazy or we don't want to do something. We're complaining because there are actual problems that need to be addressed and resolved. There's a reason why the company has high turnover.

8. If you want a job where you feel like a number..go for it!

Former Employee - Third Key in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Third Key in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Flexible hours Working with people Employee discount Day goes by quicker because you're constantly busy If you like to work alone this is the job for you

Cons

Managers and DMs aren't very nice or helpful. Your training consists of watching a couple videos and taking tests on them and after that you're on your own. Your hard work is never good enough because you're constantly having to raise your ADS and UPT. If you don't make your sales your hours get cut down until they basically don't exist. They want you to quit but they don't want to fire you! Catty atmosphere where anything you make a mistake on or don't get finished gets you written up. It is quite frankly a scary place to work! You definitely get snide remarks if you're not dressed like you're going out on a friday night, and leave it to the managers to have you ring up someone who only buys something for 5.00 so that their ADS and UPT don't drop but yours will!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. Encourage them and tell them how to do better instead of just running them off for actually trying to help people get what they want instead of stuffing more unnecessary things down their throat just to make an extra buck.

9. Horrible

Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

work with kids, pierce ears, discount, mall,

Cons

Environment. company, manager, DSM, policy

Advice to Management

Fire our manager

10. Do it if you absolutely have to, but not recommended

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning to pierce ears, 50% discount

Cons

Whiny kids all day long, and jewelry getting tangled up everywhere. Upper management will fire a whole store if 1 person is stealing

Advice to Management

Actually spend time hearing your employees concerns and investigate loss in store before firing everyone

Crappy pay for major responsibilities

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, AL

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job. If you have ever worked retail and know how to handle customers, this job is cake. Suggestive selling is a huge part of the job, and staying on top of new trends will help with sales.

Cons

You have to remember how to open and close on your own after only doing it once or twice. I really mean after doing it only once or twice. You are expected to do it in 45 minutes too. Vaccum, clean the store, count down registers, fill out budget sheet, time sheet and operations report. If you take too long to do it, they will take away the 15 min of bank time that you are supposed to get for driving to the bank and dropping off the deposit. Complete BULL****. Oh, and Claire's will jack your pay of you don't keep an eye on your payroll slips. Ear piercing training is a major joke! You are expected to watch a dvd (in store while handling customers, so you never really get to watch it with your full attention) and then "assist" in a piercing. I was made to help pierce a babies ears, I hadn't watched the dvd or practiced on the fabled foam ears that Claire's tells you to practice on, so I was very nervous and upset because I had never done such a thing before. The ear piercing station is completely unsanitary and half of the employees do not follow the sanitation rules. I don't know about all the other stores, but the ones in my region are also very bad about expecting you to work off the clock, which is illegal, but none of the people doing it will turn Claire's in. Home office will give you 3 days to reset the entire look and location of items in the store, but you are not allowed to do it during business hours (it is an unspoken trend to do it during business hours) and you are only given 9 hours over the 3 days to do it before or after business hours. So, you have 1,300 items to move around in the store, and you have 3 hours each day for 3 days to do it. It is harder than it seems, I promise. Even my store manager thinks it's impossible and she has been doing it for years. Also, thieves are huge at Claire's, and you have to always be on the lookout for them. None of the store cameras work, so if you say you saw someone taking something, you better make sure that you watch them the whole time (hard if it's the weekend).

Advice to Management

Train your employees better, like an entire week of actual training. Get every store a portable dvd player because you can not watch those training dvds during store hours!!! Train on ear piercing better, especially on how to get them even. Install actual cameras, or door sensors, it would really help.

RSS Feed </> Embed