Claire's Stores

Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

A job for someone in High School

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

The discount is 50% off. If you like to stand around doing nothing then you'll like it. If you want very few hours then you will like it.

Cons

The schedule is made to benefit the store, not you. You will find yourself coming in the middle of the day for four hours. You will get ridiculous schedules: 19 hours a week divided into four days. Such a waste of time. The most hours I have ever gotten was 23. But it will range from 10 hours to about 15. If you are closing at 6:30pm you must do all paperwork, vacuum the entire store, recover, throw out the trash, count down the drawers, and deposit the money at the bank. You must be done by 7pm. They will only pay you until seven. Our bathroom has roaches and we have to eat in a closet. I have worked 8 hours with no break. They do not pay you for break. This whole company sucks.

Pay your employees right. Allow more hours. Give paid breaks or at least a space to eat.

Was fantastic until managment changed.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic 50% off Claire's and Icing. Theme Weekends you get an additional 10% off. Any precious metals, CDs, magazines, and ear piercings with 14kt gold you only get 25% off. No store discount on top of sale prices but awesome clearance events ($2 clearance / $5 handbags) and some great normal promotions.

Cons

The company itself drags its feet on situations. Very small staff 5 people in a store at the least and that is 4 managers (Store Manager, Assistant Manager, and 2 Third Keys) and one sales associate. Asking for days off is kind of tricky, store manager gives days off to the person she is closest to even though you requested the day off two weeks in advance. Management does not work with other work schedules. District as a whole needs to be staffed better. Get calls from stores ALL the time for coverage at another store. When you work at another store you should get paid mileage but you aren't even offered. Unrealistic goals sometimes for sales and personal goals. Having a perfect ADS is all everyone is worried about.

Awful company

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount...not much else to get out of working there.

Cons

Tiny space and too much shipment means the store or stockroom is always a mess. Extremely low pay...as a key holder I made 50 cents more than sales associates that made minimum wage & I did the same amount of work as the assistant managers. Your schedule will change at the last minute, the customers are often rude and high volume stores get wrecked on a nightly basis. All the stores in my area lived in fear of the district manager who expected more than was even possible from part time poorly paid workers. High turnover rate. I lasted 5 months

Treat employees better

This was the worst working experience I have ever had.

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

??? The only one I can think of is that some of the girls who work there were nice.

Cons

-we went through at least 15 employees in the 6 months I worked there. More than one quit on their first day.
    -you take the blame for everything, even when it is beyond your control, it's your fault
    - incredibly poor training
    - management not listening to customer complaints
    - just an unpleasant atmosphere
    - dropping the deposit off at an unsafe location
    - not enough keys for key holders

Pay attention to who you hire for managers, assistant managers and third keys. Make sure training is done properly and find out why employees quit, because in this store it was all for the same reason.

Worst company & DM EVER overworked underpaid!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ear piercing, running own shift, making schedules, hiring, adding on, new merchandise, customers, making friends

Cons

No breaks, low pay, horrible district manager, horrible human resources, teenagers steal too much, racist company

Dont try and fire the manager to a number 1 store in the company because youre jealous that you couldnt bonus and I did! Do onto others as you wish to be done onto.

Awful company, awful coworkers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Employee Discount, trained to pierce ears.

Cons

The store I worked at is run by 24 year old girl who acted 10 and stamped her feet when things didn't go her way. I was an assistant manager and was treated like a sales associate most days. In the 4 months I worked there our store only made it in the positives ONCE. If we didn't make plan or beat LY it was because we didn't push hard enough. They wanted me to to place merchandise into people's baskets and force them to buy items they didn't want. The SM and DM cared more about your ADS and UPT than if you actually made the company money or not. My SM always had $25+ ADS and ALWAYS rubbed it in and made you feel incompetent. The rules for wearing jeans and always having at least 5 accessories on while working is retarded. I wasn't allowed to wear my Sketchers because they were "too much like an athletic shoe" so I was forced to wear the most uncomfortable shoes that were within the "dress to impress" guidlines. The last straw for me was when I called in and told them I wouldn't be in due to icy roads and bad weather, SM basically said "show up to work or lose your job." I was also the oldest one there and the only one with kids so I felt really out of place when I worked, this job is not for anyone over the age of 23. Was so happy when I walked out. I felt like 100 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. Only job I ever worked where if you worked 8 hours you only got 1 break. The girls I worked with were very clique-ish.

Stop focusing so much on ADS and UPT.

Absolutely appalling! Appalling treatment of staff

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount but the products are cheap and nasty

Cons

Expected to drop everything to work extra hours, extremely difficult to get any time off, days off change at a few hours notice, dress to sell is gross - socks I had to wear for Christmas went back out to customers, extremely unhygienic and revolting. Training isn't sufficent. Appalling attitude towards staff.

Get your act together, this is the 21st century and staff are treated with no respect whatsoever, I was bullied and victimised in the work place and left very stressed and upset.

Started as good company became worse after 2011

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pretty okay medical, good employee discounts, meet lot of different people and fun to be around the kids.

Cons

They care nothing about there employees that been with the company for years. They overly pressure you, and the pay is horrible for what they expect from you. The raises are horrible 25 cents or less every year. They hire outside of company instead of giving those who have worked for the company for years a higher position

Learn to develop your employees who been with the company for year's instead of treating them like crapm

Awful

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Cute merchandise great discount, helping people

Cons

Regional manager sucks, not enough hours for what is expected of the company, they don't have the best ear piercing station

Stop treating employees like animals

It wasn't my favorite

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores.

Cons

The people I worked with were cliquey and rude to me and to the customers. We didn't have a lot of direction and they always made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

Give employees tasks instead of just having them stand there

Claire's Stores Photos