Claire's Stores

Updated September 26, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Third Key in Dallas, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Was not promised the hours that I was promised in the Interview.

Hold your managers to their word.

Retail is Retail

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is always changing, you're always getting new customers so theres always new people

Cons

The amount of work they expect based off the pay is horrible, Your store manager and DM don't care about you much.

Too much drama and no management in sight

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a good job to get your foot in the door in regards to retail. They teach you to up sell, make customers relations and actually work for your sales. When you work hard it actually shows and you can take pride in that.

Cons

Was pretty much told that I can be replaced at anytime but someone younger, cuter and would take less pay. The mangers (regional and store) couldn't care less about in store problems. Such as assistant managers acting the part of managers, stealing sales from other associates sales, gossip, harassment (both sexual and mental).

My suggestion to management would be to listen to your employees when they come to you in confidence with a situation. Not to tell them to get over it and do your job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst job i've ever had

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% off but even then its overpriced low quality acccessories

Cons

Theres no training. At all. And you're expected to pierce ears (babies and young children included). No incentive to pierce. Ridiculous deadlines for planograms, markdowns. Closing is a real pain. Lots of paperwork and make sure not to take longer than the allocated time (which is hard when you're not getting any training), you won't get paid for the extra time. They give you on calls shifts (good luck making plans). DM are bullies, they will show up anytime and will expect you to suck up to them . . If you don't you can be sure she'll tell your manager. They have fabourites, if you're not one of them anything you do won't be good enough. Store is understaffed (it seems they can't retain their employees for some reasons) and the workload is way too high considering the barely above minimum wage. Not enough payroll, they will cut your hours. Or give you too much when an employee leaves (which happens frequently). High employee turnover. Low standards. They will hire you as a keyholder as long as you're over 18. They want you to stalk and harass customers constantly into buying while they're shopping. Yet again, no incentives. The company is so unorganized, the list goes on and on.

Assistant buyer

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

No pros what so ever. I would never work here again, even if I was paid a million dollars. Don't ever work here.

Cons

Worst company ever. No growth. No training. Technology is old school. Everyone looks out for themselves instead of working as a team.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Spends way too much money on upper management instead of efficient technology, training programs, and keeping employees long term.

"For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Claire's for a year and a half. I started as a sales associate then I got promoted to key holder. The discount is good, and that's about it.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. If you want to work here then prepare to do all the work while the managers do nothing.

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

The other managers were just awesome people. SO helpful and thank God because the DM does NOTHING. She tells you to call them if you have a question. God forbid she has to actually do her job and help a new manager, or anyone for that matter,

Cons

No breaks and if you dare have even one speck of food out by the cash wrap because you have been there for going on 6 hours with no bathroom break, no lunch break...nothing, you will be chastised and threatened that you can loose your job. Expected to eat on a closet with a toilet attached and hope to God no one comes into your store and steals from you. Couldn't close the door to pee even. Had to watch mirrors FROM THE TOILET!!!! Amazing right? The DM micro manages everyone, pits them against each other, calls people "weird" and "dumb" and "I don't like them" and some of them she had never even met. Said "I cant stand your crew and I hate your store" Comes in and makes a mess of the store then blames management on this or who ever the poor associate is that is working at the time. Had to pay for my own toilet paper and photo copy paper because when it didnt come in shipment, the DM wanted proof I ordered it, Really no...so that was her concern? Not that I was paying for it myself.

She never came to pick up damages in my closet of a back room aka the bathroom. Told me my store did not matter in the great scheme of things because it was not her show case store. SO if I needed anything fixed, it may just take a while. My training was a joke. 3 whole days with an awesome manager that did her very best to help me even after I was just thrown into the management position. Yes, only 3 days training people and I was given a store to run! WOW. The DM "maybe" spent a whole 3 hours with me after this actually helping, the rest was her making me feel horrible about my lack of knowledge, even laughing at the way the wall looked. When I asked what she was laughing and, her response was, "Oh nothing, you're just new" Yeah, that was helpful NOT!

She ran off all of my staff so in the end I was totally screwed so...I walked out. I have never in my life done such an thing and felt so justified. It was horrible, I cant even believe Katy Perry sells her exclusive line of products there. Someone really needs to enlighten her PR department abotu how badly the employees are actually treated at Claires. People are scared to even speak up because regardless, its a job and we all need one. To feel like you could loose your job because you have to eat and don't get a break sometimes ever btw, is just too much stress and aggravation And the constant pitting people against each other is just insane. Drama...the DM was just drama. .

Too bad. I was so excited when I got this job because I had been a customer for YEARS. Got my daughters ears pierced there too which by the way is another issue! I was never properly trained for that either!!!!!! SO think twice before getting you childs piercing done there! Plus, with the coverage of one person, imagine trying to pierce an infant or toddlers ears "right" with a store full of people!!!! Imagine trying not to get ripped off in the process as well!!!

Upper management needs to actually read and care when a store manager contacts them, which I did and they only tried to contact me once. We missed each other and I tried to respond and after that was ignored. They need to actually have some kind of resource to make sure their DMs are really working and being helpful. Not passing their duties off on the other store managers. I worked for a store that the home office called us all and asked us to rate our DM. CLAIRES YOU NEED THIS BADLY!!!!! Maybe not all were as bad as this one but in the long run, why is it management has an accountability system but the DMs who drive company cars and even refuse to pay mileage by the way when you need to pick product up from another store....why do they not? It makes for the most hostile scary work environment ever because managers are stuck with no one to go to when they are mistreated. Corporate needs to watch their DMS just as close as the numbers they so love to make sure we meet and maybe they would get better results!!!!!

Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NONE this job sucks run for the hills

Cons

No lunch break no 15 minute break worst job RUN for the hills over worked and pay sucks

Come work in a store for one day

Just dont.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Um. You get a 50 percent discount

Cons

I was frequently in the top 10 percent of my district, but my district manager called me a "r e t a r d" in front of other managers(I left 6 voice mails for hr and never got a call back) because I voiced my opinion on lack of flexibility (you can only use vacation 30 weeks out of the year, and even then, they can still deny you if the store is understaffed), lack of breaks (seriously, I got less than 10 paid breaks in the 2 years I was there), being forced to cover shifts if someone called in (if you opened the store and the closer calls in sick, you must find someone to cover it, or close the store. If not, you get written up), frequently working alone, and poor pay for work expectations. Oh, and they shorted/messed up 7 of my last 9 paychecks.

Kicking you when your Down

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts only, that is about it

Cons

Vacation and personal days are rarely able to use due to always expecting to be in the buisness. Having way to many jobs to complete, paperwork to do, keeping up with frieght, hopeing that todays workers will actually show up for there jobs, recruit on a DAILY basis not just weekly, Throwing new things at employees on a weekly basis's as well, update mall websites, host one ear piercing princess event a month, must host one celebrate party a month with not contributions from company. Set up secret shops on store everyweek, use your off time to wait and do night checks. Expect unreliable employees to actually fallow through with what there tought when they dont and your not there you have to do it, Have conversation with said employee when you actually see them next week since there is not enough payroll to have two people on at once. Why turnover takes so long to fill positions because others get sick of having to work days that they work at other jobs because there isn't enough hours to train so they just walk out and leave. When you hold people accountable the way the company wants they turn and walk out no two week notice. Leaving Managers to not have a personal life.

Allow management a set monday through sunday set schedual improving the management moral, allow third keys set scheduals to allow for much easier and quick fillment of positions that become vacant to part time management to equire other employement or schooling objectives to help compinsate the lack of hours recieved due to payroll cuts. Stop the negativity don't say one thing then turn and say another in a form of a paper. Cut out the extra junk, Some things just don't matter and are a waste of time that cause more of a headache and Anxiety. If the customer is top priority then don't make additional reaports mandatory, we understand there usage but when you add too many its overwhealming. Stop trying to change things to Stream line, When i first started with this company things were more predictable on changes which allowed for a quicker promo changes and stocking. Sometimes oldschool is the way to go, RM coming in and harping on managers for DORs not completely rolled out usually is due to things they can't handle all the other paperwork why add more to them untill they reach that level. A jobs should not cause mental and exhaustion to ones health. When employees start to have panik attacks at work because the transactions arent meeting goals and your can see a decline in mall traffic and are doing everything in you posistion possible with all the responsibilites given is a joke. Emails coming daily saying you pretty much suck daily doesn't help a stores moral specially at the start of the buisness day. NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY TO REACH EVERY EMPLOYEE. Store managers consistantly giving up holidays un aware if stores will open. Lack of qualified applications coming through the door, Other stores recruitting your employees offering more money and more hours. Can't get other to come work for you as they would always be taking a pay cut. Take a walk through malls LOOK AT THE NOW HIRING SIGHNS THERE IS A REASON EVERYONE IS LEAVING RETAIL, YOUR BLAMING THE WRONG PEOPLE AND PUTTING MONEY INTO THINGS THAT WONT MAKE YOU MONEY. IF YOUR RM ARE SITTING THERE SAYING THAT WE ARE REPLACEABLE AFTER BRINGING THE MORAL DOWN TO BEGIN WITH MAKING OUR HOPES ONE DAY BECOMING A DM NO LONGER POSSIBLE AND EXPECTING RESULTS WE QUESTION WHY ARE WE GIVING UP OUR TIME FOR LESS PAY THEN OTHER STORES MANAGERS, MISSING IMPORTANT LIFE CHANGING FAMILY EVENTS, NOT BEING ABLE TO FURTHER OUR EDUCATION HAVING TO BE AT THE STORE AT ANY GIVEN SAID MOMENT. HOPE YOUR HOLIDAYS ARE NICE OURS ARE ALWAYS PUT ON HOLD. IF WE CANT FURTHER OUR CAREER WHY DO WE WANT TO CONTINUED TO BE TREATED LIKE CRAP IN A JOB WE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO BUY HOMES OR FEEL WE ARE ACTUALLY LIVING OUR LIFE. GIVE MANAGERS OFFICE HOURS TOO WITH ALL THE REPORTS AND BOOKS HAVING TO BE LOOKED OVER WE NEED A PLACE THAT IS UNDISTRACTING TO COMPLETELY ACKNOWLEGE THESE TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS AND FIX EMPLOYEE ERRORS..

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!