Claire's Stores Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Boss

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Meet a lot of people

Cons

Boring when working alone, no where to grow

Advice to Management

Give me something

Third Key Holder

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few pros with working with this company which include: a great 50% off discount, being in the know of current trendy fashion, new product almost daily so the environment never gets boring, gaining the ability to pierce ears, and a dress code that encourages you to be yourself.

Cons

Overall with my work experience the cons out-weigh the pros by far. The company expects more and more out of the employees with giving the same pay, less hours, pilling on the task completion, wanting an increase in sales and customer interaction, having single coverage throughout the week, and no encouragement to do better.
    The company often cuts hours during the current week while already running on sparse coverage. The more I work here the more I feel less like a human and more like a slave for Claire's. They call our customers our "friends" but treat the employees like dirt. Any small reason they find to scold us they will, but yet when goals are being met and beyond nothing is said. They give no encouragement or reward for hard work, only punishment when they feel we aren't performing high enough. It just keeps getting worse and worse as the months go by.
    We have to do stock, clean the store, pierce the ears of screaming children, constantly pick up after messy unsupervised kids, ring sales, take night deposits often alone, keep up with sales, ADS, UPT, greet customers, do customer follow-up, and whatever else the district decides to through at us. They make the environment very stressful and suck all the fun out what I feel the job really could be.
    In my store I'm lucky enough to have great people to work with or I would not be there. We all feel that the company does not treat us well and are all wanting to get out as-soon-as-possible looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not happy. You need to start listening to them more. Happy employees will increase sales not the constant pilling of tasks and expectations with so little coverage. Making an employee excited to work is the best way to drive your sales. But so many of us are dragging our feet to clock in and counting down the time for us to clock back out. Stop with the single coverage throughout peek times during the day. I have had so many people get mad at me because I am trying to pierce a fussy child's ears while they are waiting to check out. Also with single coverage, a lot of ear-piercings walk-out. Either because they don't want to wait or because they want a double done and that's not an option with one worker. That's why eps have gone so down this year in my opinion. Our dm suggested we go out to daycares and preschools to drive ep sales. That is so unacceptable to ask of employees. That is time off the clock and if we wreck the company would not take responsibility because it was on our own time. The new CEO is a joke in my opinion. :)

3. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Promote mostly from within which is nice

Cons

DSMs don't visit enough to know whats happening in stores and say you must not be doing anything if you aren't making money but in reality you've only had three people come in all day.

Advice to Management

Treat your managers better and be more supportive than nasty to them.

5. Good entry level job

Former Employee - Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun atmosphere. This was a part-time job while I was in college - it was perfect for me at the time.

Cons

Some merchandise is not the best quality. I didn't like piercing little kids' ears. I think there should be more guidance/training before doing ear piercing.

Advice to Management

It has a good business model. Province more structure around key activities (such as piercing). Planograms, store layout, etc are all easy to follow.

6. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible Hours
    -Not very stressful.

Cons

-Depending on the location, you will not receive a great number of hours. Managers get 40 and sometimes I will get 30.
    -The communication is not a strong as it could be.

Advice to Management

Ensure that there is a clear understanding between you and upper management. Never feel that you can not ask questions and keep a paper trail. Make sure that you write down the things that you do. Also, the upper management needs to be more accountable.

7. Doesn't pay much

Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with the girls we work as a family and it's amazing

Cons

Being on my feet for 4 hours is hard and carrying a lot of stuff is also hard

Advice to Management

Give more hours

8. Good First Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-50% off discount
    -Short hours

Cons

-Long periods with nothing to do
    -Store has too much stuff, it gets cramped

9. You'll enjoy the job, but it's not something you'd want to stay at for the long run.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colonial Heights, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colonial Heights, VA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company sends out monthly emails telling you what's trending, what the celebrities are wearing, and sections of how-to's. You get to market the products yourself sometimes and it can be really fun helping out finding matching jewelry from prom season.

Cons

There's so much to do when planogram comes out. Sometimes you are switching the entire store back to what it was exactly two months before. Stock room can get messy if you're not selling product quick enough and when the 10 for 10 sale comes, don't expect to be selling much off of the walls.

10. The good and the bad

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my team that I worked with, loved the discount, and really liked having control over my schedule as a store manager.

Cons

Low wages for the amount of work they wanted from a SM, not a lot of support from upper management, and not enough payroll hours for planograms, having two people close 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Increase payroll hours for major planograms happening in stores, increase payroll hours to have let all stores have two people closing at least Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, make sure DMs are supporting all their stores and not just their top volumes, increase pay for your full and part timers based on: experience, volume, and responsibilities.

11. It Depends

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

it was an okay job. It really depends on your coworkers since its such a small store.

Cons

Sales tactics can be a bit intense, but it depends on your manager honestly.

RSS Feed </> Embed