Claire's Stores

Updated September 26, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, which helps, considering the jewelry will start to turn brown/green after a few times wearing it.

Cons

There is no real training and the district manager wants to micro-manage and play favorites. There is no expectation of uniformity throughout the district. The goals and expectations are usually highly unobtainable and the amount of work expected from one individual is impossible.

Having district managers that are very self-involved and critical does not help grow sales and strong leaders.

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

The other managers were just awesome people. SO helpful and thank God because the DM does NOTHING. She tells you to call them if you have a question. God forbid she has to actually do her job and help a new manager, or anyone for that matter,

Cons

No breaks and if you dare have even one speck of food out by the cash wrap because you have been there for going on 6 hours with no bathroom break, no lunch break...nothing, you will be chastised and threatened that you can loose your job. Expected to eat on a closet with a toilet attached and hope to God no one comes into your store and steals from you. Couldn't close the door to pee even. Had to watch mirrors FROM THE TOILET!!!! Amazing right? The DM micro manages everyone, pits them against each other, calls people "weird" and "dumb" and "I don't like them" and some of them she had never even met. Said "I cant stand your crew and I hate your store" Comes in and makes a mess of the store then blames management on this or who ever the poor associate is that is working at the time. Had to pay for my own toilet paper and photo copy paper because when it didnt come in shipment, the DM wanted proof I ordered it, Really no...so that was her concern? Not that I was paying for it myself.

She never came to pick up damages in my closet of a back room aka the bathroom. Told me my store did not matter in the great scheme of things because it was not her show case store. SO if I needed anything fixed, it may just take a while. My training was a joke. 3 whole days with an awesome manager that did her very best to help me even after I was just thrown into the management position. Yes, only 3 days training people and I was given a store to run! WOW. The DM "maybe" spent a whole 3 hours with me after this actually helping, the rest was her making me feel horrible about my lack of knowledge, even laughing at the way the wall looked. When I asked what she was laughing and, her response was, "Oh nothing, you're just new" Yeah, that was helpful NOT!

She ran off all of my staff so in the end I was totally screwed so...I walked out. I have never in my life done such an thing and felt so justified. It was horrible, I cant even believe Katy Perry sells her exclusive line of products there. Someone really needs to enlighten her PR department abotu how badly the employees are actually treated at Claires. People are scared to even speak up because regardless, its a job and we all need one. To feel like you could loose your job because you have to eat and don't get a break sometimes ever btw, is just too much stress and aggravation And the constant pitting people against each other is just insane. Drama...the DM was just drama. .

Too bad. I was so excited when I got this job because I had been a customer for YEARS. Got my daughters ears pierced there too which by the way is another issue! I was never properly trained for that either!!!!!! SO think twice before getting you childs piercing done there! Plus, with the coverage of one person, imagine trying to pierce an infant or toddlers ears "right" with a store full of people!!!! Imagine trying not to get ripped off in the process as well!!!

Upper management needs to actually read and care when a store manager contacts them, which I did and they only tried to contact me once. We missed each other and I tried to respond and after that was ignored. They need to actually have some kind of resource to make sure their DMs are really working and being helpful. Not passing their duties off on the other store managers. I worked for a store that the home office called us all and asked us to rate our DM. CLAIRES YOU NEED THIS BADLY!!!!! Maybe not all were as bad as this one but in the long run, why is it management has an accountability system but the DMs who drive company cars and even refuse to pay mileage by the way when you need to pick product up from another store....why do they not? It makes for the most hostile scary work environment ever because managers are stuck with no one to go to when they are mistreated. Corporate needs to watch their DMS just as close as the numbers they so love to make sure we meet and maybe they would get better results!!!!!

"For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Claire's for a year and a half. I started as a sales associate then I got promoted to key holder. The discount is good, and that's about it.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. If you want to work here then prepare to do all the work while the managers do nothing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant buyer

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

No pros what so ever. I would never work here again, even if I was paid a million dollars. Don't ever work here.

Cons

Worst company ever. No growth. No training. Technology is old school. Everyone looks out for themselves instead of working as a team.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Spends way too much money on upper management instead of efficient technology, training programs, and keeping employees long term.

Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NONE this job sucks run for the hills

Cons

No lunch break no 15 minute break worst job RUN for the hills over worked and pay sucks

Come work in a store for one day

Great place to work if you don't mind the kids

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They promote within and is often encouraged if performance is consistent.
    Great potential for Bonus during Christmas season. Employee discount is half off almost everything except piercing.

Cons

Difficult to maintain school and work schedule if in management. 80 percent of the time, work schedule is priority over requests again if in management. Sales associates have more flexbility in their schedule but is dependent on the black out periods. Unrealistic deadlines are set for Plano grams in high volume stores over and over again.

Monthly training or seminars would be great for managers to maintain company image.

Not a flexible Company to Work with

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work/task, little supervision, don't have to work off of comission

Cons

Working every single weekend fri & sat, no exceptions, little pay, little room for growth

They Expect A lot for Very Little

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time

Pros

Working with great people
    Great discount
    Easy dress code

Cons

Working alone frequently
    Piercing ears (no extra pay and you have to juggle other tasks during piercing)
    Management is very involved (there are pm visits and the DM often emails expecting response and sometimes use of texts to interact)
    No breaks (good luck if you are a human being who occasionally eats or pees)
    Monthly planogram changes/markdowns/ect
    Busy work
    Customers/normal retail gripes

Don't expect so much from us. Let us have five minutes of downtime! Also, let us have some incentive for piercing...like putting out a tip jar or even giving us an additional discount on top of our employee discount. ANYTHING
    Also, if you combined icing and claires you could keep the same staff, save on retail space costs, and not have us on single coverage so often/have lower shrink
    Just my opinion...

Just dont.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Um. You get a 50 percent discount

Cons

I was frequently in the top 10 percent of my district, but my district manager called me a "r e t a r d" in front of other managers(I left 6 voice mails for hr and never got a call back) because I voiced my opinion on lack of flexibility (you can only use vacation 30 weeks out of the year, and even then, they can still deny you if the store is understaffed), lack of breaks (seriously, I got less than 10 paid breaks in the 2 years I was there), being forced to cover shifts if someone called in (if you opened the store and the closer calls in sick, you must find someone to cover it, or close the store. If not, you get written up), frequently working alone, and poor pay for work expectations. Oh, and they shorted/messed up 7 of my last 9 paychecks.

Optical Illusion

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount.. can honestly say that is all.

Cons

Management is subpar.. told to bend over backwards for a subpar store and little to no benefits. Expected to exceed daily goals with little to no traffic in and out of mall.

Listen to current employees and take note of heavy theft.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!