Claire's Stores

Updated September 11, 2014
2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting Job.... some pros but many cons

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashua, NH

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy.

Cons

Ear-piercing babies was awful... The management used fear rather than reward. Minimum wage job with inflexible hours as well as not enough hours. Another downside is having to work during holidays- especially Christmas, long hours on the days leading up to Christmas- until 11pm some nights and all shifts you stay standing the whole time.

N/A

Typical Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment was fun at times. The employee discount was great, 50% off! We also received an end of the year bonus.

Cons

Management was horrible. Ear piercing babies is soul-crushing. The pay was minimum wage. The hours were sparse and all over the place. Inventory...

Treat your employees with a shred of decency... Being condescending is not appreciated nor is it helpful.

Fun but not a life decision

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount. Fun staff. Happy atmosphere. Ear piercings. Celebrate parties. Working with all types of people every day.

Cons

Working alone for as long as 8 hours. Not always getting clear direction from upper management. Company expecting everything to be the same not taking into account different shapes, volumes, sizes, and demographic of stores.

Pay your people. If you expect us to work always alone, with a huge list of tasks, and customer service, and sales....and only give us the bare minimum of allocated hours to do so, pay us more. I was given a 16 cent raise after turning my store from a total hole to one people come to for a reason. And I can't hire more people because then I'll have 5 hours to give each employee and who wants to stay with a company that only pays them 5 hours a week?

Save money on all that unnecessary marketing, go electronic with CNNs, and stop sending us moldy merchandise to later destroy and pay your people what they deserve. If you pay us more, our quality of work will improve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

if you have to work retail don't work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Nyack, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay if you've never had work experience
    flexible hours
    half off everything in the store

Cons

screaming babies from ear piercings
    bad management
    kids running through the store all the time
    putting back the items on the shelf (it's like where's waldo except worse)

It was a fun job with a great discount and fun environment, but management wasn't always the best.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Third Key in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% Employee Discount, Fun Dress Up Days, Accountability, Dress Up Days, Specialty, Fashion Forward

Cons

Working Alone, Some Management was not educated, Too much drama, not promoting from within, store management not having a great work-life balance

Keep the drama at home! Learn how to hire the correct people for the positions. Also, learn to promote from WITHIN! AND DON'T PROMOTE JUST FRIENDS FOR DM POSITIONS! A lot of the store managers that deserve promotions, you just keep them hanging around, telling them they're fit for DM positions/training positions and then filling it with other people......not ok!

It was great at some points and terrible at others

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

-50% discount
    -Manager (my 3rd one, anyway)
    -Piercing ears
    -Parties

Cons

-Horrible upper management
    -Bad sales practice
    -Very inconsistent hours
    -Poor employee treatment from staff
    -Drama

-Take time to empathize with each store. Give your DM (district manager) less stores so that they can focus better on them.

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

Pretty good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

Cons

The long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Change the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

RUN AWAY- RETAIL NIGHTMARE HERE

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a job, I guess....That is really about all anyone can say for it. Benefits are offered but good look affording them.

Cons

Too many silly time consuming tasks, no breaks- even to pee, staff is provided and all just children, company ceo quit so headquarters is a joke, company is in bad shape financially

Get out while you still can

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!