Claire's Stores

www.clairestores.com
Profile Unclaimed

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

It wasn't my favorite

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores.

Cons

The people I worked with were cliquey and rude to me and to the customers. We didn't have a lot of direction and they always made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

Give employees tasks instead of just having them stand there

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

It was Sucky.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50 % off employee discount was good. It's the most I have ever gotten before. And the dress code is fun.

Cons

I hated the management. The amount of sign changes are ridiculous. Way too many. Soo much tedious product. Just no.

I can't ever walk into a Claire's again

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, opportunity for growth (in store only), fun merchandise, fast paced, never bored

Cons

Low payroll so mostly one on one coverage, no meal breaks and sometimes very hard to take a restroom break, conflicting direction from higher mgrs, staffing issues go overlooked for too long, high stress on Mgmnt team, high shrink, unprofessionalism on dm level including gossip and profanity

Dm's shouldn't be allowed to text you past 10pm. There is too much money being wasted on unused marketing which only clutters our marketing station and damages the signs we really need. Markdowns should be done every two months with more payroll allocation to ensure completeness, because being behind on a task every month only hurts the business and store morale. Give more pog hours or make a new pog with more reasonable moves.

A company that lacks professionalism as sever as this company is a company you DON'T want to be employed with.

Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've met wonderful people through this job, including other employees and customers. Being an ear piercer was fun (I was trained correctly, in a Claire's located in Orlando, FL). The employee discount of 50% is a nice perk, along with cute merchandise. The job doesn't require a lot of physical toll. That's literally all this company has to offer.

Cons

The DM, store managers, etc, DO NOT care about their employees. All these people are looking for is someone to be there and making sure the store is open and the cashiers are going. I've had to miss classes countless times to cover shifts that need to be covered. Oh, and that's another thing, they're always embarrassingly understaffed, this makes the employees who do work there become overworked and underpaid for the toll it takes. Schedules are always changing, managers promise promotions with no intention of giving it, the DM I had would get in your personal space that can be considered as sexual assault, DM insults employees on appearances, store manager leaves an hour and half before their shifts end store managers who don't clean, do shipment, or anything at all and, this store does NOT actually train their ear piercers!! They just throw the new employees into it! I was trained back in Orlando, FL and I came to find out that this store did no type of training remotely close to what I was trained. Basically, all this says is Claire's needs to recheck themselves as a company. They treat their employees unethically!

If your company had better managers and paid your employees better I'd guarantee you'd have happy employees and happy customers!! Even make better sales! How you treat your employees now shows when they work, maybe that's why your company is going down the hole this year!!!

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount that makes it easy to buy their products. Once in a while you get to meet some sweet recurring customers and great coworkers. I have learned about how to run a store and deal with all types of people. This has greatly improved my customer service skills and management abilities.

Cons

Trying to advance has been difficult. Asking to be put on a development plan is like pulling teeth. I've been put in charge of the store several times including acting manager for another store. But just can't seem to get made into manager of my own store. It makes it hard to like this company. They have unrealistic goals at times with too many tasks to complete while still asking you to make sales plan and just focus on customers.

Stop expecting miracles. Not everything can always be done on time. Not all sales goals can be met. Make sure your district managers are actually capable of running a district and understand how the store/company works. People new to the Claire's life usually don't fully understand what it's like to run a store because they are always hired from outside the company. That is your downfall. If you hire from inside the company it will tend to succeed.

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

Claire's Stores Photos