Claremont Graduate University

3.9

Robert Klitgaard

Great Graduate University

I worked at Claremont Graduate University part-time for less than a year

Pros

small class, friendly employers, learn a lot

Cons

less salary and small campus

Negative experience

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than a year

Pros

A few great professors and laid back environment

Cons

long process to get funding and then when funds come in, they are poorly managed.

Audit, listen, and take action.

Solid place to work, great benefits and W/L balance, sort of isolated

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University

Pros

CGU is a solid place to work. Pay is competitive and benefits are generous, and the "university atmosphere" is nice. Claremont's also beautiful.

Cons

The university could be better managed. Promotions don't always seem to be tied to performance. And while the university is a very nice place to work, it sometimes feels like an island unto itself.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doctoral student researcher in the School of Social Science, Policy, and Evaluation

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

My advisor is supportive, thoughtful, and really does everything in her power to support my professional development as a researcher. She goes above and beyond what is expected of her, and I know that after I graduate I will continue to have a great professional and personal relationship with her.

Cons

There is a lot of dense course work to get through the first year, which makes many students not want to take the additional responsibility of joining a research lab- DO IT anyways.

Fulfilling, engaged work as a graduate student researcher

I worked at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amiable connections with professors (which is fantastic for really learning how life as a researcher/practitioner works), good way to build one's career while in school,

Cons

Pay is limited by grant funding and academic budgets, so you might get decently lucky or you might be harshly underpaid considering the high cost of tuition and the fact that most of the researchers effectively have Master-level degrees in the relevant field

Top-tier management at the school is extremely (entirely) disconnected from the typical student. Considering how small the school is, this is pretty sad. I would really love to see the senior management actually spending time to get to know students and hear their concerns

A great place to work as a full-time student!

Current Employee - Student Worker  in  Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a student, management is very flexible on how and when my work get's done. They really want to see you advance in your career or academic field.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to balance being both a student and an employee at the same time. There is often no separation of roles.

CGU is a great as you want to be, with a few caveats

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University full-time

Pros

Pleasant campus and working environment. Faculty and staff are committed and hard working. Opportunities for professional growth and advancement seem to be available to those who want to progress in their careers. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Financial model is not working. Constrained budgets foster interdepartmental competition for resources resulting in a lack of university-wide cohesion. Like anyplace, there are a few obstructive individuals in powerful positions. Job placement for new grads is a problem. The university lacks a strategic vision and compelling story, thereby reducing fundraising and student recruitment results.

Tighten up the strategic vision and focus on what CGU does well. Cut academic programs that are not performing. Identify goals and keep us marching toward them together. We need a positive story to tell. Balance the budget!

Great place to study, but limited work and internship opportunities.

I worked at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small, intimate, respectful work and professional environment.

Cons

Location is not great (Inland Empire), and the resources for optimizing systems and talent seem limited.

Make better use of the professional expertise on the faculty in actually managing the institution.

Educationally Fulfilling

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University

Pros

Great culture, great staff, great students

Cons

Administrators and upper management treat students well, but staff poorly. Superiority complex apparent.

Provide more benefits to staff employees and do something (take a pay cut) to address the obscene wage gap between staff and administrators

A very good university with untapped human capital

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This school attracts and admits many strong applicants ready to be challenged by great professors who have strong research credentials and high student performance expectations. The environment is academic and collegial.

Cons

Some administrative departments have ongoing problems that have lasted too long and need to change. This can be frustrating for employees who want to improve both the student (client) experience and the efficient management of limited financial resources.

It would be beneficial if management could improve the communication between administrators, professors, and students.

Worked for Claremont Graduate University? Contribute to the Community!