Claremont Graduate University

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Klitgaard

Solid place to work, great benefits and W/L balance, sort of isolated

ProsCGU is a solid place to work. Pay is competitive and benefits are generous, and the "university atmosphere" is nice. Claremont's also beautiful.

ConsThe university could be better managed. Promotions don't always seem to be tied to performance. And while the university is a very nice place to work, it sometimes feels like an island unto itself.

Negative experience

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Claremont, CA

ProsA few great professors and laid back environment

Conslong process to get funding and then when funds come in, they are poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit, listen, and take action.

Doctoral student researcher in the School of Social Science, Policy, and Evaluation

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Claremont, CA

ProsMy advisor is supportive, thoughtful, and really does everything in her power to support my professional development as a researcher. She goes above and beyond what is expected of her, and I know that after I graduate I will continue to have a great professional and personal relationship with her.

ConsThere is a lot of dense course work to get through the first year, which makes many students not want to take the additional responsibility of joining a research lab- DO IT anyways.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling, engaged work as a graduate student researcher

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Claremont, CA

ProsAmiable connections with professors (which is fantastic for really learning how life as a researcher/practitioner works), good way to build one's career while in school,

ConsPay is limited by grant funding and academic budgets, so you might get decently lucky or you might be harshly underpaid considering the high cost of tuition and the fact that most of the researchers effectively have Master-level degrees in the relevant field

Advice to Senior ManagementTop-tier management at the school is extremely (entirely) disconnected from the typical student. Considering how small the school is, this is pretty sad. I would really love to see the senior management actually spending time to get to know students and hear their concerns

A great place to work as a full-time student!

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Claremont, CA

ProsAs a student, management is very flexible on how and when my work get's done. They really want to see you advance in your career or academic field.

ConsSometimes difficult to balance being both a student and an employee at the same time. There is often no separation of roles.

CGU is a great as you want to be, with a few caveats

Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsPleasant campus and working environment. Faculty and staff are committed and hard working. Opportunities for professional growth and advancement seem to be available to those who want to progress in their careers. Great work/life balance.

ConsFinancial model is not working. Constrained budgets foster interdepartmental competition for resources resulting in a lack of university-wide cohesion. Like anyplace, there are a few obstructive individuals in powerful positions. Job placement for new grads is a problem. The university lacks a strategic vision and compelling story, thereby reducing fundraising and student recruitment results.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighten up the strategic vision and focus on what CGU does well. Cut academic programs that are not performing. Identify goals and keep us marching toward them together. We need a positive story to tell. Balance the budget!

Great place to study, but limited work and internship opportunities.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Claremont, CA

ProsSmall, intimate, respectful work and professional environment.

ConsLocation is not great (Inland Empire), and the resources for optimizing systems and talent seem limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better use of the professional expertise on the faculty in actually managing the institution.

Educationally Fulfilling

ProsGreat culture, great staff, great students

ConsAdministrators and upper management treat students well, but staff poorly. Superiority complex apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more benefits to staff employees and do something (take a pay cut) to address the obscene wage gap between staff and administrators

A very good university with untapped human capital

Claremont, CA

ProsThis school attracts and admits many strong applicants ready to be challenged by great professors who have strong research credentials and high student performance expectations. The environment is academic and collegial.

ConsSome administrative departments have ongoing problems that have lasted too long and need to change. This can be frustrating for employees who want to improve both the student (client) experience and the efficient management of limited financial resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial if management could improve the communication between administrators, professors, and students.

Information Systems and Technology

Research Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery friendly faculty members
    Very friendly campus and learning environment
    Very experienced faculty members in terms of research and teaching.
    Very prestigious school and students

ConsToo small and unless living in the area, not too many people know about the school and the quality of its education.

Worked for Claremont Graduate University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claremont Graduate University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Claremont Graduate University CEO Robert Klitgaard. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Claremont Graduate University employees.