Clarity Consulting

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
4.8

Jeff Smith

Great work culture, occassionally marred by unnecessary stresses caused by poor management.

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time

Pros

- The company culture is generally very employee-centric; it's clear that Clarity's employees are cared about by the higher-ups.
    - There are a lot of very talented, smart, and fun people to work with here, who are generally very willing to share their knowledge and experience
    - Good benefits too.

Cons

- There are a mix of project managers here, some experienced, some not so much; how well a project goes for you as a developer can often depend on who your manager is, so it's a bit of a crap shoot sometimes.
    - There's a bit of a ceiling to how much you can make as just a developer; you can't make as much as an average manager no matter how excellent/valuable you are as a developer.

Don't throw developers under the bus towards the end of a project. Even if the client is having issues finding budget, don't remove the EM from the project to save them money and leave the EE to fend for themself, even if they're experienced

My Clarity Consulting experience has been fun, challenging, and rewarding.

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working at Clarity because of the talent. The office layout alone makes you feel more relaxed in comparison to a typical corporate-structure office. I see the office culture as talented professionals focused on what he/she needs to do each day, but can ask for help whenever he/she needs it. All the Clarity employees I have met so far are self-driven yet very cordial. For instance, I received greeting from several. It seemed like anticipation for more talented people to join the team. It was very welcoming.

Cons

Being an employee with technical expertise, I would value having an MSDN license. Here they don't have that, however you do have access to all the Microsoft software you may need. Again, this may be a bit picky, but I would like that as a developer. The only other point is the remote work policy. I believe self-motivated individuals can get work done anywhere and at any time. That being said, I feel the remote work policy is not as flexible as I would need it to be. Again, this can be seen as picky, but those are my only issues.

I think management is doing a great job so far. One thing that can be improved is that I've noticed some partners are very visible, but most others are not. I believe conversing, even knowing employees are around, is important to cohesiveness. I understand this is a tough issue since changing thinking is not an easy task.

Fantastic place to work!!

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with a group of really smart people with similar interests has been great! The leadership is incredible and the management is open to everyone's input. The office itself is unbelievable. Great break room and office layout. No cubicles here which is nice. everyone is able to talk to whoever they need whenever. All managers and principles make themselves available all day and always have their office doors open.

Cons

Not many cons working here. Consulting is consulting so expect some travelling but Clarity itself is a great place to be!

Keep up the good work! I'm very happy here

Working at Clarity has challenged me from day one and given opportunities to grow

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time

Pros

-You can get a lot of responsibility and experience quickly if you're willing to work hard
    -You get to work with very smart people
    -You get to work on interesting technology and business problems

Cons

-Work life balance is tough with any job, especially a services firm and while policies have changed to make things easier I still struggle with this
    -Again, part of any consulting job, but staffing locations can be unpredictable which is tough for a lot of people

-Continue to work on finding ways to provide feedback to experienced employees
    -We sometimes don't have a clear identity and try to be good at everything or anything

Control your own destiny

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One thing I can't stress enough about Clarity is the culture. Almost everyone has a tech background and the partners can sling (good) code if necessary. There are a lot of driven, smart people here. If you want to grow at Clarity, the only person stopping you is you. All levels of management are easily accessible and will assist/encourage employee growth. Overall, we aren't the "cool kids" with hammocks, scooters, and other gimmicks just to show how tech-savvy we are. We have the right balance of a relaxed, yet productive environment to allow us to create some pretty cool things.

Company promotes churn on projects, so nobody is staffed at the same client for over a year (roughly) unless they want to be.

Cons

Typical consulting pains such as depending on the client, the commute can be a pain. They do try to take employee's commute into consideration when staffing a project, but sometimes they can't do anything about it and you have a long commute.

Most company social activities involve monthly happy hours at bars around Chicago with the same ten people showing up.

Don't compromise on our quality standards in an effort to meet aggressive company growth goals.

Continue staying transparent

Great opportunity for development

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent management at all levels. There are many career paths to take within Clarity Consulting. Company offers very good work and life balance. Excellent working environment - co-workers are willing to help out all the time.
    I have been at Clarity Consulting over a year now and really love it here, All the projects I was staffed to involved new tech, impressive clients and challenging tasks.
    Overall great company to work for.

Cons

Can't think of anything yet

Continue the recognition even at the lowest level.

Great environment to work

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great, smart, and motivate coworkers willing to help/guide/teach
    -Variety of projects (from a type, technology, and field point of view)
    -Flex work hours
    -Very casual office space

Cons

-Little to no choice on project placement
    -Some projects require travel in variant distances
    -The number of meetings can sometimes make it difficult to get into a good work groove

Excellent, challenging, rewarding experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are very talented, hard-working, career-focused, and interested in cutting edge technology. Big-name clients, interesting projects. Competitive salaries, good benefits package. Merit-based career opportunities (not tenure-based). Company is generally well-run (partners are all qualified, practical, long-term employees), healthy client pipeline, steady company growth the whole time I've been here. Nice new home office, good location downtown.

Cons

Rotating nature of the consulting job requires that you are constantly developing your personal skillset to be ready for the next project. You also have to be very flexible - we work at the client site, some of which can be up to an hour away, so you occasionally have to deal with a long commute or spartan office setting for a few months. Depending on the project, you may be working on a technology or business sector that you are not interested in. You really need to work hard to stand out from the crowd since a lot of employees are qualified and pushing for advancement.

Mandate standardized training so that employees don't get "stale" on one technology while working on another. Mandate a new-hire training program so entry-level new hires are more immediately productive.

Clarity Consulting Response

Sep 19, 2014Director, Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that Clarity is providing you with a rewarding experience. We are always looking to improve how we operate so your advice to management will definitely be ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work, latest and greatest technologies, challenging, great work environment, great people, great opportunities. There is a strong feeling of empowerment at all levels and the ability to make a difference.

Cons

Clarity grows and develops internally very well, from college hires to those with moderate experience. However, there is not a good path for seasoned and advanced experience. There is not a natural means for joining into the established upper roles and groups.

Considering providing way to open the inner circle more with added insights to sales, proposals, staffing and other strategic efforts. Especially for those who have more advanced backgrounds and experience.

Balance Is The Key

I have been working at Clarity Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great company culture (monthly outings, quarterly meetings, friendly/helpful co-workers)
    -Great benefits
    -Great pay
    -Great perks (Free snacks, drinks, tickets to sporting events, etc)
    -Flexible hours
    -Excellent work-life balance. I rarely ever needed to work over 40 hours/week (maybe 2-3 times in 6 months), and when I did need to it was my own fault
    -Fantastic PTO policy
    -Annual salary review

Cons

-Organizational structure means that although there are a lot of employees (100+), you will often be working in a very small team (or alone) on projects.
    -Must learn-on-the-fly, usually with little or no training from a senior engineer. (Probably not uncommon in the industry)

Clarity Consulting Photos